Chia

Options
Hey. I have been readin up on Chia seeds and there nutritional value and will be giving it a go. Who else eats them and can you provide me with any tips or suggestions on what to buy and how to use them?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    what's this? You mean like Chia Pet seeds? googling.........
  • tshroll
    Options
    Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, but also have 70 cal per TBSP. I sprinkle them on my half of an avocado, or sprinkle them on my fried egg. They are pretty tasteless and can go with anything savory. The only weird thing about them is that they get soggy really easily and if you don't floss after you eat them, you will find a really soggy seed that's pretty slimey in your mouth several hours later - LOL! But give them a try - fiber is a good thing!
    I get mine at Whole Foods in the bulk section, but I know they are also available bagged in the "natural foods" section of other markets. I haven't been able to find any labeled "organic" unfortunately.
  • DavidOfOz
    Options
    Theyre also supposed to be a gre source of Omega 3 and protein, arent they??
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A lot of people just throw them in water or juice and drink them, others seem to love to add them to oatmeal and make overnight oatmeal - but I find the oatmeal kind of gross that way. Drinking them is an easy way to add them in, but they do absorb liquid and get gel-like. Which reminds me that I read somewhere that some people like to make them into a gel and use it over a couple of days, but I can't remember what they use the gel for. I'm sure if you google them you'll find lots of ideas.
  • I have just started using them myself this is a recipe I use.

Ingredients for one serve
    1 serve of plain unsweetened yogurt (about a cupful)
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    one third of a cup of good quality unswetened fruit juice — I have used cranberry, pomegranate, mixed berry, cloudy apple, apple and mango, orange and mango and apricot. All taste great. Of course, you can also juice your own fruit.
    Method
    Mix the chia seeds into the juice and leave for 10 to 15 minutes to form a gel
    Put the yogurt into a bowl, pour the fruit juice gel over the top then swirl the gel through a couple of times.
    I think it looks and tastes much nicer if you can see the two toned effect, but some people like to mix the gel and yogurt together more thoroughly. Experiment to see which way you prefer yours
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I've used chia in smoothies before. Google "chia pudding", you'll find some interesting dessert/ snack ideas.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I eat Chia daily with my breakfast, and sometimes other times as well. I use it for the fiber, protein and omega 3s.
  • maorilover
    Options
    Just a quick note, if you have low blood pressure you need to keep an eye on it as these seeds, are known for reducing blood pressure.