Bored on Rest Days

sportygal1971
sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
I've over trained many times in the past so I know how important rest days are. However w the governmental lockdown there isn't much to do, or it's too much of a hassle.
I thought about the shooting range, but I can't do that every week due to cost. I'm sure as tired of TV, movies, and sure a hike can sort of be rest, but it's winter. I usually would go have coffee, but even that isn't realistic with my stupid state basically putting citizens on house arrest for anything fun.
So my question is, what do you do on a rest day to keep from being bored?

Replies

• yasminekassis613
    yasminekassis613 Posts: 268 Member
    edited January 2021
    Just a few little things I’ve done or like to do to keep myself occupied.

Puzzles, game boards, rearranging/ organizing the house, experimenting with recipes ( invite a friend or family member over and cook together) , calling up a friend to chat and catch up, video chats are fun too, reading, playing some fun music to dance to, those colour/ paint by number projects.. colouring for adult books, taking up some sort of craft knitting, crocheting, cross stitching, taking some time to yourself sitting in peace to meditate, start up a little journal.

That’s all I got for now haha.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I like sewing, reading, and making things out of all the cardboard I'm getting from Amazon deliveries, lol. Cardboard & duct tape... my grandkids have a full bevy of swords, costumes, etc. Pinterest has some great ideas.

Also fun: photography sessions, set up mock scenes with little Army men or Lego people and experiment with taking photos. Also fun to do with pets.

Depending on where you are, bird watching and identifying the sounds of different birds is a relaxing way to pass some time, and there are some websites that will help you, such as the Cornell School of Ornithology.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    DIYs, transforming my storage area into a videoconferencing-friendly office, running stairs outdoors, waiting for enough proper snow to cross country ski on the trail in my neighborhood, binge watching Amazon Prime (umm, The Boys S2? Not that great 🤷🏿‍♀️).

And so it goes til the world gets its poop in a row about this pandemic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't really have a true "rest day"...but I manage my training load during the week much better than I used to. I take them here or there if that is what I'm feeling my body needs for some additional recovery or there's just life goings on that interfere with plans...but for the most part my training, either on the bike or in the weight room is programmed as such as to be variable in intensity and volume and allow for active recovery a couple of days per week, but I'm still training.

That said, only 3 days per week are in the weight room and I always have rest from that in between workouts...on other days I'm on my bike trainer, and while a couple of my workouts are fairly vigorous cardio work, it's still cycling and pretty low impact. Saturdays are pretty mellow...so I guess if I were to call any day a rest day it would be Saturday...but if it's nice out I'll still go get on my mountain bike and tool around the local trails near my house for a bit and maybe do some yoga...if it's too cold or windy I still usually get on my trainer and zwift and tool around Wattopia or one of the other maps.

I also walk pretty much everyday around 2.5-3 miles...usually in the morning with my travel mug of coffee. I like to get in around 8-10K steps per day in addition to my structured exercise being that I'm otherwise sitting at my desk working. If I don't go for my walks, I can easily have racked up only 2500 steps or so by COB and I find that disturbing even if I'm doing other things exercise wise.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Sleep.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Its my house cleaning day
  • AsthmaticHippo
    AsthmaticHippo Posts: 62 Member
    I’m strict on my rest days at weekends so I can spend time with the family. I do suffer from feeling really lazy though.
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    Great ideas folks. I did rest and hitting the gun range was a good activity yesterday, but it'll be nice to try some of your ideas.
    I do coloring books and read too. And yes, cleaning the house is a go to thing to do.
    Happy Health Everyone!