Calories in calories out myth ?

Today I was watching this video of this weight loss coach on yutube going on about how counting calories doesn't work long-term because your body eventually adjust to less food which why most people plateau after restricting calories for while. He gave an example of person who ate 5000 calories of lean protein and whole food and never gained a single pound yo support his argument of saying it has to do with the type of foods you eat when it comes to wright loss.

Then he said, someone who ate the same amount calories but ate refined carb , process foods and junk but gained 15 lbs. I was thinking how is that possible? Funny thing is he recommendeds interment fasting to lose weight instead of counting calories...I know counting calories isn't everyone style but I'vr always known that eating healthy will result into consuming less calories which why people will still lose weight without directly counting calories..looking for insights

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    IF is a strategy to help reduce calorie consumption...calorie counting is another strategy...low carb and other diets are yet other strategies of reducing calorie consumption. The bottom line is that when you consume fewer calories than your body requires, you will lose weight...and it is the only way to lose weight.

So who was this 5000 calorie guy? What did he do? Once upon a time I could eat that much and wouldn't gain weight either, and it most certainly wasn't all protein or whatever. I worked landscape construction and was moving and lifting and moving gravel, etc 10-12 hours per day...I also didn't own a car and walked or biked everywhere. If he's just saying it's some guy who doesn't do anything but can eat 5000 calories, he's full of *kitten*.

Also...YouTube isn't really the best information a lot of the time...anyone can say anything...hell, my kids have their own YouTube channels and I certainly wouldn't be taking much advice from them on many things.
  • Illusions20
    Illusions20 Posts: 16 Member
    I have read a few interesting studies that suggest there is a little more to it than CICO. Hormones and circadian rhythm play a part as well. I believe these things are still under investigation but if I remember right calories eaten during the day are less likely to be stored because the the body is more metabolically active. Eating right before bed on the other hand was associated with higher weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,738 Member
    I have read a few interesting studies that suggest there is a little more to it than CICO. Hormones and circadian rhythm play a part as well. I believe these things are still under investigation but if I remember right calories eaten during the day are less likely to be stored because the the body is more metabolically active. Eating right before bed on the other hand was associated with higher weight.

Any research on timing I've seen so far, that didn't have material problems in methodology**, showed either no effects, or effects so very small that they would not outweigh compliance factors****, as a practical matter.

If you've seen something more substantial in terms of research results, please post a link to the studies.

** Such as unmonitored self-reported consumption
    **** By compliance factors, I mean things like personal satisfaction's effect on sticking with a diet long enough to lose meaningful amounts of weight; the impact on sleep for people whose sleep quality is poor if their stomach's empty; and that sort of thing.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Thats actually not really why people plateau. They plateau because they aren't diligently counting any more. The count but don't weigh their food as much or eyeball portions they used to not. Or they fail to reduce their calories as they lose weight.

Maybe if they ate WAY too little for an extended period that youtube person would be right but this is not the recommended way to "count".
  • JBashkoff
    JBashkoff Posts: 14 Member
    CICO is always true. What can change is the CO based on metabolism and how your body burns calories. It doesn't change that much though at rest. You change it with movement and exercise and of course you control the CI part by what you eat. A calorie in is a calorie in but a calorie of fiber may take more for your body to metabolize than a calorie of refined sugar, not enough more to make a difference overall though in my opinion. You also have to consider nutrition and satisfaction. A calorie that brings you nutrients like a vegetable is going to have larger volume and keep you full longer versus just a calorie of of oil which has no nutritional value and no volume to keep you full.