Plateau?

Options
For the past three days I've weighed in at 112.4lb. Is this a plateau upcoming or not? I only started exercising properly on the 2nd September and going to the gym but I do go on the treadmill everyday and that's it.

I intake 1200 calories per day, this is my choice as eating back exercise calories works for some and not for others.

How do you avoid a plateau? Does changing your diet fix it easily or must your exercise change?

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For the past 3 days???? Stop weighing yourself daily. I am pretty sure others will post here explaining why.
  • Splasheh
    Splasheh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For the past 3 days???? Stop weighing yourself daily. I am pretty sure others will post here explaining why.

The second day I weighed myself for a reason then I was curious if my weight was staying the same today, so I will weigh myself daily if I like and if it's upon certain circumstances.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    3 days is not a good reference. It may be water retention, bloating, etc. I think a better measurement of a plateau would be weeks or even months. Do not worry about days, really. One time I lost 6 pounds in 12 hours without trying. Turns out it was water weight. Weigh yourself weekly, because if you do it daily it will drive you crazy. Good luck to you!
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Weighing only 112, you obviously dont have much to lose. So losing weight will be a slower process for you. Dont expect to lose weight over night. Plus, weight fluncuates, so its better to weigh yourself once a week around the same time.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Research suggests that people who weigh themselves daily do better at controlling their weight. Don't let anyone tell you not to =)

As far as breaking a plateau, different approaches work for different people; you just need to see what works for you. Sometimes zig-zagging my calories works for me and other times I need to switch up my exercise routine--there's really no ONE answer.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    3 days is definitely not a plateau, probably just normal fluctuations due to changes in your body.
    As you are already a pretty low weight (probably in normal range, depending on your height) you won't lose weight as fast as someone who has lots to lose.
    As you have chosen to eat a low calorie diet, make sure every calorie counts to get enough nutrition into your body.
    Lots of people report success with changing around your exercise and cycling (zigzagging) calories.
  • I've always heard if you hit a plateau that you should change your exercise routine. I would recommend increasing your calorie intake and eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day to get your metabolism going. I'd also recommend maybe weighing yourself once a week, doing it daily your weight will fluctuate and you won't really see the results you're looking for. But if you've just started I'd give it atleast two weeks to see true results. Hope this helps but give it time and you'll get where you want to be. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    For the past three days I've weighed in at 112.4lb. Is this a plateau upcoming or not? I only started exercising properly on the 2nd September and going to the gym but I do go on the treadmill everyday and that's it.

I intake 1200 calories per day, this is my choice as eating back exercise calories works for some and not for others.

How do you avoid a plateau? Does changing your diet fix it easily or must your exercise change?
    This isn't a plateau. You've exercised for a week so your body is adjusting to eat by retaining water and glycogen. A plateau would be 6 or more weeks of no weight change while staying consistent with diet and exercise.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i am fairly new here, but since then i have noticed (i also weigh every day) that when i start a new workout i either gain a lb, or stay the same for a few days :)