Pete escaping the Lockdown Blues "Bolton UK"

Options
Hey all fellow FitnessPal pps. Just a quick shout out as I'm new here and getting back into running. Lockdown down in the north west UK has been a bit tough on me and I need to reverse the effects of the last 12 months. 😁👍

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,730 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :flowerforyou:

What are your short-term goals to get started, particularly as you say you're "getting back into" running? Maybe some of your goals can spark ideas for others. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Do it!

Walking and running have saved my sanity. I’m lucky enough to have a terrific path a block from the house, and usually have it all to myself.

Can you all even get out to run? I am reading horror stories over here (USA) of Brits getting arrested for “picnicking” by simply carrying coffee cups.

If you’re looking to add weight loss to the mix, be sure to enter your stats here, weigh and log.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Outdoors=freedom right now. Enjoy yourself!!!!
  • AsthmaticHippo
    AsthmaticHippo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    All these lockdowns and restrictions have been tough. Running is certainly a great way to exercise but also relieve some of the stresses that everyone is going through
  • PeteyJG77
    PeteyJG77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I remember looking at running a few years ago but decided I couldn't fit into my lifestyle. Anyway I started slowly, just running in the evenings and running for 10 mins. This was 2 to 3 times a week when I was bored in the evening. I noticed that my fitness improved and my running speed improved. I then joined a running group in my local town and the rest was history.

The thing is you have to take your time to become fit (unless your gifted). Just start a simple routine like with weight loss. Supprisinglyin being active in the evenings is a great start. Replacing watching soaps with getting active. Measuring your progress on a monthly basis is a good idea to.

If you take up running, give this time as the more you do, your weight and wellbeing can dramatically improve.

Remember weight / form takes time. I'd say have a 6 month plan and revisit this then and see how you have changed.

I found that I went from 1km to 5 km running really quickly but getting to 10k took time and effort. The next step was a half marathon which you need support on ideas like running form.... But who knows you could achieve things you never expected. As of now I was lucky to run in 2019 London marathon.. And although this past 12 months has been tough, making friends along the way and making life changes previously has made the covid situation easier for me.

Remember your life is your Journey and you are your own boss.
  • PeteyJG77
    PeteyJG77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can run but it has to be within a distance and time near your home address. Yes this is a tough time all over the world for wellbeing / health and financial issues. Thanks for the info I'll check the links you sent springerling62