Want to love life again

I am a 46 year old stay at home mom that has realized I have gained 50lb+, I’m always tired, and tired of not wanting to do fun things anymore, because I’m embarrassed of my weight. I want to love life again, and feel healthy and strong. I want to look in the mirror and love what I see again. I want to be able to stay fit, and healthy, so I can still do fun active things with my family, and still be around for them when I’m older.

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    My heart really really goes out to you! I can hear how much you want the joyful and healthy version of you again, I completely relate. Finding your why is a big step in the right direction. I’m so desperate to make 2021 different I refuse to fall back into 2020 patterns. I can’t. This gives me hope that by the end of the year I’ll have so much progress to look back on. You’ve got this! And you know what? You might even enjoy and have fun committing to this process 🤍
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Well, you can achieve all that. Just plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal, buy a digital food scale, start weighing and measuring all your food and drink, and try to stay within your goal everyday. Take your measurements and keep them weekly in a journal. When the scale doesn't budge it's nice to open up that journal and physically see the inches lost. Read the success stories on MFP when you need a pick-me-up.

Just keep going no matter what. Exercise, if you can, and MFP will give you more calories for that day. Good luck.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    jump rope
  • exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    Know that you are among friends, here.

I am in the same boat. After some medication mishaps and a foot injury, I went from a long distance runner and heavy lifter to completely sedentary. Then I got Covid, which has knocked down even my ability to walk for long periods of time. Looking at about a 45lb gain at this point.

That being said, start with small steps. Right now, my goal is just to hit my 10k steps daily. Something that used to be a give for me, is now something I work towards. And that’s okay. Setting small goals will help the overwhelmed feeling, and let you ease into all of this. Even if it’s a small goal once every two weeks, you can keep adding to them without the burn out that many experience with adding too much at one time.

Most of all, good luck. You’ve got this.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I can relate to this somewhat. I've always been overweight, ups and downs here and there. Being a young mom was hard for me to care for myself while caring for children. And it's hecka stressful! Stress=eating for me. :( Looking back there were times of losing a good amount of weight my whole life. Trying to figure out how it happened and why it never stuck(and still doesn't I guess because I'm back to needing to lose 25-30#). *sigh*

You've gotten some wise helpful advice. I'm going to add one more thought and that is, can you get your family on board with your goals? See if you can shop/cook a more healthy way for everybody. Get a physical activity that everybody can enjoy, regular walks, swimming, hiking, biking, anything that promotes movement and fun together. I know someone suggested jumping rope and was disagreed with :/ but that can be a lot of fun actually. Same with hula hoops. Get the music out and do dancing with the kids.
    For me, having regained weight this past year, I feel sooo lazy, depressed, and unmotivated. :( It's cold and all I want to do is curl up with a good book or watch a movie(won't even go into my food intake ). :( Last fall of 2019 I was dancing in my kitchen while cooking. I was walking every day and planking and using my hula hoop and treadmill.
    Now I'm a schlump. :blush: I(and you) need to work on the mindset to turn it all around and find that spark that will light the change we need.
    Maybe set a goal? This might go against some peoples' ways of doing things but my dd and I planned a trip to Iceland for the fall of 2019 and that gave me a definite goal; I wanted to lose weight before I went. So I did. Easy peasy. Did lots of walking while we were there so it inspired me to keep walking when I got home and I did, plus with the holidays coming I wanted to lose more weight. So I did. Then Covid struck and family issues came along, nothing to look forward to or to have as a goal so have been struggling mightily ever since. It's more challenging when you have nothing ahead of you to look forward to. At least that's the way it is for me. :/

Good luck to you!!!! Find that spark that sets you off!!
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    You can absolutely do this, it just takes consistency and time. One thing I would like to add is to not let your weight now stop you. One of the biggest learnings I found in my journey was to enjoy life along the way. Go on vacation, buy clothes that your feel good in, enjoy time with people you love. If I had waited until I lost weight and hit my goal, I would still be waiting. It’s a journey. Doing those things along the way, loving myself along the way, has helped me stick to the journey and stay on the path.

Good luck!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Mom's typically put themselves last; by the time they give to everyone around them..there is nothing left for themselves.

Yet, think of all the energy you'll have for your family when you feel fantastic. It is great that you are going to put yourself first. Come here and take on your journey. As soon as you start eating right and hydrating.. you will immediately start feeling better. This community will help you focus, stay motivated..and will give you a place to come to foster your personal goals. Be sure to read the success forum ..and you will see that many people have had success losing not only 50 pounds ..but much more.

I'm excited for you! Best of luck.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    In 2016 I was in a similar spot to what you’re describing. I started that year off by making a commitment to myself to figure out what a healthier happier me would look like. One thing I decided to do was to start tracking everything I ate and all the exercise I did for one year. I set the year goal so that I wouldn’t be distracted so much by what the scale was doing. The first few weeks were super informative as I started to learn about myself and what I was actually eating. Then I started to develop some goals and notice a few changes n myself. It ended up taking me two years to lose 40 pounds - I’m a plodder rather than a racer lol. And I have maintained it. This last year has been tough for various reasons and I gained about 8 pounds I thinks. So I’m back 😆. I loooove the thread called “what’s your NSV (non scale victory) it is incredibly inspiring as to how people find beautiful ways to change their lives and reach goals .