should I get a Heartrate monitor?

Options
How accurate are heartrate monitors in tracking calories during a workout?
Is it worth the investment? What brands to get or to avoid?

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I Love mine!! Polar is a great brand, though I have a Sportline and it works good too!! I think their pretty accurate...way better than the machines or MFP!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Good ones are good and fairly accurate - certainly more so than anything else you can use.

I use a Polar FT40, but any where you can set up your VO2MAX (or have it approximate it via a fitness test) is ideal.

Some HRMs do nothing more than tell you your HR which leaves you getting a calculator out - they are probably not worth the money.

Like many things in life, you get what you pay for!

Another point is how you might want to use your HRM with other software or systems. Polar HRMs have their own system for transmitting your HR from a chest strap to the watch, whereas others may use something called ANT+ which can be used with other equipment (e.g. a dongle to plug into your iPhone, which can then feed directly into a web service like endomondo).

Have fun researching and enjoy your HRM when you get it!
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    YES! I returned my Body Media Fit armband for one and it was one of the best decisions I've made during my weight loss journey. Polar FT7! That is all.
  • mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 here too! I love it so much. I don't train without it and use it as a great motivator to go hard.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Even if the info is inaccurate, I have found mine to be a powerful motivational tool, can't wax lyrical about it enough! :-D
  • gracemleone
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.. I decided not to get one for the time being because I'm losing weight so I don't need to know exactly what I burn as long as I keep losing. Will get the polar ft4 or ft7 if I get stuck so I can see what I'm burning then.