Bell Pepper recipes?

Options
I am a member of an organic farming co-op, getting fresh fruit and vegetables from locally grown farms every week. I get different things seasonally but right now I have been getting a ton of purple and red bell peppers and have run out of things to do with them.

I've done the stuffed bell pepper recipe and roasted them, but do you have any other suggestions for creating some yummy dishes?

Replies

• Laurla11
    Options
    I'm curious as well! I've been chopping up my bell pepper along with some ham and putting it in with my eggs in the morning, but i'm starting to get burnt out on that. Curious to hear some good bell pepper recipes
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love putting them in fajitas and chili.
    I love making roasted peppers and using them in veggie sandwiches.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    definitely a roasted pepper soup :)
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just made a batch of roasted red pepper soup and love it! It takes awhile to make, but you end up with lots and it freezes quite well. I freeze them in single serving size for when I want a snack that isn't high in calories.
  • DakLady
    Options
    CHOP UP AND FREEZE.........PUT INTO FOODS YOUR COOKING WHILE FROZEN FOR BEST RESULTS, I RAISE MY OWN AND HAVE DONE THIS FOR YEARS,,ALSO FREEZE STUFFED PEPPERS,,COME IN HANDY IN WINTER.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    I see a lot of suggestins for red pepper soup - could someone give us a recipe? Sure sounds good! Thanks
  • BigMamaDiva
    Options
    I cut them in half and freeze them for soups and stews. I also like to saute them with onions, garlic, zucinni, etc with a little EVOO. yum!
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did not know purple bell peppers existed... Learn something new every day! =)

I'd assume you can use the bell peppers as the veggie portion for any recipe that calls for veggies. They might go good with this chicken recipe I found online. Made it a few times already, may need to try it with bell peppers now! =D

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/campbells-cheesy-chicken-and-rice-casserole/detail.aspx
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    CHOP UP AND FREEZE.........PUT INTO FOODS YOUR COOKING WHILE FROZEN FOR BEST RESULTS, I RAISE MY OWN AND HAVE DONE THIS FOR YEARS,,ALSO FREEZE STUFFED PEPPERS,,COME IN HANDY IN WINTER.
    That's what I do with all veggies that I have an abundance of. I have lots of freezer bags with chopped and ready to use veggies in my freezer :)
  • leftymae5454
    Options
    I have use them in place of pizza crust, taste great
  • vickigee
    Options
    I also chop them and keep them in the freezer to use in casseroles but our favorite is in our morning egg beaters. But to have them handy for anything in the freezer is great. You can add them to potatoes if you are baking them to add flavor with the spray butter.
    We make a soft taco and use the wheat tortilla and use (2 oz) 93% lean hamburger, use the (1/8 cup) low fat cheese, lettuce, green peppers, picante, fat free sour cream and fold one end up and fold over the sides. For a women that is usually a good enough serving. Then just have a lettuce salad with more green peppers and the fat free dressing. These make a great meal especially during the summer. Just have to watch the tortillas because of the fat and carb contents in them.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You could make this walnut-pepper spread. It uses roasted red peppers but you could probably use any bell pepper.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/walnut-pepper-spread-recipe/index.html

Also, I love to dip peppers in hummus!
  • cdstormer
    cdstormer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! :smile:
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    OK, you might think this is gross, but I liked it. Take a red bell pepper and get it ready to stuff. Take a scrambled egg, about .5 cup of cottage cheese, some shredded carrots and maybe .25 cup of sliced black olives and mix this up stuff the pepper and slice it length ways and eat! It's pretty good....you can also take canned salmon, chopped cucumbers, and some light mayo mix together and stuff the pepper.....not a ton of flavor to me, but still pretty good.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I made a taco soup with some of mine. I put it in the database.
  • no5wingfan
    Options
    I love to cook...here is one of my new favorites.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Turkey-Stuffed-Bell-Peppers
  • renee474
    renee474 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is one of my family's favorites

Beef Teriyaki Stir Fry
    1 lb beef top round or sirloin steak
    2 t canola oil
    1/8 t seasoned salt
    1/8 t black pepper
    6 T teriyaki sauce, divided
    1 red bell pepper, julienned
    1 medium onion, julienned
    1/2 c water
    2 t corn starch
    Hot cooked rice

Cut beef into strips against the grain. In large skillet, cook beef in oil over high heat until browned. Drain off grease. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, pepper and 3 T teriyaki sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, water and remaining 3 T teriyaki sauce. Add to beef skillet and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes until sauce thickens. Server over rice.
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can roast them. Just wash, put on foil lined pan and broil or bake in the oven 400-450 F for maybe 45 minutes. Let them get cool in the oven, and then peel the top skin off (it will easily come off)
    I eat them just like that as a side dish, with some salt/pepper. They are also yummy off the grill.
    Love Love Love roasted bell pepers!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I would like to know What to replace bell peppers with in recipes. Everything seems to have bell peppers and I'm allergic.
  • curves_
    Options
    I like using red bell peppers to make a "marinara" sauce.

This is what I use.

1 zucchini
    1 red bell pepper
    some olive oil
    some tomato paste
    garlic cloves
    Salt
    Basil
    Cilantro
    Optional: Sun-dried tomatoes

To prepare:
    Peel the zucchini and slice it the long way so that the slices look like thin pasta pieces. Put some salt and let sit for a few mins.
    In a food processor, add a red bell pepper, some tomato paste, basil, garlic cloves, cilantro. Add the olive oil and sun dried tomatoes and salt to taste.
    Take this "pasta sauce", put it over your zucchini and you will have a delicious lunch.