protein grams per lb????

Hey everyone! I was told today by a friend that he tries to eat 190 grams of protein per day since hes 190 pounds... he said this has helped him get to where hes at..(hes totally ripped btw).. how does everyone feel about this??? i know ive read this before, but have never practiced this..

Replies

• is he a body builder????
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Yeah, that's a good minimum to aim for if you do weight training.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    no.. he used to have a lot of fat in high school.. hes 6'2 and was like 240 always built, but now hes ripped to shreds at 190.. he eats a lot of food, and works out hard.. i know its all in what you eat, but damn.. no hes not a body builder to answer your question
  • FBrander
    FBrander Posts: 3 Member
    I think it really depends on your personal goals and how you're training. There was a Men's Health article that stated "highly trained athletes thrive on 0.77 gram of daily protein per pound of body weight." It also said that eating more than what your body can absorb won't reap greater results but won't hurt you either and that you'll just burn it off as extra energy.

I started the P90x program and for the first month it suggests a diet ratio of 50% Protein, 30% Carbs and 20% Fats. So on a 2,400 calorie diet that's 300g of protein. So again, I think it depends what you're doing.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php#ixzz1XXjxwD7F
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    You'll get all sorts of different answers from all sorts of different sources. Personally, from what I have read (i'm no expert, just internet user :laugh: ), I think for most people doing weight lifting, that 1g of protein per pound is a good general guideline. Many body builders go for 1.5x, but most of us are not body builders.

I shoot for 1g per pound myself. Sometimes I'm under, sometimes I'm over. I don't stress about it, I just try to keep my average somewhere around there.
  • I aim for 115g a day, excluding exercise calories which can push it up to 200g a day. Combined with a low fat diet I think that this suits my training,

The only "harm" I read of by eating too much protein is kidney stones, but if you drink plenty of water this shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what "too much" is anyway?