Just joined ...any good mommy tips?

Options
I'm a mommy of a very active 2.5 yr old. Any tips you mommys have with fitting in your exercising with mommy duties, household chores, ect.? I feel I never have time and the exercise is the thing that gets pushed to the back burner. What do you guys do?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym, that way I felt like since I was paying I needed to get the most out of my money. The ladies in the daycare are awesome with the boys and I get a break from my boys (I'm a single but stay at home mom). We get up, have breakfast, get dressed and go to "daycare" for an hour or two. After that I still have plenty of time for household chores, homework and everything else.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm also a mommy--I have a 3 year old and I work and go to school full time, as well as doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. at home. It's really hard for me to squeeze in my exercise in the very limited amount of time I have during the day.

What has helped me is to first realize that I need to do this for myself, because it's important and I need to be healthier to be around for my family that I put so much effort into caring for. Also, I've found a variety of workout DVDs that average about 20-40 minutes so I can still get in a really great workout in as little time as possible. Right now I'd recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's been an intense and really satisfying workout, without being too long.

Hope that helps! Feel free to add me--I'm always happy to give support. :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You must make the decision to take care of yourself and give yourself at least an hour a day to work out. No excuses if you want your body back.

I know it's challenging with the first one -- you think you can't do anything without them. But you can and you must.

Join the gym and go. It's really the best way for you to get the time to yourself. Mothers of one are notoriously guilty-feeling when doing things for themselves.

blessings.
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    I'm a stay home mum of two. We homeschool, so not much time for exercising during the day. I get up at 6 am before the kids and hubby are up and exercise then. I always dread it when the alarm goes off, but once I start I feel so glad that I did. Good luck to you and remember to take care of mommy, too!
  • JigglyPuff2011
    JigglyPuff2011 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I turn everything I can into a potential work out, I have a four year old son and a five year old daughter as well as a 16 year old. If I'm washing dishes I do leg lifts or if I take the kids to the park I walk around in circles where ever they are playing. You are right it is so hard to find time for ANYTHING..LOL, with little children.

You can always incorporate you child into your work out, my kids lay on my legs while I am on my back and I hold their hands and do leg lifts. They love my colorful tension bands and I have one for each of them so we stand side by side and work out together. They don't see it as work at all, the are having a ball and when they are involved I find myself working out longer because THEY DON'T GET TIRED...LOL

It takes some strategic planning but you are a mom you have already proven you can do the impossible. Hoping this little bit helps and welcome to MFP
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    mommy of two,. 4 and 3 and boy are they active. I joined the gym and consider that my me time.. I also go for 1 or 2 mile walk/run and most of the time I bring them along. They love getting out on their tricycle and bike. I just make sure we take water and keep them on the sidewalk. It's lots of fun and they get their exercise too! I just started the JM 30 day shred and I am bringing my laptop into my room and workin it!... they like to come in and sit on the bed and watch mommy sweat. Once I finish it, my Noah says, " you won mommy!" feel free to add me
  • rachelrox81
    rachelrox81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I take my kids for walks in the stroller or let them ride their bikes. Helps them burn off some energy and makes bedtime easier.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If a franchise gym is out of the question (budgets, ick) look into the local parks department. They will sometimes offer classes where your child can be doing one thing while you do something for you, or an inexpensive gym alternative.

Also, now that mine are both in school I make it a point to walk them back and forth. With one in half day kindergarten that is three hilly trips for me: a total of 2.4 miles a day. Those short walks really add up.
  • fusiondanceworks
    Options
    I do my best to work in workouts when she's sleeping. There are days, though, when I just have to schedule the babysitter to watch her for an extra hour. That's kind of a bittersweet thing to do, but I just remind myself that I need to take care of my body so I can take care of her better.
  • shell230274
    shell230274 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a mum of 3 little ones. My oldest is 4 then my next son is 2 and then finally my baby girl is 8 months. I've found that cuting my meals in 5 a day try for six but never have time lol. Cutting down on the carbs & sugar And I go for a walk for about 30-60min put the kids in the pram and off you go. Pushing a pram up the hill is a killer but great work out. I dont get to go every day but I've managed to lose 6 kilos in 5 weeks so I'm happy. Good Luck This site is a great help!
  • shell230274
    shell230274 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    great idea anything to help kids go to sleep at night and lose weight at same time
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The stroller idea is a great one but now my daughter isn't too much of a fan of them anymore. My husband and I try to take her for a walk after dinner but it's a very slow let's look at every leaf or bug sorta walk. Not something great for burning calories but at least I'm getting a few extra steps in. I've thought that maybe I can go push her when she's gonna go for her nap but that problem is were in 3 different classes during the week and typically she falls asleep on way home from them. So if I try n walk her in the stroller she's complaint to get out. I've tried morning before she's up and my husbands up but I'm usually up so late doing chores I wake up same time. I just fill like if a solution pops up then something screws up my schedule and I'm back to square one trying to figure out my day. I know I need to get the idea that I HAVE to make myself a priority into my head ASAP.... And believe it!