Air Fry (NEWBIE)

jessienani
jessienani Posts: 60 Member
Okay, so I just bought my first ever convection oven that has an air fry option. I SUCK at cooking things so I need some Ideas!

What are your really healthy air fry recipes?!

Replies

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    I also just got an air fryer for Christmas and am looking for recipes.

I would say anything you can normally fry you can do in the air fryer. French fries, chicken, even some veggies like fried pickles and such.

Google air fryer recipes for ideas. And if you think of a dish on your own that sounds good, then google how to cook it in an air fryer.
  • pjg2015
    pjg2015 Posts: 28 Member
    This is my favorite appliance – I’ve had mine since February 2020 and I use it no less than twice a day. I bake individual muffins, cake, and breads, I make veggie fries and fritters, I bake fish and meatballs, I toast and warm bread, I reheat leftovers, I’ve tried it all with a 95% success rate. Here are some tips:
    -Cut all your vegetables the same size spread them evenly throughout the pan- don’t overcrowd
    -In the beginning, lower the temperature and lessen the cooking time until you’re familiar with your particular model
    -Flip your food halfway through so that all sides are crisp and even
    -Use panko bread crumbs to bread any meat that you want to give a crust - I do this for fish cakes, fritters, even Mac and cheese.
    3mr1z07ceahj.jpeg
    dbvexfjcmr54.jpeg
    Here’s what I made today: chili lime carrot fries drizzled and olive oil but spritz of vegetable spray would have been fine. So good! I hope you enjoy your new gift.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I would not line with aluminium foil which stops hot air from circulating. Instead buy the silicon mesh sold for lining BBQ grates so that small items like asparagus and shrimp don't fall through. You can cut them size to fit your air fryer and nothing sticks to the silicon mesh.

My favourites are
    Skin on chicken such as wings or thighs. About 20-25 minutes at 200C or until an instant read meat thermometer reads 72C, the safe temperature for chicken. Toss in BBQ sauce or hot sauce afterwards. If you like, pop for another 3 or 4 minutes after tossing on BBQ sauce to caramelize it.

Roast veggies such as broccoli, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower. Coat in olive oil and air fry checking every 5 minutes after 10 minutes for doneness. Cooking time will depend on the vegetable as well as the size.

• pjg2015
    acpgee wrote: »
    I would not line with aluminium foil which stops hot air from circulating. Instead buy the silicon mesh sold for lining BBQ grates so that small items like asparagus and shrimp don't fall through. You can cut them size to fit your air fryer and nothing sticks to the silicon mesh.

My favourites are
    Skin on chicken such as wings or thighs. About 20-25 minutes at 200C or until an instant read meat thermometer reads 72C, the safe temperature for chicken. Toss in BBQ sauce or hot sauce afterwards. If you like, pop for another 3 or 4 minutes after tossing on BBQ sauce to caramelize it.

Roast veggies such as broccoli, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower. Coat in olive oil and air fry checking every 5 minutes after 10 minutes for doneness. Cooking time will depend on the vegetable as well as the size.

Thanks for your guidance, I have been meaning to invest in liners - Will do that soon but honestly foil has been working for me and helps with cleanup.
  • pjg2015
    yczlezw54glz.jpeg
    vzmwkiuvp2zk.jpeg
    Here’s my chunky monkey banana bread made in my air fryer. I make it in a heat pump all and baked it at 300 for 15 minutes
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    What kinds of bakeware can be used safely in an air fryer?
  • acpgee
    Anything you can put in an oven is safe for the air fryer. It is essentially a convecteion oven with a very aggressive fan. I use small pyrex casserole dishes, alumiinium takeout trays, silicon cupcake forms in the air fryer.
  • acpgee
    Just made the cous cous salad from this article. It's terrific.
    https://www.tastecooking.com/best-thing-make-air-fryer-isnt-fried/
    1ais4386l8b7.jpg
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    Angela937 wrote: »

I started reading warning labels on baking items and then that prompted me to research this on the internet

No paper products
    No glass products
    No parchment paper
    Better to not use aluminum foil because it can cause overcooking
  • pjg2015
    edited January 2021
    jessienani wrote: »
    Angela937 wrote: »

I started reading warning labels on baking items and then that prompted me to research this on the internet

No paper products
    No glass products
    No parchment paper
    Better to not use aluminum foil because it can cause overcooking
    I respect your research but I have to tell you, I break all of these rules and hi have a very high success rate with using my air fryer and enjoying the end products. Here is a air-fried crispy Mac and cheese that I made with leftovers that I sliced and breaded with panko. chjm3xve3280.jpeg
    6s7jju2tx5c8.jpeg

• cupcakeCravingsmom
    cupcakeCravingsmom Posts: 14 Member
    They do sell airfryer cookware . I really want to buy a few but haven’t had the time yet to search for ones for my exact model. Homeschooling a toddler to potty training y much more. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer like my mom helping him research herbal remedies to doctor medications to see his options (she died from her cancer she had over 30+ yrs a few months before I got pregnant with my son so got hope Dad can live longer than his 2 yr diagnosis).

Seems to be items like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/12Pcs-Air-Fryer-Accessories-Set-Pizza-Pan-Cake-Barrel-Rack-For-3-2-6-8QT-4-2-6-8QT-Air-Fryer-Oven/928083672

Y these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-IN-1-8-Air-Fryer-Oven-Accessories-Barrel-Oven-Steamer-Pan-Set-Fit-for-4-2-6-8QT-Air-Fryer-Oven/783451587

Some come with glassware for certain brands to special baskets for others. Looking for my instructions booklet to see if that air fryer company sells any through themselves.

I use my airfryer for frozen foods to reheat pizza for the baby. For myself nachos to homemade French fries or potatoes. Have made veggies in it to after I cook an egg y toast I place in it with cheese to make a sandwich. I want to start baking in it to cooking meats like my uncle does.
  • youngaustinlee
    youngaustinlee Posts: 2 Member
    2 Tbsp plain flour
    2 Tsp Cajun seasoning
    2 fillets of white fish

Mix the flour and Cajun seasoning together and put in a bag or bowl, put the fish in and toss. Put the fish in the air fryer at 200 degrees c (390 f) for 12 minutes, turning halfway through. Serve with vegetables and rice.