Lost 12 lbs but hitting a plateau - looking for words of enc

Options
Hello, MFP peeps!

I have been focusing on making positive lifestyle changes (tracking how many calories I eat, exercising) since end of June/early July. I have about 40 pounds to lose to reach the upper end of the weight range my doctor feels is healthy. If I can't lose the weight on my own, they want to put me on a medication. :-(

In the first couple of months, I was surprised at my success; I lost 11 pounds fairly easily, including 5 pounds in 1 week.

After that, though... I lost 1 pound in an entire 2 weeks... and this week I think if anything I've gained some.

Is it normal to have your weight stabilize after an initial success? I have reached 175 lbs, which was my previous weight before I got even heavier... maybe my body "remembers" that somehow?? (I hope not. It should remember the thinner, lower-cholesterol days instead. Ha.)

I would much appreciate hearing your words of motivation (friends have pointed out that I am overlooking what I have achieved so far - which is true but - I'm stuucckkkk) or advice. What should I do now? I have lowered my calorie goal (I hadn't adjusted it properly since losing the initial weight) and it is now at 1200/day (not including exercise calories), thought I'd try that for a while... am also (slowly) trying to sustain jogging. (currently doing walk/jog intervals)

Thanks to all for the community on MFP and the inspirational stories/support :-)

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is adjusting and doesn't need to anymore which usually means you need to add more cardio. I got stuck in something like this and about a week or two of a more intense workout schedule I was back on track and dropping pounds and inches. My advice is to just push through it and keep working on the intervals.
  • Brandie1988
    Brandie1988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I Totally agree with c4talys7.... More cardio. Keep up the hard work and you'll reach your goals eventually :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have found:

Weight usually falls right off in the first few weeks. As your body adjusts to different foods, different routines, and such it drops a lot of water weight.

The next few weeks the loss usually slows down quite a bit. It doesn't mean you aren't on the right track - it just shows that your body is adapting and adjusting to what you're doing.

I've found that my body needs me to switch things up every 2-3 months. It gets bored and comfortable with whatever I've been doing and it needs something new and surprising to kick it into high gear again.

Switching it up can be anything from a new workout routine to zig zagging calories, etc. You just have to play around with things some.

You'll find you'll probably have to do this regularly throughout your journey in order to prevent a plateau. It shows that your body is becoming more efficient - so you're on the right track!
  • jetsec
    Options
    Hi, have you been measuring as well? On the weeks where I've stuck or really slowed down I've found I've lost inches instead. I also added in another exercise so as well as walking/jogging, why don't you try swimming or aqua exercise.

Keep up the good work, you're doing great.

Jayne
  • notsoskinnyminnie
    Options
    Thanks to all for the good points!

More cardio noted, c4talys7 and Brandie1988! ("c4talys7" - I just got your name - I'm slow at the Internet. Lol.)

chevy88grl - What is zigzagging calories? I'm intrigued!

jetsec - I should be measuring but have been too lazy. You are very right on that.

I love MFP because people like you care enough to respond to whiners like me :-)
  • notsoskinnyminnie
    Options
    chevy88grl - What is zigzagging calories? I'm intrigued!

Found it in the forum. I sometimes do that by accident... maybe I will try it more intentionally :-)

Thanks for the idea, I'd never heard of that before!