Progress is a bunch of ups and downs!

B_Plus_Effort
B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
edited January 2021 in Success Stories
in early October of last year I went to put on a pair of my winter shorts (I live in California) and they laughed at me so a switch went off in my mind and I decided to loose the "quarantine weigh" (pronounced: "excuse for overeating for six months")

I share this post and this graph with you to show you that progress, be it in weight loss or performance training, or finance investments, whatever, is not linear (fancy word for a straight line) it is made of a bunch of ups and downs

I started at above 200 pounds that's what set off the alarms, I don't like that zone it's the no fly zone! and as I type this I am in the high 160s so about 6 pounds passed my goal weight and still loosing and I am eating more and more (don't hate me it's just how it works) I won't go all soap box on you but feel free to ask any questions you likes

pay particular attention to the bunch of spikes, each one of those was a day when I gained up to 4 pounds in one day, sometimes in only one meal, but the voice in my head said "that was delicious" no just kidding not that voice the other one that said "keep grinding"

our bodies are complex, but be consistent and over time results will come

1z6lm21rm0aw.jpg

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Always nice to be reminded that it isnt as simple as losing a lb or two a week. Sometimes a loss, is accompanied by a gain. It can derail you, knowing that you have worked just as hard, and are gaining weight despite your efforts. Fortunately for the dedicated, a minor gain for a day or two is almost always accompanied by a whoosh loss shortly thereafter
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    No one gains four pounds in a day, it's just water retention. But its a good reminder for those starting out that things won't keep on with the large losses that they start out with, but progress is progress.
  • skatells
    skatells Posts: 5 Member
    I really appreciate you posting your weight chart! I’m in a bit of an annoying few weeks where the scale is stuck within the same two pounds, and is just not going down, but I’m still working hard and believing in the process. Thanks for reminding me it’s not just me!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Thanks for sharing your overall success. It's inspiring and made me laugh.
  • 2685sue
    2685sue Posts: 1 Member
    wow, good job! you are inspiring !
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited January 2021
    ijzxa0egbvd3.png

tumblr_n41p9eXMas1qg0cqeo2_400.gif
  • lckiehl
    lckiehl Posts: 68 Member
    Huge standing round of applause and say it again for the people in the back! I am dedicated to eating as much as I can while losing slowly and building muscle and therefore changing my body composition. This means some days my weight fluctuates and THAT'S okay! Slow progress IS STILL PROGRESS! And by the way, who the hell wants to feel hungry and miserable?!? Keep grinding!
  • moodgirl
    moodgirl Posts: 5 Member
    This is fantastic! I was just thinking the same thing as I was looking at my own graph from the past six months. There's ups. And there's downs. As long as it's incrementally going in the right direction, all is well with the world! The holidays were an obvious indulgent period and I know my next weigh-in (tomorrow) will be lower than last week. (I'm not brave enough to add the Weight Axis!).

h43uymx78yjt.jpg
  • This title spoke to me so just thank you for this. I have been struggling since the holidays but not giving up. So there are ups and downs but we have to just keep grinding and remember the big picture. Every day I am writing down something good about the day, something I did well, and I am remembering that it is about behavior and I am in control of that. It is not a straight line, it is up and down but it is progress!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!