exercise with a cold?

Options
I have a cold, you know, sneezing, coughing, my throats all tight and the such.
Should I keep exercising or not? And should I push myself as hard as usual or just go light?

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I had a bad cold this week for three days I took time off from exercise and rested my body. I be back at it tommorrow morning.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My Self, I would cut back, just go lighter, make sure you keep fluids up major, and remember to rest other wise.

Over all... if you feel way to blah for that, always remind your self, there is tomorrow if i need to rest today.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I'd normally go with let your body rest and heal. But, I am lightly sick too right now. My throat hurts and i get light headaches but since I started gaining weight 2 weeks ago, I can't quit on my workout now :\
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just a everyday run of the mill cold, yep it's ok to still exercise. But you should take a little easier than normal. If you're running a fever then or taking certain meds that could raise your heart rate you may want to hold off till you're feeling a little better.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    if you workout at all, go light. i recommend healing first, and then you can go overtime when you're all better - which i hope is soon! :flowerforyou:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I wondered this same thing a few weeks ago when I had a knock-down-drag-out-feeling-so-****ty-i-only-want-to-sleep cold. Turns out, some light exercise actually made me feel a whole bunch better. I did a 30 min aerobic pilates video and a short walk, and my head felt clear for the first time in days. Give it a try, you might be surprised.
  • reneelee
    Options
    I'd normally go with let your body rest and heal. But, I am lightly sick too right now. My throat hurts and i get light headaches but since I started gaining weight 2 weeks ago, I can't quit on my workout now :\

That is what I had with a fever. I just ate soup, hot tea, fruit frzen pops, oatmeal amd didn't go over in calories.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny? I had a bad sore throat last week, sneezing, etc and I said, "Screw it" and exercised right through it and I swear, it didn't get worse and I got better a *lot* sooner than normal.

Could be a coincidence, of course but stil - it was interesting.
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    exercise while sick is never a good idea. I used to go round and round with my ex boyfriend about this. Everytime I told him I was sick, he would always say, "You'll feel better if you go get on the tredmill." He was an *kitten*. You may feel good for an hour but that's it. Your metabolism is already in high gear when you are sick because it is working double time to get rid of the bugs in your system, so there is no reason for exercise. Ever notice that you may lose a couple pounds while sick? Your body needs rest to heal, if you dont rest it takes that much longer to get over it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    The general suggestions are if it is above the neck, stuffy nose and the like, you are good to go if you feel up to exercising. If it is below the neck which would include fever, even if you feel like you could exercise, you would be better resting and recuperating.
  • reneelee
    Options
    exercise while sick is never a good idea. I used to go round and round with my ex boyfriend about this. Everytime I told him I was sick, he would always say, "You'll feel better if you go get on the tredmill." He was an *kitten*. You may feel good for an hour but that's it. Your metabolism is already in high gear when you are sick because it is working double time to get rid of the bugs in your system, so there is no reason for exercise. Ever notice that you may lose a couple pounds while sick? Your body needs rest to heal, if you dont rest it takes that much longer to get over it.

You are right !
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    If you're not running a fever, I'd exercise lightly, try a nice, brisk walk outside, the fresh air will do you good, unless you live somewhere very hot, in which case I'd go for a leisurely swim. Hope you feel better soon xx