I'm Scott from South Carolina

Options
Well this is really the first time I have ever truly attempted to lose weight seriously. I am from Blythewood, South Carolina and love my southern food. I know weight loss is a change of mindset and I need one. Counting the calories as I have been makes me all to aware of how much food I have been eating that is unhealthy.

Since this is my second day on the diet I'd love to hear from those who have been were I am right now. I've been eating small amounts of food throughout the day but my stomach still tells me I'm hungry. I'm fighting and believe I'll make it through this time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. welcome :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Hi, Scott from South Carolina. I'm McKay from Phoenix, soon to be Savannah. We're about to be neighbors. :)

All I can say is that calorie counting helps a lot. I'm 8 months into this whole thing, lost 60 lbs. and STILL ravenous most days. Some people get used to it and some never do. I think that's why so many people give up. But, don't give up. Just know that you're gonna have to deal with some discomfort most days. Could be worse, right?

And before anyone tells you "if you're still hungry, you're not eating enough!" let me just say this: WRONG. I'm still hungry because I shoveled endless amounts of pasta and cheese down my gullet for over a decade. My satiety meter is well broken. LOL

Anyway, stay vigilant, be honest with yourself and good luck.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Best of luck on your journey!
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    Well this is really the first time I have ever truly attempted to lose weight seriously. I am from Blythewood, South Carolina and love my southern food. I know weight loss is a change of mindset and I need one. Counting the calories as I have been makes me all to aware of how much food I have been eating that is unhealthy.

Since this is my second day on the diet I'd love to hear from those who have been were I am right now. I've been eating small amounts of food throughout the day but my stomach still tells me I'm hungry. I'm fighting and believe I'll make it through this time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi Scott,
    I am from New Ellenton S.C. so if you want a S.C buddy, please feel free to add me. You say that you are still hungry. Are you eating all of your calories and when you exercise, are you eating those calories too? Also, are you getting plenty of water? The water really does help me not feel hungry.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott. I'm Angela from Georgia, Savannah to be exact. I had the hungry feeling at first, but it went away after a little over a week. When I would get them, I would drink water (sometimes I would add slices of lemon). If that didn't help, I would chew sugarless gum.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott. Reads like your one your way. Good luck. Drink lots of water to help with the hunger feelings. It really helps.
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome, Scott! Joining here is a big step in the right direction. Also, believing you can do it is probably one of the most important parts of sticking to any lifestyle change. So you are already well on your way!!

My recomendations would be to drink water, of course. Plan ahead and pre-portion your meals. Eat several small meals to keep hunger at bay. And eat foods that will pack a lot of bang for the buck. (IE, greek yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt)

Also, get involved here on MFP, log regularly, and make this "who you are now" rather than just trying to drop a few lbs. This is a great support system and I have only been on it for a few months. I feel accountable and supported and understood. Soon, your body and mindset will change...and hopefully the hungry feeling will, too.

Feel free to add me if you are lookng for friends. And whatever you do, keep the confidence that you can do this -- because YOU CAN!!
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    smiley-signs046.gif

Hey Scott feel free to add me. I had that hunger thing at first but I changed what I was eating and the way I was eating it. It has taken a while but I'm getting there. Good luck! smiley-signs003.gif

~Leslie
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott,

First, I would like to say Congrats on making the first step. I joined MFP about 2 weeks ago and I can truly say this is a wonderful network to be a part of. I stumbled across it by accident. I am someone who LOVES to eat. Weight has always been a challenge for me. The advice I can give you is when you get those cravings find another way to direct the emotion. Read things that interest you, call a friend or get something like sugarfree gum or water. I certainly understand the struggle to not give in to the urge. Currently, I am trying to be in bed by a certain time which help me with those late night cravings. The next morning I am so proud that I made it through. I hope this helps you. I am a resident of Savannah, Ga. Feel free to add me as a friend. Once again Congrats and good luck
  • Scott_Derrick
    Options
    Are you saying eat more if you burn it during exercise? Hmmm.. Interesting.
  • cragglecat
    cragglecat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott, I'm new too, welcome and feel free to add me if you want.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott from South Carolina, I'm Emily (technically) from South Carolina-but I shouldn't really claim that state.
    Anyway....as I'm sure you learned while in the Navy (yes I spy on profiles) is that you need a balanced diet, Southern cuisine is delicious, yet sadly high in calories, so best thing to do; fill up on salads, fruits, veggies, water etc and save the rest of the room for small or moderate portions of the high cal high fat stuff, and also look up recipes online or wherever that will allow you to use substitutes to make the dishes not so fattening, yet they are still delicious. And yes, work out, earn more calories and eat them back-it's like money in the bank, although it doesn't mean go crazy and eat a stick of butter-still be careful with the foods you eat. Anyway, hopefully this and everything else you've read helps. Good luck and welcome :)
  • spoccer
    spoccer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome Scott! I've been on MFP for 10 days and I really like it. The accountability factor is great ... be sure to log all your food and exercise. I was so tickled last night when I started to reach for a late night snack and then thought ... hmmm ... this could make my calorie count go over for the day .. and I'll need to exercise more to work it off. It wasn't worth it. I was eating mindlessly and always have. I am only now starting to realize all the bad habits I was in ... but I know it will take many more weeks to undo those bad habits. Just take it one day at a time and set small rewards for yourself. Keep checking this site frequently - it's a good distraction from food. If you are still hungry after eating small meals throughout the day .. it could be you just think you are hungry but you are really bored .. or just used to the habit of eating mindlessly. Get lots of good snacks with fiber and protein to help keep you full. I love small Fuji apples - they fill you up and are sweet. Baby Bell light cheese snacks are good as well. Be sure to chew very slowly and only use salad plates for meals. Hang in there.. you can do it!! We're all here to help each other.
  • Forneil
    Options
    For my first few weeks, I made a glass of psyllium husk, apple cider vinegar, and water (honey for taste), then drank it 15 minutes before a meal. The drink does a few things, Makes you fuller - faster, Helps with cholesterol, clears your bowels, as well as increases the speed of your metabolism. Obviously don't use this every day of every year (in risk of colon damage just like how you would not use a suppository everyday haha) . Just for a week or so to train yourself.