2»

Replies

• Angrish101
    Angrish101 Posts: 14 Member
    Definitely oat milk.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    I use silk organic unsweetened soy.

That is exactly what I use. I wish I knew what they put in it. I'm addicted to the stuff.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've never had any milk (or sugar) w/tea. I gather this is an English custom but is it really necessary or just a "habit?"

For me, it's definitely a habit. I drink strong black coffee with no sugar or milk, and neither do I put anything in my ice tea. I like the astringency of both without sugar/milk. But for some reason, if I make hot black tea, the milk comes out. Still no sugar though...
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've never had any milk (or sugar) w/tea. I gather this is an English custom but is it really necessary or just a "habit?"

I drink really strong English and Chinese tea and all of my tea (and coffee) "black" and I think they taste better that way but to each "their own."

For sure it is a tradition in some places BUT, like most traditions, is based in reason: I don’t know the science, but the milk counters some of that bitter, mouth-drying tannin in the tea. Lemon does a similar job.

Have you ever had a cup of black tea with a steak? Works like red wine - the tannins complement the meat really well. 😁

Sugar (I suspect) is just preference. My usual cuppa is strictly with milk but without sugar but I still swear by milky EARL GREY tea with sugar in it as my first port of call as a hangover comforter (tea-connoisseurs would punch me over that one).

Tea in Myanmar is often made with concentrated milk (I suspect due to fresh milk not being readily available). I couldn’t drink it everyday, but wow - it was dreamy! Necessity is the mother of invention!

Sorry....have gotten off topic.....