What's your secret?

Options
Seriously, if one more person asks me this, I am going to scream. Why do people assume I need a secret to lose weight? Is it in any way secret that you just need to eat better and exercise?

There is no secret to weight loss, you just do it. Or you don't.

Replies

• cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I guess people want to discover a magic way that sheds pounds and takes zero effort. I don't understand why now that I have lost weight people feel compelled to explain to me why they haven't and how they need to do so. I don't care. I'm not your doctor or your wife!
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know whatcha mean....:huh:
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I get this from time to time at work. So I tell them. I weigh my food. I log my food, EVERTHING I put in my mouth. I read nutrition labels. I bust my *kitten* in the gym 3x a week lifting, and 2-3 times a week at home doing cardio. I drink LOTS of water.

As I go through the list, I see their eyes progressively glaze over. Their shoulders slump. It's like they were waiting for me to reveal the magic pill, the brand name of snake oil I was taking to magically make the pounds disappear.

Followed inevitably by, "I don't have time to work out 6 days a week, or count calories, or drink that much water"...
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Great job I hope I'm as successful. 15 down 60 to go!
  • Page2777
    Options
    i know there is no secret to it but i do ask people who are shifting weight quicker than i am what their routine is how much exercise they are doing how often and what kind so i can get tips to improve my own
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with the screaming.

Or maybe convince them to drink their own urine?
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband is always asked "what's your secret?" or "what diet are you on?". He has started to roll eyes. Honestly, he stopped shoving massive amounts of potatoe chips in his mouth and got off the couch!! No secret. No special diet with a name. He's moving his buns and eating less!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I tend to reply that I just haven't had a baby in 4 years so the weight's finally shifting. People find it hard to believe that this thinner me is what I was like pre-children. I have even been accused of having an affair by one "friend".
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

[forms a cunning plan and stores it away, just in case i need it one day]
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

[forms a cunning plan and stores it away, just in case i need it one day]

Please mean that you are storing the plan
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    LOL! Reading this post and the first reply made me laugh a lot, basically because I am totally there with you all the way. People are always asking me how I do it. And CK is so right. People are just looking for a quick and easy fix. I think also that, certainly in my case at least, they don't think I can do the healthy eating and exercise, so it MUST be some new quick and easy secret I have gotten hold of and they want it too. So much for having faith in me eh?
    And yeah, I get the whole, "yeah I need to lose some weight too but..."
    A lot of people say things like " I've tried to lose weight but it didn't work." It didn't work because they didn't do it right. I know because I was one of these people. I actually kidded myself that eating a massive bowl of pasta was healthier than a cheese burger and that I can eat more crisps because they say low fat on them. I am one of the lucky ones, it has finally permeated my thick skull that the only way to do this is through hard work and self control.
  • plantobefit
    plantobefit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I believe this question is asked because people want a quick fix...they hate to hear how hard one has to work at it to achieve results...
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well, I kind of understand the question. If only it were as simple as "eat less, excercise more". I know for me, my body goes into starvation mode pretty quickly. I've gone for weeks (possibly months) on end with a negative calorie intake and have had little or no weight-loss. I just couldn't get through my head that less (food) doesn't always equal more (weight-loss). It's taken me a long time to realize that balance is the key....learning to maintain that balance is taking even longer.