As I've matured, I have observed...

Options
Because, you don't always see these things when you are less mature/maturing/growing up/aging.

And you are welcome to copy and paste the heading "As I've matured, I have observed..." and add your observations.

Anyway. I have noticed, some people unhappy with their weight or unhappy with their life or suffering low self esteem or just generally unhappy, can tend to be quite rude, defensive and nasty.

They get all snappy. And I notice this A LOT in online forums, as I spend lots of time online.

They just like to give people ****, pull apart what others say, pull them down, attack them. And yeah, it totally pisses me off.

It's like, if I wasn't this calm, well-mannered, considerate person, I would so often bite back, but I don't like to lower to their level, so I don't respond.

I just feel like saying, build a bridge and get the hell over it and also, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all and also, grow the hell up and get a life!

Anyway, I never confront these people after their posts, I just sit here, thinking how rude they are and feeling sorry for them, having to stoop to that level.

What are all you guys and girls observations as you have matured in life and what are you responses?

Doesn't need to be along the same lines as my little moan, can be anything.

Please, share away :smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• Papaepic
    Papaepic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rude comments are not worth the time and energy it would take to reply anyway. I try to believe they are good people having a bad day, ignore it and move on.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Anyway. I have noticed, some people unhappy with their weight or unhappy with their life or suffering low self esteem or just generally unhappy, can tend to be quite rude, defensive and nasty.

They get all snappy. And I notice this A LOT in online forums, as I spend lots of time online.

They just like to give people ****, pull apart what others say, pull them down, attack them. And yeah, it totally pisses me off.

So...kind of like what you're doing now? ;)

I don't think this has anything to do with maturity or weight issues, etc. It's an online phenomenon of anonymity. It's much easier to say something to someone online that you wouldn't normally say to their face.
  • chickielou
    Options
    That life doesnt seem to get any easier and just cos you leave highschool doesnt mean the BS stops
  • bflicker11
    Options
    As I've matured, I have observed...

men get better with age! Younger men are great fun, so much energy but a man who is in his late 30s and above, really know how to treat a woman. My experience is that men in their late 30s and above are able to communicate, have goals, are more financially secure, open doors, respectful and are just plan awesome!!!!:wink:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As I've matured, I have observed that people get a lot less tolerant explaining again and again why X diet isn't going to work. It can make a person irritable trying to explain to the obstinate that eating <500 cals/ cutting carbs / taking such-and-such pill, etc are not going to work.

Just saying that people aren't necessarily bitter and angry towards others because of their own issues or self-esteem. Sometimes it's just frustrating trying to help people who ask for it, but don't listen.
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As I've matured, I have observed that time really does fly by. It's like - wow, where did my day go? or wow, you were just entering kindergarten last year and now you're driving! or oh, my goodness, are you really old enough to be getting married? :) Yup, my mother used to always say, "time flys" and I am only now starting to see what she means.
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options

So...kind of like what you're doing now? ;)

I don't think this has anything to do with maturity or weight issues, etc. It's an online phenomenon of anonymity. It's much easier to say something to someone online that you wouldn't normally say to their face.

ROFL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No. But hey, people will always read between the lines and misinterpret any statement and find fault where there in none...
  • escadachic
    Options
    As I've matured, I have observed that time really does fly by. It's like - wow, where did that my day go? or wow, you were just entering kindergarten last year and now you're driving! or oh, my goodness, are you really old enough to be getting married? :) Yup, my mother used to always say, "time flys" and I am only now starting to see what she means.

Oh, I so agree! And do you find that it speeds up when you get to 20 and if you're my age, 30 and they more children you have, the more time flies?
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am in my early 40's and have 4 children (10-15yr) . Life is going at a very fast pace and I'm loving it all. Blessings to you today.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As I've matured, I have learned that I didn't know all that I thought I did in my 20's.

I am now 41 and really believe the 30's and 40's are amazing times for women- maybe this doesn't hold true for everyone, but I know i really grew to understand and love myself in my 30's.

I also agree with your opening statement about the rudeness and just aggressive abuse given to strangers by strangers. It is an online problem and personally, I just find it really sad. I find it sadder still, that our children are being raised to think this kind of behavior is acceptable.

Unfortunately, not much we're going to do about it except ignore it and not sink to their levels. I try to reach out to the OP and actually answer their question- instead of engaging in the b.s. people are passing the time with.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I just feel like saying, build a bridge and get the hell over it and also, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all and also, grow the hell up and get a life!

Seems ironic.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    OP, you rock. but some of these responses..........sigh.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As my mother aged and became more ailing, she stayed in a nursing home close by. Going to visit her every week, I observed her and others in the home over time. As people become more dependent(unable to care for themselves) they become more demanding and "snippy". Why? I think it is because they have lost control over everything personal, so if there is any area they can be bossy in, they will. Its their only bit of control left in their lives. (knowing this makes nursing home visits more tolerable)

I don't know if this applies to people who are being 'snippy" on line or not. Perhaps, they also feel they have no control, so they over react in other areas. They feel in charge or something. I am not in the psychology field, so I don't know if any of this makes sense to others, its just my thoughts.
  • escadachic
    Options

Seems ironic.

Yes, isn't it ironic...don't you think? ...a little too ironic...yeah I really do think....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, nah. It's just me being polite, by not actually directly having a go at them after their post and holding my tongue. I keep those thoughts in my head in response, as I don't try and tear them down publicly after their posts, like they are doing to others.
  • escadachic
    Options
    As my mother aged and became more ailing, she stayed in a nursing home close by. Going to visit her every week, I observed her and others in the home over time. As people become more dependent(unable to care for themselves) they become more demanding and "snippy". Why? I think it is because they have lost control over everything personal, so if there is any area they can be bossy in, they will. Its their only bit of control left in their lives. (knowing this makes nursing home visits more tolerable)

I don't know if this applies to people who are being 'snippy" on line or not. Perhaps, they also feel they have no control, so they over react in other areas. They feel in charge or something. I am not in the psychology field, so I don't know if any of this makes sense to others, its just my thoughts.

Totally makes sense. I get what you're saying yes. :flowerforyou:
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    As I've matured I have learned to just like what I like and not be embarrassed.
    Yes, I listen to Ke$ha and Britney and I like them. I also listen to Christian music, to Bowie, to Queen, Lady Gaga, Oasis, Eminem, etc. If I like something I'll listen to it whether people think it's dumb or not. I don't like Pink Floyd and that's fine, and I don't care how uncultured it sounds to say that instrumental music bores me and I don't like it.
    I'm aware that some books I read and enjoy aren't great literature but they are good entertainment. I read books like True Blood AND books by ****ens. I can't get past the old english in Shakespeare, though, which according to some makes me a bad book reader. Whatever.

And all of that is FINE. I am allowed to like or dislike what I want, and so is everyone else.
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The key has nothing to do with maturity, it has everything to do with finding a life outside of the Internet. What one person writes with a grin another takes as being nasty because there's no body language or facial expressions to go with the words. It's been a problem since the Internet became popular. I grew up without computers so we didn't have this problem. It's not maturity, it's technology
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm aware that some books I read and enjoy aren't great literature but they are good entertainment. I read books like True Blood AND books by ****ens. I can't get past the old english in Shakespeare, though, which according to some makes me a bad book reader. Whatever.

D i c k e n s - as in the great writer. Crazy censoring!
  • escadachic
    Options
    As I've matured I have learned to just like what I like and not be embarrassed.
    Yes, I listen to Ke$ha and Britney and I like them. I also listen to Christian music, to Bowie, to Queen, Lady Gaga, Oasis, Eminem, etc. If I like something I'll listen to it whether people think it's dumb or not. I don't like Pink Floyd and that's fine, and I don't care how uncultured it sounds to say that instrumental music bores me and I don't like it.

And all of that is FINE. I am allowed to like or dislike what I want, and so is everyone else.

I listen to all that kind of music too!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    The key has nothing to do with maturity, it has everything to do with finding a life outside of the Internet. What one person writes with a grin another takes as being nasty because there's no body language or facial expressions to go with the words. It's been a problem since the Internet became popular. I grew up without computers so we didn't have this problem. It's not maturity, it's technology

You are so right! I made a joke on line and the person teased me by playing dumb, so I felt like a jerk and explained the joke and he wrote back saying I know silly I was joking too. So it really can be hard to tell where someone is coming from and reading to much between the lines.