going vegetarian

Options
Hi All,

I have done a lot of research in these 6 months since joining myfitnesspal and for me vegetarian seems the best way to go. I have heart disease in my family and that seems to be the best fit for a healthy lifestyle. Of course I am taking it in steps and immediately I am finding that it is a challenge to get my protein to the level recommended. I want to stay away from veggie burgers, etc. cause on a certain level I consider things like that processed. Soy is ok but not my favorite. I have looked into fortified cereals but a lot of people say they just don't get that full feeling needed after eating. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Full feeling = carbs for vegetarians. :blushing:
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Nuts is a very good source of protein or you could always supplement with a whey protein shake...
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    I make my own veggies/black bean burgers and they are much better than the frozen find!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Watch the documentary Forks Over Knives to fully convince yourself. I am vegetarian and am the healthiest I have ever been, eat loads of carbs and low protein, low fat, rarely sick, sleep good, low blood pressure, walk 4-5 miles a day and strength train. It IS the best lifestyle, in my opinion. Friend me if you'd like.

Becca
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I make my own veggies/black bean burgers and they are much better than the frozen find!

Yes. Me too. I make just about everything from whole foods, not processed, canned, boxed, etc.
  • emma1488
    Options
    Please don't get the misconception that vegetarians/vegans don't get enough protein.

I understand your hesitation towards premade veggie burgers, so you should try making your own. You can use many yummy and healthy ingredients like beans, peas, lentils, tofu, veggies, tempeh etc.

If you really want to up your protein intake you can add a protein shake to your daily diet.

As a vegan, I am now enjoying the health benefits of this lifestyle, but I decided to change my eating habits based on compassion for animals. I think personally you are making a good choice for your health, but make sure you are not just replacing meat with other high cholesterol foods like dairy and eggs. Feel free to add me:)
  • ayhayes3
    Options
    I have recently gone vegan and every morning for breakfast I have a smoothie. I put in one banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries and a pea protein. I get 28g of protein from the pea protein alone and I feel full until lunch time. I have found, at least for me, getting the protein helps me feel full.
  • littlemount
    Options
    I love the comment feelling full=carbs for vegetarians, which then translates to pilling on the pounds.
    But the CNN report last week with President Clinton on how he follows the diet outlined in the book Reversing heart disease makes me think. In that diet there is no milk, no oil, no meat purely plant based diet. Many people seem to be having success in reversing heart disease.
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice so far. What is the recommended amount of protein in general for a vegetarian probably % is best for estimating. Also am going about this slowly so keeping my dairy and eggs right at what they used to be. I read about the trap of upping that.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone now so can't post the link but google search 'peta quinoa lentil salad'. Its an easy tasty recipe that's high in protein.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    there are some veggie protein powder/supplements too if you're interested in that.

I too have made my own veggie burgers (black bean or chickpea were my most successful!) back in the day when I was a veggie.

I like reading these kinda posts to see if I can get myself back into it. I was a vegetarian/pescatarian depending on the day for about 5 years.

have you thought about maybe just including fish if you are concerned about protein sources? compared to other animal sources fish is lower calorie and cholesteroly/etc :)
  • emma1488
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice so far. What is the recommended amount of protein in general for a vegetarian probably % is best for estimating. Also am going about this slowly so keeping my dairy and eggs right at what they used to be. I read about the trap of upping that.

I guess it depends on what your goals are. I think the guideline is 1 gram of protein for every pound or kilogram you weigh??...i'm sure its somewhere on the net...

I would say just start out and go with the flow and see how you feel. Just make sure you are eating plenty of veggies and fruit and staying within you calorie limits. There is protein in grains like rice and bread, and beans will be high in protein, plus they have fibre to help keep you feeling light:)
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fish is my favorite food. I really like it but the mercury content has me worried and the more I get into vegan the more aware of environment I become. Don't want to debate that, everyone makes their own choices. I don't judge, just do what feels right for me. And again for my family history with heart disease I want to error on the side of caution and get as close to vegan as i can tolerate. I have been working toward this for 2 months cutting down the meats from every day to every other to finally out. It has been about 1 week on no meats and so far so good. Even been able to leave alone my fish.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I love the comment feelling full=carbs for vegetarians, which then translates to pilling on the pounds.
    But the CNN report last week with President Clinton on how he follows the diet outlined in the book Reversing heart disease makes me think. In that diet there is no milk, no oil, no meat purely plant based diet. Many people seem to be having success in reversing heart disease.

Yes, I saw that too. President Clinton advocates the same diet that Dr. Campbell in the book 'The China Study' and Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Campbell were both in the documentary 'Forks Over Knives". EXCELLENT information.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Fish is my favorite food. I really like it but the mercury content has me worried and the more I get into vegan the more aware of environment I become. Don't want to debate that, everyone makes their own choices. I don't judge, just do what feels right for me. And again for my family history with heart disease I want to error on the side of caution and get as close to vegan as i can tolerate. I have been working toward this for 2 months cutting down the meats from every day to every other to finally out. It has been about 1 week on no meats and so far so good. Even been able to leave alone my fish.

Another good book to read regarding the enviornmental impact of meat eating is John Robbins 'Diet for a New America'. He has a new one too, 'Food Revolution', which I haven't gotten around to yet.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    Applause for you, caring about your health, researching and realizing the single best change one can make is eating less (or no) animal-derived "food". I've been vegetarian, near-vegan, for 25 years and have never been overweight (just decided to stop drinking/having too much processed food and lost 20 -- like to be lean and fit that's why I'm on the site). My energy is terrific and much of the reason is a vegetarian diet. Avoid dangers of too much junk (there are potato-chip and pizza vegetarians!) and too much dairy, as you already discovered. Protein is pretty easy to get once you do a little research. Can't say enough about good old beans -- protein, antioxidants, fiber (you get used to it) -- lentils are quick to cook and so tasty. Nothing wrong w veggieburgers esp if you get health food store ones such as 'sunshine burgers' made from sunflower seeds. Peas are suprisingly high in protein -- toss cold peas over salads. feel free to friend me and ask anything. Good luck!!!
  • emma1488
    Options

Thats excellent!

I had a bit of a look at your diary and it looks pretty good! Do you FEEL like you're not getting enough protein? You could try adding some more whole grains into your diet like brown rice, quinoa, millet and other things like that. I would also recommend switching potatoes for sweet potatoes, way less calories and I think they are more filling.

Are you drinking plenty of water?
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegeterian for over 6 years and my friends who aren't are always winning that I don't get enough protein. Ha! I am usually over on my protein and eat more protein than they do.

I mix beans into my food, in place of hamburger in spaghetti and other meals, I use firm tofu and it tastes even better.

There are a ton of great websites of fabulous recipies for vegetarians. Don't think you are condemmed to just eating salads and a plate of the same ole vegetables the rest of your life.

Here's what to expect: You will begin craving fresh vegetables and fruits. Processed foods will start tasting like cardboard. You have just opened yourself to an exciting world of food and flavor, your tastebuds are cheering you on! And as you are making great choices for yourself, you are going to feel better not just about you but the enviroment and animals, all animals.

You are still going to have to monitor your calories, and make sure you are eating your protein. I stay away from processed foods but there are some choices in the veggies isle of your grocery store. Veggie burgers, chicken patties and all kinds of veggie treats. On occassion I will pick something up but like all processed food they are loaded with sodium and hidden sugars.

I don't want to go into here, but animals are injected with tons of hormones that make their way to our tables, yuck. You are no longer contributing to the cruel and vicious slaughter of animals. Bravo.

Being a vegetarian is my choice and I don't go preaching to others who are not, we are usually tolerate and hope that they one day will come to the realizatiion we do.

Consider me a friend, and anyone who wants to friend me, reading this, feel free. Good luck on your new journey, I am here in your front row cheering you on! Bravo! Nameste!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    a guy i worked with went straight vegan. however he did it slowly over time (i think a year) because he knew that such a drastic change would affect his body. first he cut out red meat, then little by little moved to being just vegitarian, to vegan.

good luck in your choice, and i hope you do it healthy and smart.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Not everyone though...............

My dad has reversed his heart disease by getting rid of the carbs except eating vegetables and fruits and eats mostly fat and moderate protein.

My dad's cardiologist at Washinton Univeristy in St Louis put him on the Paleo plan which is high in saturated fat, moderate protein, and lots of vegetables and minimal fruit and nuts.

The scarring has healed and there is no sign he ever had a heart attack.

I personally feel the biggest key to reversing Diabetes and heart disease is removing the processed foods whether your are Paleo or vegetarian or even vegan.

That is the one thing that Paleo, vegetarian and vegan all have in common (or should have) - we are all eating whole unprocessed foods and going back to prepping and cooking from scratch. :heart: :flowerforyou:

I don't believe in the everything in moderation motto. I don't think that frozen, boxed, packaged foods have a place in our lives.

P. S. - Hemp is also a great source of protein.