Daily calories over a week

Options
Hi I'm new to this site and would just like to know if you have a couple of days where you are under your calorie intake can you then bank this to use on another day of the week when you know you will be over? I am going to a party this weekend and want to know if I can use some of the calories that I didn't use earlier in the week.

Claire x

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes, and it seems to work ok. I find I end up losing the weight anyway, as long as I don't go overboard on sodium (which retains water)
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i use this strategy sometimes. However, I find its best if you can try to stay as close to your MFP goal as possible. Too low and you go in starvation mode. Too high and you don't lose weight. However I have found that sometimes when I binge, I try to make up for it by going a little less than goal over the next few days. I try to do this by exercising more rather than eating less, however a combination of the two seems to work for me.
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    Kind of seems like a good Weight Watcher-ish strategy to me... I think that would work out okay as long as you keep the calories to one 7 day period.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally if I'm concerned I'm going to overeat the following day, but for the most part I eat normally the day before/after and count the overeating day as a cheat day. One day will never hurt you - just make sure you still drink lots of water.
  • jengelbell
    Options
    I also do this. I don't believe there is one set rule for everyone. If it works for you then continue doing what you do. The goal is to be healthy so make sure you aren't giving up too much of the good stuff for a couple of drinks.:ohwell:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure your body won't go into starvation mode after one day of eating fewer calories- it would be several days of that - so yes, I if I indulge one day, I eat less or exercise more the next
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine- and- they have done some research to say it is good to keep your body "guessing" so it doesn't get stuck. I am no dietician and am not backing that claim up, but I have read about it.
  • Clairelola
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use the weekly graph on my Iphone app to track this. It tells me my average for the week and as long as my average is under my goal I don't worry about it. You aren't going to slow your metabolism by eating under for a few days and any effect it did have would be counter balanced by the over day. That is the entire principle behind calorie cycling and it really seems to work. I don't do it formally, but I tend to have naturally higher and lower days so I just make sure my weekly average is at the goal and I am doing great with that strategy. I don't go nuts, but I do enjoy myself at parties and I almost always have one meal a week with friends. By doing this I consistently average 10 pounds a month lost and I know that I can maintain it because I am living a normal life and not depriving myself of food or my social and emotional needs. For example, this week I know I am going to the state fair tomorrow and won't have the most healthy day, so I have been really good all week and kept myself under knowing that tomorrow I will likely be over and it will balance out.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do it sometimes, but i don't starve myself so that i can eat a whole pizza one night.