Anybody recall any weird food promos when you were younger? Photos please!

0atmeel
0atmeel Posts: 157 Member
When I was a kid, McDonalds would serve Shanghai Nuggets at least once a year. Do you have any you remember? Bonus points for photos!

epvmv8rwcpsx.jpg

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I have a large collection of Lord of the Rings movie memorabilia. One of my favorite areas of collecting is food related- popcorn buckets and bags, theatre cups, actual food items.

I have a box of cookies form Portugal with members of the fellowship drawn on them in chocolate “ink”, One Ring gummies from several countries, chocolate bars from Canada that were wrapped in gorgeous mini-posters.

One of my favorites came from when I wrote the manufacturer of the British HP Beans company. My letter got routed to the President and apparently they were so amused, they sent me a 4-pack of LOTR HP Beans in the original cardboard tote. They were one of my prized possessions. A dozen years later I realized the cans had distended and exploded in the drawer where I stored them. Oops. But I managed to salvage the labels and tote.

Another time my husband, who worked for a large unnamed Atlanta soft drink company who had a reputation for demanding brand loyalty from employees, was on his hands and knees helping me find the “best” 12 packs of Canada Dry products with the nicest boxes still intact, when a booming voice behind him called him by name ,” What do you think you’re doing?”

He straightened up so fast he gonged his head on the shelf, only to realize it was his mother-in-law.

Oh my goodness. I still have all of it. The art was so beautiful. Spanish malt balls, Pringles cans from all over the world, pop tarts, dozens of different soda cans......
  • 0atmeel
    I have a large collection of Lord of the Rings movie memorabilia. One of my favorite areas of collecting is food related- popcorn buckets and bags, theatre cups, actual food items.

I have a box of cookies form Portugal with members of the fellowship drawn on them in chocolate “ink”, One Ring gummies from several countries, chocolate bars from Canada that were wrapped in gorgeous mini-posters.

One of my favorites came from when I wrote the manufacturer of the British HP Beans company. My letter got routed to the President and apparently they were so amused, they sent me a 4-pack of LOTR HP Beans in the original cardboard tote. They were one of my prized possessions. A dozen years later I realized the cans had distended and exploded in the drawer where I stored them. Oops. But I managed to salvage the labels and tote.

Another time my husband, who worked for a large unnamed Atlanta soft drink company who had a reputation for demanding brand loyalty from employees, was on his hands and knees helping me find the “best” 12 packs of Canada Dry products with the nicest boxes still intact, when a booming voice behind him called him by name ,” What do you think you’re doing?”

He straightened up so fast he gonged his head on the shelf, only to realize it was his mother-in-law.

Oh my goodness. I still have all of it. The art was so beautiful. Spanish malt balls, Pringles cans from all over the world, pop tarts, dozens of different soda cans......

That is awesome!!!!
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Before my time but...
    1auuc7fz49mt.png
  • 0atmeel
    edited January 2021
    smithker75 wrote: »
    Before my time but...
    1auuc7fz49mt.png

Whoa!!! lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Wow. Incomprehensible. And soft drinks run in our blood...hubs has the 25 year service watch to prove it.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    millerjr5 wrote: »
    When I was a kid, McDonalds would serve Shanghai Nuggets at least once a year. Do you have any you remember? Bonus points for photos!

epvmv8rwcpsx.jpg

Omg, you just brought that out from deep in my brain! Good find!
  • 0atmeel
    edited January 2021
    millerjr5 wrote: »

epvmv8rwcpsx.jpg

Omg, you just brought that out from deep in my brain! Good find!

The only reason I remember these is because my dad swore these were made different. When I was a child, we went to the McDonalds drive thru, he said he wanted regular nuggets, and not the Shanghai ones. When we got our food, he seen the Shanghai box and was pissed. He told the worker "I said I wanted regular nuggets, not these Shanghai ones." The worker told him they are the same but my dad swore that they were different.🤣🤣🤣
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited January 2021
    hqdefault.jpg

Quiznos Rat Commercial

The Quiznos rat commercials from the early 2000's will always stick in my brain.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Quiznos Rat Commercial

The Quiznos rat commercials from the early 2000's will always stick in my brain.

OMG.....that is terrifying!
  • 0atmeel
    rhaiin wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Quiznos Rat Commercial

Thanks....I had completely forgot about that until now lol.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2021
    smithker75 wrote: »
    Before my time but...
    1auuc7fz49mt.png

This ad is a joke/hoax, but here are some real ones:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/grist.org/article/food-vintage-soda-ads-can-you-spot-the-fake/amp/

BTW, I think "pre-teen" is the giveaway that it's fake.