Sedentary or lightly active?

Options
Hello
I'm doing 6 workouts a week 45-60mins which are hitt workouts mixed with weights, plus getting 10000 steps minimum a day. I work in an office though, am I sedentary because of my job or lightly active?

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If this is your normal everyday lifestyle I would change activity level. If this is temporary I would just log exercise. Just remember to change your activity level back if this tapers off or stops. You could be giving yourself more calories than you need.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Your activity setting is supposed to reflect how active you are in daily life (not including intentional exercise, which you should log separately): your job, but also walking to and from work, groceries, taking care of children or animals, household chores, hobbies,...

Do your 10000 steps a day include the workouts or not? How many steps not counting the workouts?

If you take 10k steps a day not including exercise, you're nowhere near sedentary and not even lightly active, more likely active.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No the 10000 steps don't include the workouts. My job is working in an office so I make an effort every day to hit 10000 steps..
  • mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is active.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie estimates (based on the non-exercise activity level) intend you to log exercise and eat back an accurate estimate of those, on top of base calories, in order to keep the same weight loss rate.

If you prefer not to log exercise, or prefer to eat the same number of calories daily regardless of that day's exercise, it's better to get your calorie estimate from a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator**. I like this one, as it has more and clearer activity level descriptions, and lets you compare different research-based formulas:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

In MFP terms, I agree that your 10k steps in daily life would make you "active".

** Without going into details, the reasons are technical, in terms of the formulas: The activity level multipliers are different, because the assumptions are different.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Active due to your high amount of movement you are getting in your day to day life (10k steps) and log your exercise calories as well - the two things aren't connected.