35 and trying to lose weight

Hey MFP members, I’m just over 1 week of counting calories and working out. Hoping to lose 30 pounds in the next 6 months. I just turned 35 and it is definitely not as easy to lose weight as it used to be years ago. I’m looking for friends to help me along this journey.

Replies

• You got this. 💪🏼
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    5 pounds a month is a fairly aggressive goal, it's doable but will not be easy. And as you get closer to your goal the weight loss slows down, just to warn you.

And yes, slowing down metabolisms are the WORST. I watch my teenage son demolish food and I'm just so jealous!!!

Best of luck to you, if you need any help or have any questions reach out!!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes, weight loss COULD slow down, but that's just an obstacle that might not even be the case for you, and this is a MENTAL game as much as anything else. :smile:

I think 5 lbs a month is VERY achievable. Congrats on your commitment to health so far!

I'm about to turn 35 very soon. It's a good place to be!! Haha :lol:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Do you have a specific plan to lose the weight?

Even if you’re “older”, the science is still the same. Eat fewer calories than your body needs. You just have to figure out how to make that happen in a way that works best for you.
  • mjwilson0246
    mjwilson0246 Posts: 12 Member
    AnnPT77 Incredible advice. I have done exactly what you have described. I need to be in this for the long haul and try to prevent Yo-yo anymore. You are truly inspiring! Thank you for taking your time to share your story with me!!!! I look forward to your continue support and hope to be healthy as you one day😉
  • mjwilson0708
    mjwilson0708 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2021
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    Yes, weight loss COULD slow down, but that's just an obstacle that might not even be the case for you, and this is a MENTAL game as much as anything else. :smile:

I think 5 lbs a month is VERY achievable. Congrats on your commitment to health so far!

I'm about to turn 35 very soon. It's a good place to be!! Haha :lol:

Thank you Steph_135 for reaching out to me and for the encouraging words. I’m going to try to reach my weight goal but even if I don’t. I just care more about going the right direction and eating healthy! I believe if I do that the weight will eventually come off.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    AnnPT77 Incredible advice. I have done exactly what you have described. I need to be in this for the long haul and try to prevent Yo-yo anymore. You are truly inspiring! Thank you for taking your time to share your story with me!!!! I look forward to your continue support and hope to be healthy as you one day😉

Now that I have you all softened up for a different approach this time 😉, one you could consider is this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . plus some fun activities that challenge strength and build heart health, of course. 😉

You can make this the last time for major weight loss, I'm certain.
  • mjwilson0246
    Do you have a specific plan to lose the weight?

Even if you’re “older”, the science is still the same. Eat fewer calories than your body needs. You just have to figure out how to make that happen in a way that works best for you.
    I’m tracking both macro and calories. I’m definitely trying to create a calorie deficit daily but also not so much where I felt like I was starving. Thank you for your advice. You are right on point too. I’m in this for the long term. No longer the mind set lose as much weight as I can as fast as I can. That leads to yo-yo. I’m tired of yo-yo with my weight.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Being of the "older" crowd myself and being a bodybuilding competitor, you do have to work harder and harder to maintain or lose weight as you get older. Takes more discipline and consistency. Don't be too agressive in your weightloss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mjwilson0246
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being of the "older" crowd myself and being a bodybuilding competitor, you do have to work harder and harder to maintain or lose weight as you get older. Takes more discipline and consistency. Don't be too agressive in your weightloss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Wow. Great credentials. You have definitely lived what you preach. Thanks for the advice too. 2021 I need work hard but be consistent!!!! I like that
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    let me get this straight. you're implying 35 is.....old?

*runs to check drivers license*

Oh dear. I guess I better get my housecoat, snuggie, and electric slippers out. I'm too old to be doing much of anything according to this baseline.

*drops the barbell and runs in fear old age will catch up*

Not

• mjwilson0246
    let me get this straight. you're implying 35 is.....old?

*runs to check drivers license*

Oh dear. I guess I better get my housecoat, snuggie, and electric slippers out. I'm too old to be doing much of anything according to this baseline.

*drops the barbell and runs in fear old age will catch up*

Not
    I love it!!!!! I needed that thx. Absolutely Hilarious!
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    I just turned 35 and looking for friends and support on this journey also. When is 35 considered old?!? Haha. I’ve had success with MFP in the past (lost about 30lbs) and looking to lose about 5 lbs per month. Ultimately, I’d like to lose 60 lbs in the long run. It’s tough, but if you have the determination, you can do it! Feel free to add me as a friend!