Cast Iron Skillet and butter

Options
Grokette
Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
I want to make a cauliflower crust pizza in my cast iron skillet on the grill..............

Does anyone know if I use butter in the skillet - will it cause it to stick??

I usually make the cauliflower crust pizza on a pizza stone, but wondering if I could do it on the grill in the cast iron skillet with butter.

Replies

• KeeleySue
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would stick, but don't know for sure. Why don't you use your pizza stone on the grill?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No, butter won't cause it to stick. Very few things will stick in a properly-seasoned cast iron skillet.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would stick, but don't know for sure. Why don't you use your pizza stone on the grill?

Because I want to make a pan like pizza instead of the flat, thin crust pizza.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I agree, if it's highly seasoned it should be ok. That being said butter has a high moisture content and sort of evaporates in high heat. I would use coconut oil or 50/50 oil butter.
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    Like some other posters have said, a well seasoned skillet won't stick, however, using butter to bake a pan pizza will likely cause it to burn at high temps! I would still use oil to get that pan pizza flavor and texture.
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If your cast iron skillet is well-seasoned, nothing should stick to it. For more piece of mind:flowerforyou: , just put some oil (your choice) on paper towel and wipe skillet insides.