cutting carbs.

Options
Need a little help in reaching my fitness goal. I'm about 30lbs away from my goal. What do my MFP think about cutting carbs to help in my progress. Is it okay or i just need to change my training regimen. I have plateau at 241lbs im not loosing or gaining
any weight now. I have heard mix reviews on cutting carbs what do My MFP think. Thanks for the support and help.

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The thinnest I have ever been and the best I have ever felt is when I was being very very very picky about how many carbs I ate. I do much better in general with a very low carb diet. I feel better all around. I am picky about which carbs go into my body. I stay with 100% whole grains and try to stay away from refined sugars (except for in my G2 gatorade). I dropped 40 pounds years ago by eating no carbs. When I started putting crappy carbs back in my diet the weight came back, so I have just dropped them for good.
    Good luck.
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    Your calorie counter is your friend. You'll find that most carbs have high caloric content. IMO cutting any nutrient out of your diet is unhealthy. By keeping track of your calories, you'll find that you will naturally limit the amount of carbs you are eating in order to reach your calorie goal or stay under. That does not necessarily mean removing carbs altogether. Having a well balanced diet with a variety of nutrients is the best way to stay healthy. Also, if you are not exercising, you are not maximizing weight loss. Muscles at rest still need to burn calories...increasing your muscle mass will burn more calories thus increasing your overall metabolism.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Need a little help in reaching my fitness goal. I'm about 30lbs away from my goal. What do my MFP think about cutting carbs to help in my progress. Is it okay or i just need to change my training regimen. I have plateau at 241lbs im not loosing or gaining
    any weight now. I have heard mix reviews on cutting carbs what do My MFP think. Thanks for the support and help.

For me personally, when I cut out carbs, my weight loss slowed. I believe in a balanced carb/protein/fat ratio is perfect, because it works for me. Too high or low of any macronutrient can cause health problems. Carbs are your brain's number one energy source (glucose.)
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    I know that I do best when I limit my carbs to around 100g per day, because that way I still get to have veggies and fruits and maybe even a small whole grain source, but no sugar, because sugary foods eat up my carb allotment. Some bodies do well on low carbs, some don't. Just know that if you do cut them out and lose the weight, it will come back immediately if you start eating starchy, carby foods again. But give it a try for a week and you will likely see some great results.
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    The thinnest I have ever been and the best I have ever felt is when I was being very very very picky about how many carbs I ate. I do much better in general with a very low carb diet. I feel better all around. I am picky about which carbs go into my body. I stay with 100% whole grains and try to stay away from refined sugars (except for in my G2 gatorade). I dropped 40 pounds years ago by eating no carbs. When I started putting crappy carbs back in my diet the weight came back, so I have just dropped them for good.
    Good luck.

Agreed! Whole grains, fruits and veggies are the good carbs. It's an easier change than you might think and very worth it.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting carbs altogether, how about reducing them? ... this can be an attainable long term way of eating. Look over your normal daily food choices and from one of the snacks or meals, eliminate one of the high carb choices like bread/bagel or soda/juice or potato/corn (picking on those veg because they're high in starch). Or if eliminating is too drastic, look for a lower carb substitute. For instance there are high protein/low carb breads available if you absolutely can't do without bread.

Just a small change maintained over the long haul will produce results and because it's small, will be sustainable. It's disheartening to work so hard to lose weight and have it all come back later.