Options
2»

Replies

• peanutblake
    peanutblake Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    shall724 wrote: »
    So after searching and searching for a way to caculate my calories for my homeade greek yogurt...with no luck. finally came up with this and I think its got to be pretty close!

I add up my total calories that I start with.
    example: one gallon 1% milk. 16 servings x 110 per serving = 1760.
    one small container fat free plain greek yogurt = 100

total start= 1860

after the process/ straining whey. measure the whey that is discarded. I strained about 8 cups of whey from my yogurt.

whey is 59 cal. per cup x my 8 cups = 472

take your beginning calories 1860 - 472 for the discarded whey= 1388 caloeies left

now, there is 1388 calories in your batch of greek yogurt.

I divided my batch into one cup servings and I had about 9 cups so divide calories!

1388/9= 154 calories per cup! if course everyones will vary depending on what type if milk you start with and how long you drain it...but its pretty easy to calculate :)

I followed This exactly for my 1% homemade Greek yogurt that I've been making for almost 2 years now. I get about 6 6ounce portions from my batch (using 7.5 cups 1% milk and a couple of ounces of starter from my previous batch). It only comes out to about 2.8 g fat and 41 calories per serving. Nuts!
    This is nuts, considering 6 ounces of non-fat greek yogurt has more than twice the calories. Something's not jiving here. Additionally, 7.5 cups of 1% milk is around 750 calories, so you're missing over 500 calories. Some of these are lost in whey removal due to straining, but to account for 500 calories of whey you're missing, you would have to strain off more than 8 cups of whey, which is more liquid than you began with.
  • PIXI3
    PIXI3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Concur, peanutblake... ereckless82 is looking at closer to the 100 calorie per serving range for 1% if quantities used are correct.
  • snarkleparkle
    snarkleparkle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How did shall724 come up with 59 calories per cup of whey?
  • snarkleparkle
    snarkleparkle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How was the calorie count of 59 for the whey determined?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How was the calorie count of 59 for the whey determined?

She used the self.com database to find the calories in whey. She was discarding the whey so she wanted to subtract that from her yogurt. I just leave the whey in my yogurt and add chia seeds to thicken it.

I log it with Ref:01116.usda.r28 - *#yogurt, Plain, Whole Milk, 8 Grams Protein Per 8 Ounce.
    Even though I use Jersey cow milk and it has 9 grams protein in 8 ounces, I'm not going to stress about 6 sigma precision on a food that I use once a week. As long as the database entry for has less sugar and thus less calories than the milk input, and the same number of grams of fat and protein, it's good enough for me.
  • kdplaskon
    kdplaskon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just to add on here, there is little need to buy an expensive yogurt maker. For $12 I bought this 2 liter meal thermos, works perfectly. Heat milk to 190F (1.5 liter takes about 10 minutes in microwave), cool to 115F, add 1T active culture from plain yogurt per 2 cups milk, mix, pour, cap and wait 8-10 hours. For Greek yogurt take s strainer and coffee filter, dump the yogurt in and let it sit for 2-4 hours on countertop. Transfers to your storage container and chill. In the pic mine is fermenting now, this afternoon I'll transfer it to the strainer ( that is a filter for a large coffee maker 4.5" base)
  • debralindell
    debralindell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I calculated the number of calories in a gallon of whole milk as 1648.

I then took the number of calories in a cup of whey (66).

I had 7 cups of Greek yogurt after straining the whey out.

16 cups of whole milk - 7 cups of yogurt = 9 cups of whey removed.

9 x 66 = 594 whey calories removed.

1648 - 594 = 1,054 calories left in my 7 cups of Greek yogurt.

1,054 / 7 cups = 150.58 calories per cup of my homemade Greek yogurt.

• fawnsorgi
    fawnsorgi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the info. I’ve been making my own yogurt in my IP for about a year and I’ve been unsure how to do the calorie count particularly since I strain.
    I always use Fairlife Milk with a mix of starters to get a broad spectrum of bacteria. I strain until it’s pretty thick so I need to make sure I up the calorie content and don’t just go with the original calories per ounce.
  • juliachch
    juliachch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My concern would be, if I start with 1kg of homemade yoghurt with 3% fat, if I strain off 500g if whey, does this mean I now have a 6% fat yoghurt? Or does some of the fat strain off in the whey?
  • daneellaw
    daneellaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump because a post that goes for over 10 years is awesome.
  • bobbyyzworld
    bobbyyzworld Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BUMP I recently started searching for answers on macros for homemade greek non fat yogurt and this post has one of the only concrete answers even after all these years!