HELP!!!!! need C25K advice

Options
so my week one days got alittle messed up. I started Tuesday got a call Wednesday that my son Baseball practice starts on Thursday so I couldnt run until Friday and I finished day 3 this morning.

I need some advice. I am good until the last 2 sets of run minutes..... I feel like dying. I am having a hard time getting my breathe caught up in a minute and half. I am nervous about advancing to week 2. Should I repeat week 1? Also when I did the 30DS it really did a number to my knee's and they only hurt after my run not during. Should I get knee braces? I am so not a runner and really want to accomplish this

Replies

• mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    definitely repeat week 1....I am on week 1 of a similar plan and I've been running for about 3 weeks!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You may want to repeat week 1, but I am wondering if you aren't running too fast. The idea is to run, not to race.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with rbyntes. Repeat week 1 and slow your run pace down.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would move onto week 2 and I would just take your running really slowly, if you jog slower and you feel good, you can always pick the pace up a bit! :) Good luck and keep going, you will get fitter faster than you think!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'd say try week 2 day 1. Slow down a little, and take smaller steps. Really, look at getting some new running shoes, if you don't specifically have shoes that you use to run, not cross trainers, might help out that knee.

If you fail, repeat week 1 (you will get 4 run days in then)

That is what I used to do.
  • wha1016
    wha1016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been working on the C25K, too! I've repeated the first 3 weeks twice each, and I'm starting to notice very good stamina improvement. I'm glad I haven't stopped!

I'm 45, I have aches and pains, but I'm determined not to stop moving, even if I end up doing more fast walking than running.

Hang in there! You can do it!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would just give er into week 2. If it's too much, do a combo of W1 and W2. I also agree with above, don't run too fast. First we want endurance, speed can come later.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Week one the idea is to actually jog, not run. This is one of the big reasons I'm doing C25K on a treadmill, so I can make sure I'm pacing myself correctly. I'm actually restarting at week one after getting to week 2, but having to take a week off due to the hurricane (I found I couldn't maintain the week 2 performance after a full week off, probably due to no electricity threw my diet way out of whack for a week.)

Week one is an easy jog for a minute, and walk for 90 seconds. You should feel out of breath when you hit your cool down, but if you feel like you're dying, you're probably overtraining.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi There.
    I would say if you aren't comfortable with moving up repeat week one.
    pay attention to your running stride along with how fast you are running....may just need to slow your pace some
    also what about your shoes??? may need to get a better pair with more support for your knees.
    good luck....you can do this!!!! :bigsmile:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I would ask what your goal is. Not to be snarky, but if your goal is to incorporate running into your life for its health benefits and a lifestyle change, then I'd repeat week 1. What's another week in one's lifetime?

If your goal is a 5K in the shortest amount of time, then move on to week 2.
  • shonasteele
    Options
    I'd say try week 2 day 1. Slow down a little, and take smaller steps. Really, look at getting some new running shoes, if you don't specifically have shoes that you use to run, not cross trainers, might help out that knee.

If you fail, repeat week 1 (you will get 4 run days in then)

That is what I used to do.
    Yup, that's pretty much what I'd say too!
    Slow & steady wins this particular race.
    Stick with it though... I just finished Week 5 and it is SO worth it!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 for 3 weeks and just advanced myself to week 2.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    well believe me I am not running it is more less a jog so maybe slow it down even more. maybe some better shoes are in order although my shoes are new they may not be the right ones. I think i am going to check out my local running store and have some test done to find the right shoes.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know this is going to be so beneifical for my health and weight in the long run and maybe tone up these long *kitten* legs I got...lol:blushing:
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Agree with others. Best of luck!
  • bourgeoisk
    bourgeoisk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are fans of repeating weeks, and I totally see why. I have decided to trust the program completely and even at 215 pounds have managed to progress through the program as it was laid out. I think a lot of the "repeat" is mental. There have been weeks I was scared to death to move on, but I trusted the program and as of today, I completed week 5 and the 20 minute run. A whole lot of this program is mental. And the best advice is to take it SLOW!!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    when you jog, go slow enough you could hold a (breathy) conversation with someone, take deep breaths in, fill your lungs, and exhale completely. i find so many times my endurance seems so directly related to my breathing. slow down, jog just so you are propelling yourself, when i started i could have walked faster than i was jogging! and now i just started my 5th week!