Losing weight

I’ve been eat about 1100-1200 calories a day and going to the gym for a week but my weight hasn’t changed. I NEED HELP!

Replies

• Pras72
    Pras72 Posts: 10 Member
    Kindly provide more details on ur routines and macro distribution. Are u getting enuf water ? Also leave first week , some people tend to retain water after good workouts..
  • hope7303
    hope7303 Posts: 7 Member
    I have leg day Sunday and Thursday. Chest and back day Monday and Friday. Arms and shoulders Tuesday and Saturday. I go to the gym and use the machines and the dumbbells and I do squats. Then I walk a mile on a incline of 5 speed of 3 everyday.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    hope7303 wrote: »
    I’ve been eat about 1100-1200 calories a day and going to the gym for a week but my weight hasn’t changed. I NEED HELP!

its only been a week... you need to be more patient.

do you weigh your food with scales?
  • hope7303
    edited January 2021
    @thisvickyruns No I’ve just been going off serving sizes and measuring cups. But I do need to get a scale. Does it help a lot?
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2021
    No I’ve just been going off serving sizes and measuring cups. But I do need to get a scale. Does it help a lot?

Yep, you'll see a massive difference when you get scales.

Where did you get a calorie goal of less than 1200 cals from? MFP won't give you that small a number and it's very unlikely to be necessary.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    1100-1200 calls per day?
    Unless you’re 4’10, you may want to reconsider that type of calorie intake. It’s kind of low, especially for someone working out at the gym everyday.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Measuring cups measure volume but calories are in relation to weight - using cups (and spoons) can be horrendously inaccurate for calories. Think about a cup of grated cheese....
    Lightly spinkled into the cup or pressed down tight?
    Ditch them!
    Even if you end up using scales for a period of time they are hugely educational as where your calories are coming from and your overall calorie intake.

BTW only you know how big you are, how you are estimating your exercise burns, how active you are in daily life, your diary is private....

But three over-riding things are:
    You aren't using good methods to estimate your food intake.
    It's only been a week!!!
    You have just started exercising which can cause inflammation and retention of water weight.
  • hope7303
    @forestfreek @thisvickyruns i just put my weight and height and goal into the category’s on this app and it said 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week. I’m only 5’2 so I’m not really tall. I want to lose about 40 pounds so I thought the less calories the better.
  • hope7303
    @sijomial thank you. I need to get a scale. I haven’t been that patient. I just thought I would loose more.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    @forestfreek @thisvickyruns i just put my weight and height and goal into the category’s on this app and it said 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week. I’m only 5’2 so I’m not really tall. I want to lose about 40 pounds so I thought the less calories the better.

Nope. Faster weight loss is not better. Slow and steady with small changes lead to greater success.
    2 lbs a week is usually recommended for someone extremely overweight. 1lb a week is probably better for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If you just need to lose 40 pounds, it's likely that 2 pounds a week is not a realistic goal for you. That's an appropriate goal for people who have a lot of weight to lose, but for smaller people it's just not possible to safely create the kind of deficit needed to achieve that weight loss.

You might want to choose a more realistic goal. Fewer calories isn't better -- it makes it harder to have energy for your daily activities (including exercise) and it can make it harder to stick to your plan and meet your nutritional needs.