How many calories do you need to eat

Options
I’m trying to gain weight at the moment and I was wondering how many calories do you need to eat to gain weight as I struggle to eat over 2,500 calories a day. I’m about 135lbs and am 5’11 so any advice would be helpful. (I’m pescatarian so can’t get protein from meat which doesn’t help)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This thread might help with getting calories up: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

You should focus on fatty fish and eggs/dairy if you eat those. Also, plant based proteins like sietan would help. In generally, lots of nuts and nut butters would make it easy to get calories up. And maybe more frequent meals
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are a young man. Sorry if I'm wrong.

If so, just eat a good balanced diet and get plenty of exercise doing activities you enjoy. Your body continues to grow well into your 20s. Enjoy it!
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What J said is right. Gaining weight for me has been a very taxing process. I graduated high school at 129 lbs standing at 5'6 and couldn't gain weight. Eating a balanced diet I have to ingest 2450 to maintain. I have worked my way up to 155 and fairly lean. Instead of bulking and cutting (this is because i never let myself get fat) I go through 8 week bulking cycles and then i maintain for 4-8 weeks. I fined that as a young man it is incredibly taxing to be force feeding that much food day in and day out. Take a break and make sure that what you end up doing is maintainable for your personality.