Weight gain

Options
Hello, i was informed that you have to multiply your weight by 15 to attain the amount of calorie maintenance. I’m 155 pounds trying to gain wait. For some reason it says i need to eat 3,240 pounds a day. This seems invalid

Replies

• taylorbaughman420
    Options
    Very valid. I’m 5’9” 180 lbs and I eat around 4000 calories a day while I’m bulking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Valid. When I was 19, to gain weight at 126lbs I ate 4000 calories a day. Am now in the mid 170's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Very inaccurate for me.
    x15 would only work on a day I do zero exercise. I'm commonly at between x18 and x21 to maintain weight.
    How fast you are trying to gain weight makes a huge difference to the number.

It doesn't make any sense for someone with an internet connection to use such a vague method that takes absolutely no regard of your day to day activity, your exercise, gender, age, body composition......

A 5' overweight, sedentary, non-exercising, elderly person at 200lbs would be given exactly the same calories as a 6', active, young person who is a high exerciser who happens also to be 200lb despite their needs clearly
    being very different.

Make no sense when there are far more nuanced estimators freely and easily available (like the one we are logged into now or a TDEE calculator). That by luck it might be reasonable for some people is a bit like saying playing darts wearing a blindfold works because some darts might by luck hit the dartboard.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", female, and weigh 168lb. I exercise at least 6 days per week for between 60 and 90 minutes. Mostly strength based with maybe one day a week of high intensity cardio. Otherwise I am marginally more active than sedentary. Per your formula I should consume 2520 calories to maintain (without counting exercise? - I'm not clear on this). I would gain weight (very slowly) on that intake with my current level of exercise.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hello, i was informed that you have to multiply your weight by 15 to attain the amount of calorie maintenance. I’m 155 pounds trying to gain wait. For some reason it says i need to eat 3,240 pounds a day. This seems invalid

Maintenance? Or gain?
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    certainly valid. the calculation makes my maintenance calories 2350. In actuality my maintenance is 2450. It is an almost perfect guideline. I am 5'6 and currently 155. When i a want to gain muscle i need at least 3000 calories per day to be gaining continuously.