This is what you'll weigh in 5 weeks

Options
Has this EVER been on target for anybody??
JMO but it's kind of a joke to me.

Just curious. :)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No. But I don't eat the same every day. I wonder if it's more accurate for someone who eats the same everyday.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Nah, even when I ate the same, my activity levels are not the same every day so it's a pointless bit of info for me.

I think you'd have to have a pretty static schedule of sleeping, eating, work, rest and exercise for this to be anywhere near spot on.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I completely agree. Water weight gain/loss is a big factor too. And if you think silly thoughts like 'gee I lost more than what I needed to or was predicted, that means I can eat a bit more'. See, that'd be me. :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Given if someone adhere's to a consistent program and followed it diligently, that's not out of consideration. Problem is many people do little things to go off program and/or try to do more than they should (like really under eat). Dependent on the person, how they look at it could be motivating or discouraging. That's why the boards are here. Hopefully if they aren't reaching that goal, they'd reassess and ask questions and someone here could help them identify the factors that may be holding them down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shiny_shiny
    shiny_shiny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That feature is just a cruel taunt at this point. I'm on my last five pounds and they are STUBBORN.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nah, even when I ate the same, my activity levels are not the same every day so it's a pointless bit of info for me.

I think you'd have to have a pretty static schedule of sleeping, eating, work, rest and exercise for this to be anywhere near spot on.

And then water retention and poop weight goes on top of this. Thus no, even if weight loss is over a longer time right on schedule I doubt I ever hit the stupid 5 week number.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is why I just don't close my diary at the end of the day. That little note really sends my brain spiraling in a bad way. I'll weigh whatever I weigh in five weeks, the days will be however they are.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It amused the hell out of me when I did 5:2 - on the maintenance days no weight loss was predicted, on the two very low calorie days it would predict I would waste away to nothing. It was fun but then again some pixels on a screen don't have that much traction on my mood.

The reality was that I steadily lost at 1lb/week because I had my weekly calorie allowance well dialled in.

Odd that people take so much notice of the number but ignore the "if every day were like today" caveat. It might be more useful if it worked over a week instead of a day's sample perhaps but it's just a rough guide based on people's frequently very also rough logging.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I ignore it completely. When I started losing weight, it was woefully underestimating and 70 lbs. later it's overly optimistic. :D
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Is a mathematical equation.

If you log 100% accurately today, and the app has absolutely correct data on the calories consumed and calories spent AND you have the exact same deficit for the next 5 weeks with no fluctuations due to water weight, etc.: then it will be accurate.

There are a lot of assumptions there. In reality, even if you make the best effort at accuracy there are going to be some errors. We're human afterall. And calories burned is an estimate as well. And days are different. And water weight does fluctuate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's an overly simplistic formula for projection. Everyday isn't going to be the same...even if your calories coming in were pretty much spot on, your CO day to day is likely to be quite variable...my exercise is generally pretty consistent and regular, but my day to day activity can be pretty variable depending on what I have going on that particular day. I can have really busy days at the office where I'm actually walking around quite a bit going to various meetings and/or needing to walk over to the other office complex on campus, etc and easily have over 10K steps and I can also have days where I literally sit at my desk most of the day and have around 2500 at COB. Never mind normal fluctuations.