Something "crunchy" to go with salsa?

Options
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of salsa. Which is pretty good for you, esp. if you make or buy freshly made stuff. However, I have a really hard time eating it without the 'crunch' of potato chips. I have tried the whole low-fat tortilla chips thing, but it doesn't matter when you can eat the whole bag. . . :embarassed: . . . in just one sitting. Yeah, I like salsa that much!

So, what else can I eat with salsa that has a crunch? I all ready put it in omelets and pair with grilled meats. I need some crunch!

Thanks!

Replies

• AmyLou9903
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of salsa. Which is pretty good for you, esp. if you make or buy freshly made stuff. However, I have a really hard time eating it without the 'crunch' of potato chips. I have tried the whole low-fat tortilla chips thing, but it doesn't matter when you can eat the whole bag. . . :embarassed: . . . in just one sitting. Yeah, I like salsa that much!

So, what else can I eat with salsa that has a crunch? I all ready put it in omelets and pair with grilled meats. I need some crunch!

Thanks!
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Celery ,carrots,broccoli,cauliflower.Any type of veggie
  • zoey1912
    zoey1912 Posts: 18
    Options
    You could use a toasted pita..cut it first in triangles then toast it. It's a lot better for you than chips and you can find it in whole wheat instead of white.
  • davesrig
    davesrig Posts: 6
    Options
    I will also use salsa on scrambled eggs and on salads instead of dressing.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a decent substitution.
    I pull out my portion of tortillas and get my bowl of salsa.
    I scoop as much salsa on that one poor chip as it will hold.
    If there is a good sub, please share it with me!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Carrot chips. They're just carrots cut for dipping. They're in the produce section.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I do.
    :cry:
    I :heart: you tortilla chips!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baking your own tortilla chips? Cut corn tortillas into triangles, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray & bake until crisp. You can even sprinkle salt & turn them once during the cooking.
    Sorry I don't remember what temperature. I don't know the calorie count either, but it shouldn't be much different than a tortilla?????
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    i go for baked chips, or bake my own (400 degree oven, spray cut up tortillas with a little cooking spray and spread in an even layer on a cookie sheet. It only takes a couple of minutes. Watch them close so they don't burn) I just get out a portion and put the rest away....also I have found I really like seedless cucumbers cut into "chips" they are good with salsa.

one other thing that might work for you....Wasa light n crisp they're super crunchy but really light, and about 15 or 20 calories a piece for a large cracker. I sometimes break those into pieces and use them like chips.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Yup that's me too!

It's funny that you posted this topic I almost posted the exact same thing. I know that making your own chips can be better...but sadly they don't seem to have any less calories than a normal serving of the store bought chips.

And I gotta say...as much as I love veggies, a carrot stick won't cut it or my cravings!
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    try using eggroll wrappers or wonton wrappers to make chips,
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    I thought I was alone!! I love tortillas and salsa I too can sit and eat a whole bag if I wanted.. I could eat that alone all day! I love homemade fresh salsa!!!
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try just taking one serving out of the bag and put the rest away! You might have a guilt trip going back for more...I know I do! Good luck!:smile:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wow guys its early in the morning and your asking about crunch for salsa..I have to tell ya...you now have me craving my 10 chips and a jar of salsa :laugh: :laugh: I always count out my chips also because I cant control it any other way..and yes I have tried carrot sticks and there is no way in hell there is any comparison..:laugh: :laugh: I'd love to find something else also..
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Wow, looks like I'm not alone in this!

I am going to try to make my own chips using pita bread and tortillas.

I might also try portioning out the chips, but that may not work so well unless the hubs is here and can "hide" the rest from me!

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming! :)
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    not really a "crunch" but i wanted to get in on the I love Salsa Bandwagon.. I recently started using it for my salad dressing..
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    thats my splurge food, I LOVE chips and salsa, nothing else is the same IMHO :love: :heart:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Hmm, I'm going to try artichokes with salsa....we'll see.
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    A biggest Loser recipe

Andrea Baptiste's Baked Corn Chips ( 12 eight chip servings)

12 -6 inch stone ground corn tortillas ( about 12 oz)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees f
    divide tortillas into two stacks. Cut each stack into eight chip- size wedges. Arrange the chips in a single layer on two baking sheets. Lightly coat chips with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder and salt, if using,. Gently toss the chips and rearrange to cover the baking sheets evenly.

Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes longer or until chips are crisp, but not brown. ( keep in mind that fresh tortillas have more moisture and will take a few minutes longer to bake than not-so-fresh tortillas.) Cool . Serve.

64 calories
    1g protein
    12g carb
    1g total fat
    0 sat
    0 poly
    1g monounsaturated
    0 mg cholesterol
    2g fiber
    42mg sodium
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    A biggest Loser recipe

Andrea Baptiste's Baked Corn Chips ( 12 eight chip servings)

12 -6 inch stone ground corn tortillas ( about 12 oz)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees f
    divide tortillas into two stacks. Cut each stack into eight chip- size wedges. Arrange the chips in a single layer on two baking sheets. Lightly coat chips with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder and salt, if using,. Gently toss the chips and rearrange to cover the baking sheets evenly.

Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes longer or until chips are crisp, but not brown. ( keep in mind that fresh tortillas have more moisture and will take a few minutes longer to bake than not-so-fresh tortillas.) Cool . Serve.

64 calories
    1g protein
    12g carb
    1g total fat
    0 sat
    0 poly
    1g monounsaturated
    0 mg cholesterol
    2g fiber
    42mg sodium