Protein Shakes

Options
Hi I am using protein shakes for snacking, but have been suprised how many calories and sugars some contain...so be warned.

I am male 6' 2in and 23 stone and would really like to get back to my youthful days of 13.5 stone.....started going down the gym and walking on the treadmill and a bit of swimming.....I can see its going to be a long and hard road :cry:

Replies

• PBJunkie
    Options
    Well if you get a decent whey such as ON 100% Gold Standard then you have 24 grams of Protein per serving with 3 grams of Carbs and 0 for fat....quality at its best.
  • gumpshrimp
    gumpshrimp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi im sarah and looking to get in shape and lose my flabby bits. i have joined mfp in the hope that i can achieve my goals. im looking for friends to help keep me motivated and vis versa. feel free to add me gumpshrimp. good luck everyone x
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hi I use a high efficiency protein dietary supplement which has 0 fat, 0 sugar, 31 protein and on 160 calories in 2 scoops. It's a Parrillo Hi-Protein powder. I hope you do well on your continued journey
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like Syntrax Nectar, it has 25 calories, and 24 grams of protein. No fat, No Carbs and it is very clean.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.......i shall start searching the net :bigsmile:
  • aj41568
    Options
    Designer whey shakes have a 100 calories and 18 grams of protein and taste pretty good. I was also surprised to see how high in calories some of the shakes are.
    Best Wishes!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein shakes for pretty much this reason. They aren't healthy. Most are sugar laden, and those that aren't taste rank. You almost certainly don't need the extra protein if you are eating a balanced diet. I have no problems getting enough protein even without meat in my diet. I really don't think most people need protein shakes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I like Syntrax Nectar, it has 25 calories, and 24 grams of protein. No fat, No Carbs and it is very clean.

Not meaning to sound nit picky, but 1g of protein provides 4 calories, so how can 24g of protein only have 25 cals?
  • mcdonl
    Options

Not meaning to sound nit picky, but 1g of protein provides 4 calories, so how can 24g of protein only have 25 cals?

Ooops, I mixed my serving vs. drink ratio's... there are 25 calories, 6g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat per serving... I use 4 servings so I get 100 Calories, and 24gr of protein.

And I think it may be a little general to say they are not healthy... when used properly, and when you shop around and get good clean protein shakes than CAN be healthy. But I agree, a lot of the junk on the shelves are just protein rich milk shakes with a bunch of crap it it but I would argue that my shakes made with sugar free almond milk are pretty friggen tasty and healthy.
  • BBCTiffyB
    BBCTiffyB Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use my meal replacement drinks as my protein drink since it is specifically for both. That way instead of it being for a "snack" it is my breakfast too =) Even through my (cooled off) coffee into it =)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Geez, you guys need everything good to be low calories. Leave some healthy food for people who need to bulk up!

I use Optimum Whey cookies and cream. They have a lot of flavours and mix well. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein shakes for pretty much this reason. They aren't healthy. Most are sugar laden, and those that aren't taste rank. You almost certainly don't need the extra protein if you are eating a balanced diet. I have no problems getting enough protein even without meat in my diet. I really don't think most people need protein shakes.
    Whey protein is perfectly healthy.. premade shakes and protein bars are packed with unnecessary sugar but 1-3g carb and 24+g of protein is a really good macro, especially for a lot of people on this site who seem to eat 50-65% of their calories from carbs.
  • mcdonl
    Options
    Whey protein is perfectly healthy.. premade shakes and protein bars are packed with unnecessary sugar but 1-3g carb and 24+g of protein is a really good macro, especially for a lot of people on this site who seem to eat 50-65% of their calories from carbs.

Good points Jesung... I know that for me, doing P90X and being a Firefighter/EMS provider, teacher, father of two and amatuer athlete I need calories, protein and energy. I also need to lose weight but I cut out Dairy, carbs that are not from fiber primarily and by turning up the exercise.

Check out the Syntrax products... they are pretty clean... IMO....