Body Image Issues

Options
Do you think you're way heavier, uglier, more unlovable than others see you?

Do you wind up sabotaging yourself? Have you ever gotten really honest about your body image issues?

I just finished blogging about a recent conversation pertaining to body image issues. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Meg2012/view/body-image-issues-146330) And I'd bet it's a common thread here. Particularly for any self-confessed yo-yo dieter.

What are your issues? Where do you think they've come from? How have you overcome them?

Here's a topic we can all share on.

Meg

Replies

• Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have body image issues because my mom used to say I was a fat ugly pig when I was a kid. It really messed with my head. I look in the mirror and I want to throw up. I feel disgusting, even though those around me tell me I am beautiful. It doesn't help though. I wish it did.

Working on it though!!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meg! I always viewed myself as thin, because growing up I never had an issue with my body. Even know I see myself thinner than I really am, prob because I avoid the mirror. I think I need to strip, and spend some time in front of the mirror to get to know my body better.
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have body image issues because my mom used to say I was a fat ugly pig when I was a kid. It really messed with my head. I look in the mirror and I want to throw up. I feel disgusting, even though those around me tell me I am beautiful. It doesn't help though. I wish it did.

Working on it though!!

that is sad :( as an education major, I have taken more psych classes than I ever thought I would have to where I attend college and reading this reminded me of the plethora of times we learned about how what a child hears at a young age can effect them mentally for the rest of their lives! I am sorry you were told something so distasteful at such a young age, by someone who is suppose to make you feel good about yourself!
  • sclarke76
    Options
    i also have body image issues all i see in the mirror is someone very fat n very ugly i hope that 1 day this will change but we"l see x x x
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I find that as I get skinnier and skinnier, the fatter I feel. I look in the mirror and think I look bigger than I ever did weighing almost 300 pounds. Now /that's/ some screwed up body image. Not sure how to turn it around, but I've just started seeing a psychiatrist for my ED... Maybe she can help.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah there's this girl I know and every time I see her she tells me I'm fcking fat. I weigh 113lbs right now but she says that's enormous...even though she's the same size as me. Come to think of it...she looks just like me in every way. I try to avoid her but it's hard when I stare in the mirror and see her.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Working on it though!!

That's a horrible thing for a kid to go through, and I could never say that about anyone, not even someone that I disliked, but you ARE beautiful, you just need to believe it!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

Working on it though!!

Oh God.:brokenheart: Keep working! Because you are beautiful and someday you'll see it. Someday. :flowerforyou:
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Absolutely.

Even though I hear people say all the time that I look great. Even though my legs don't hang over the sides of the chairs anymore. Even though I have managed to fit into a Size 4 pair of jeans.

The fat chick in the mirror is still staring back at me.

I have to remind myself all the time that I LOOK GOOD. I may not be the prettiest person in the world, but I am trying to be the best ME I an be :)
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to be very skinny. Then I started gaining weight which I didn't mind because I needed to gain weight. Then I got to the point that I felt disgusting. I got pregnant last year and gained 30 pounds. My baby is almost 9 months old and I still feel giant and gross. I don't like the person I see in the mirror. I want a skinny face and stomach. People tell me all that time that I don't need to lose weight and that I look great. I wish I could believe that!
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had many of those same issues over the years.... Taming the self talk is the key. Read "Peace, love and the 24 inch waist" I also subscribe to a weekly email service (free) written by Lou Tice, called the WInner's circle. Lots of great stuff... He focuses on managing your internal beliefs by adjusting your thoughts..... I think its great... It takes time...
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    I've had issues my whole life, won't get into my childhood but I am just now at almost 50 trying to accept myself. At least working on it. I feel like I'm getting to old to worry all the time. I have always tried to be perfect and know that will never happen.

I will accept myself for what I am today!! At least trying now :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nope. If anything I think I am more attractive than I actually am, and am very put out when others don't agree.
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Working on it though!!

Was your mom heavy? My mom was morbidly obese and had mental problems. If she didn't take her meds, her personality could get kinda ugly, because SHE felt that way.

Either way, it's a hard thing to go through as a kid.

It takes work to replace the negative "tape recorder" in your head with a positive one. But it CAN be done!
  • Meg2012
    Options
    Thanks Meg! I always viewed myself as thin, because growing up I never had an issue with my body. Even know I see myself thinner than I really am, prob because I avoid the mirror. I think I need to strip, and spend some time in front of the mirror to get to know my body better.

CoCoMa - I so know what you're talking about! I have this "Inner size 5" which I haven't been since HS. I'll go pick something off the rack and it's either way too small or way too big. Isn't it funny the way our minds effect us? (I suspect that's one way we get heavy in the first place. It happens slowly, and we still "feel" like our old self, so we don't notice too much.)
  • Meg2012
    Options
    NMFB - Size 4 is nowhere near my goal weight, I'm aiming higher, but that's ok. Just move and fuel yourself with love and you'll be great!
  • Meg2012
    Options
    I used to be very skinny. Then I started gaining weight which I didn't mind because I needed to gain weight. Then I got to the point that I felt disgusting. I got pregnant last year and gained 30 pounds. My baby is almost 9 months old and I still feel giant and gross. I don't like the person I see in the mirror. I want a skinny face and stomach. People tell me all that time that I don't need to lose weight and that I look great. I wish I could believe that!

HM - are there any "Baby & Me" type classes in your area? It can double a work out or a walk with time playing with the baby and socializing with other moms & babes.
  • Meg2012
    Options
    AMKAG- Excellent advice. It really is all about taming the brain!
  • Meg2012
    Options
    I've had issues my whole life, won't get into my childhood but I am just now at almost 50 trying to accept myself. At least working on it. I feel like I'm getting to old to worry all the time. I have always tried to be perfect and know that will never happen.

I will accept myself for what I am today!! At least trying now :)

WTG Lori!