Could somebody explain this to me !!

Options
Current weight: 71.8 -72.2 kg
Height: 163 cm

Good Day, All :)

I have been in trying to lose weight for the entire 2020 year, my schedule is:

- eating 1300- until almost 1600 Cal a day.
- workout 5-6 days a week for 1 hour.
- I stop eating at 6 or 6:30 pm.
- I only have one cheat meal in a week ( dinner)
- in a month I pause workouts for a week cause of my period.

on the 17th of December, my weight was: 72.3 kg

I was busy so for a whole week I could not work out, the following week I got my period so I did not work out. However, I still eat according to my calories in those two weeks.

On the 4th of January, my weight was 71.8, tbh I was a little disappointed but from the next day I started working out again for six days, on the 11th of January I checked my weight and it was 72.2 kg !!! 😫😫 . However, I continued for another week and today I checked my weight and it is 71.8 kg. What is happening and why is it happening? what is my weight right now? I'm Soo CONFUSED💔.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,223 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal, you might find this link useful:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    0Leena0 wrote: »

I was busy so for a whole week I could not work out, the following week I got my period so I did not work out. However, I still eat according to my calories in those two weeks.

On the 4th of January, my weight was 71.8, tbh I was a little disappointed but from the next day I started working out again for six days, on the 11th of January I checked my weight and it was 72.2 kg !!! 😫😫 . However, I continued for another week and today I checked my weight and it is 71.8 kg. What is happening and why is it happening? what is my weight right now? I'm Soo CONFUSED💔.

Your weight is not a constant figure, it fluctuates all the time with food intake, bathroom visits and water fluctuations from hormones, macro ratios, sodium intake and sometimes from new or more intense exercise. Fat loss does not always show on the scale the way we expect it to.

Sounds like you retained some water around the time you were 72.2 possibly from restarting the exercise, possibly from hormonal fluctuations and when you've weighed in again, it's started coming off again.

If you're not used to your fluctuations, try using a trendweight app such as Libra (Android) or Happy Scale (iOS), might help you better understand them.

In any case, what you're seeing happen is totally normal, just stick to what you've been doing if it's been working up to now.

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg
  • 0Leena0
    0Leena0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Your weight is not a constant figure, it fluctuates all the time with food intake, bathroom visits and water fluctuations from hormones, macro ratios, sodium intake and sometimes from new or more intense exercise. Fat loss does not always show on the scale the way we expect it to.

Sounds like you retained some water around the time you were 72.2 possibly from restarting the exercise, possibly from hormonal fluctuations and when you've weighed in again, it's started coming off again.

If you're not used to your fluctuations, try using a trendweight app such as Libra (Android) or Happy Scale (iOS), might help you better understand them.

In any case, what you're seeing happen is totally normal, just stick to what you've been doing if it's been working up to now.

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

So does that mean that in two weeks i have lost nothing !! :(

thanks, i will check the apps you recommended
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If I have a rest week with little exercise, I usually drop a pound or 2 that I am carrying round for muscle repair. its completely normal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

Your body consists of a lot of stuff that can change: body fat, muscles, fluids, waste in your intestines, also pee.
    Obvious waste and pee vary depending on when you last went to the loo and how much you've eaten/drank. Muscles have fairly little variation as it takes a proper while to gain muscles. Losing them of course is possible if you don't use them or doing weight loss (it always happens a bit). Fluid varies a lot! Some people fluctuate 5lbs from day to day. Nothing unusual there. It's just how our bodies function. And then there's fat, which you want to lose.

So if you lose 1lbs of fat from one week to another you should see that on the scale. But fluid weight, waste and pee constantly fluctuate, and they might mask the loss of this half pound. Thus: a weight trending app, and patience, lots of patience.
  • 0Leena0
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

Also when you start working out, you'll LIKELY gain weight because the body adjust to recovery and repair by retaining water. This is NOT UNCOMMON. It can last for a couple of weeks. And whenever you STOP, the process restarts again when you restart. Your expectations are TOO HIGH for such a short time. Patience and CONSISTENCY on a program will yield results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The words “cheat meal” stick out to me.

Once a week? Define cheat? Anything goes? A cheat meal can completely offset all the deficits you’ve had earlier in the week. I think you need a longer period of time to actually see if you’re holding steady, but it’s sounding a bit like you’ve found maintenance- probably due to that weekly cheat meal.

As much as we’d love to believe we get diet grace every week, it all boils down to cold, hard, cruel numbers.

If you want a large weekend meal, you may need to dial the rest of the week back to accommodate it- or choose a niftier “cheat”.

My Sunday evening pigout last night was three servings of angus steak @150 calories per 4oz serving. It felt luxurious but fit within my day. Sometimes I do a serving of higher calorie steak supplemented with a grilled chicken breast.

thanks for stopping by, I would like to clarify one thing because I felt I gave the wrong impression :smile: I started my weight loss journey in January 2020.

for the cheat meal, yes i do count calories when I eat I don't give my self a free pass at all like if I had a burger and fries it would be around 1500 cal
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

Also when you start working out, you'll LIKELY gain weight because the body adjust to recovery and repair by retaining water. This is NOT UNCOMMON. It can last for a couple of weeks. And whenever you STOP, the process restarts again when you restart. Your expectations are TOO HIGH for such a short time. Patience and CONSISTENCY on a program will yield results.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Once a week? Define cheat? Anything goes? A cheat meal can completely offset all the deficits you’ve had earlier in the week. I think you need a longer period of time to actually see if you’re holding steady, but it’s sounding a bit like you’ve found maintenance- probably due to that weekly cheat meal.

As much as we’d love to believe we get diet grace every week, it all boils down to cold, hard, cruel numbers.

If you want a large weekend meal, you may need to dial the rest of the week back to accommodate it- or choose a niftier “cheat”.

My Sunday evening pigout last night was three servings of angus steak @150 calories per 4oz serving. It felt luxurious but fit within my day. Sometimes I do a serving of higher calorie steak supplemented with a grilled chicken breast.

thanks for stopping by, I would like to clarify one thing because I felt I gave the wrong impression :smile: I started my weight loss journey in January 2020.

for the cheat meal, yes i do count calories when I eat I don't give my self a free pass at all like if I had a burger and fries it would be around 1500 cal

So you're saying that in a year of dieting you haven't lost any significant weight, or that you've been losing consistently and only recently has your weight loss stalled? If it's the latter then look to all the people above. Weight will fluctuate and you have to use some type of average to judge your progress. Also note if you've been losing weight for a year and now your weight loss has stalled you may need to readjust your calorie intake. If you've lost a lot of weight you'll be burning fewer calories because you're no longer carrying around all that weight you lost.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

It means in 2 weeks you should not be thinking you have enough info available to decide anything.

Your body is literally changing it's metabolism over the course of a month - therefore you require no less than 28 days to even get meaningful figures.

And that's if you get valid non-water weight fluctuated figures.

It's as if you have gotten the ATM receipt with account balance after pulling out $40, but it gives no clue if work paycheck deposited, or if auto-pay utility hit, ect.
    You going to make decision as to true available balance to go use Debit card without knowing? (hopefully not anyway)
  • 0Leena0
    Options

GaryRuns wrote: »

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you're saying that in a year of dieting you haven't lost any significant weight, or that you've been losing consistently and only recently has your weight loss stalled? If it's the latter then look to all the people above. Weight will fluctuate and you have to use some type of average to judge your progress. Also note if you've been losing weight for a year and now your weight loss has stalled you may need to readjust your calorie intake. If you've lost a lot of weight you'll be burning fewer calories because you're no longer carrying around all that weight you lost.

I did lose weight for a period of six months I have lost 10 kg after that in July I have noticed that my weight lose barely 1 kg a month << either 1 kg or Less, 500g >> although I was a little frustrated that I was losing 1 kg despite me changing food eating options and workout as well I continued but then this happened
  • 0Leena0
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

It means in 2 weeks you should not be thinking you have enough info available to decide anything.

Your body is literally changing it's metabolism over the course of a month - therefore you require no less than 28 days to even get meaningful figures.

It's as if you have gotten the ATM receipt with account balance after pulling out $40, but it gives no clue if work paycheck deposited, or if auto-pay utility hit, ect.
    You going to make decision as to true available balance to go use Debit card without knowing? (hopefully not anyway)

it is a month, I did not work out for two weeks then I workout for two weeks = one month
    in those two weeks that I did not exercise I was eating according to my calories
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You need to look at the big picture. One month of what it says on a scale is a snapshot.

Here's a pic of my weight trend for a time when I was eating at or below my calorie goal every single day:

8d2nm3a4r704.jpg

The dots are my daily weight and the line is my overall trend.

The month between early Jan and early Feb looks like I ended up the same weight after gaining some weight then losing it. It was all water weight in the background while I was constantly losing fat. I didn't change anything about my eating or exercise because I knew that I was in a calorie deficit and that weight loss would eventually show up on the scale. The daily weight is just a point of data in the overall picture of my approximate actual weight. Actual weight is more of a range than a specific number.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. The smaller you get, the slower it will go because you don't have as much excess fat to create a comfortable deficit while still eating enough. As long as you stay at an overall calorie deficit over time, you'll lose weight over time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

9lhbsma9woo1.jpg

it is a month, I did not work out for two weeks then I workout for two weeks = one month
    in those two weeks that I did not exercise I was eating according to my calories

It is a total of a month - but aren't you looking at numbers based on 2 weeks of activity.

Again - your metabolism literally changes through the month.

Which means what you burn daily even IF you did exactly the same activity literally changes through the month.

Which means even IF you could literally eat a set amount of calories each day, your deficit would be different depending on the time in that month.

So while a guy with his hormones could weigh each week and if no known water weight fluctuations to question the weight, could discern something each week - you require a month.

If the prior weigh-in and the current weigh-in have some water weight fluctuations - require another month.
    Or at least 2 other points in time 1 month apart with valid weigh-ins (morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from last workout).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by this thread...OP, it sounds like you have been doing this for a year. Is this the first weight loss stall you've encountered? Have you lost any weight at all in that year?
  • 0Leena0
    Options
    I'm a little confused by this thread...OP, it sounds like you have been doing this for a year. Is this the first weight loss stall you've encountered? Have you lost any weight at all in that year?

I did lose weight for a period of six months I have lost 10 kg after that in July I have noticed that my weight lose barely 1 kg a month << either 1 kg or Less, 500g >> although I was a little frustrated that I was losing 1 kg despite me changing food eating options and workout as well I continued but then this happened
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Ok...so I'm assuming, based on this answer, that you've chosen 1lb/.5 kg a week as your rate of loss? Now though,
    you have started noticing more like .5 lb a week these last few months, up to now. At your current height and weight, you appear to be just outside of the healthy BMI range, so .5 lb a week actually is a pretty good healthy rate of loss. However, if you had chosen 1 lb and week and were losing. 5, there are a couple of things...

First, usually it's one of the first questions in threads like this but I didn't see anyone ask...are you weighing everything you eat on a food scale and measuring all liquids? How do you choose your entries in the MFP database? Do you check them against your food labels to make sure what you're choosing matches what your nutrition facts say on the label? (MFP is a user maintained database, so entries are frequently incorrect, that's why I am asking this.)

Second, the smaller you get and the more weight you lose, the fewer calories your body needs to function. Also, the less calories you will burn during exercise as well, if you're doing the same routine. Is 1300 your current calorie goal? Is the 1600 you mention above the total amount of calories you eat if you exercise that day? If not 1300, what is the calorie goal MFP calculated for your rate of loss? If it's 1600, you may need to readjust at this point. If it's 1300, then I'm back to wondering about the food scale question.

Finally, I would agree with what ninerbuff mentioned about stopping and starting exercise and water weight. If you've had your period recently, all of that could be coming into play as well. It's pretty unusual for someone to lose weight every week like clockwork. Typically stalls of a couple of weeks here and there are very common. These aren't plateaus; they're just the body catching up. I start to notice more stalls especially the smaller I get.

I was going to ask about the cheat meal since that stood out to me, but I see you covered that above.

I'm thinking maybe give it a couple more weeks to see if anything changes. If not, then you may need to recalculate your calorie goal or if you aren't weighing your food, definitely consider it for awhile.