Premium features you use daily??

I just signed up for Premium. I’m not seeing a lot of bonus features that i would use regularly. Which premium features are invaluable to you and why?

Replies

• 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2021
    I used to have it, realized it's not worth it. A lot of people do it just to get rid of the ads, and it makes the app run smoother.

The macros by food is a decent feature if you are counting them. I don't know if that alone is worth the cost though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited January 2021
    As I'm boycotting Premium on principle until the shared cluttered, glitchy database is cleaned up, I can't help you.

I'd consider Premium if it only consisted of entries from the USDA (without the decimal errors, unit errors, 0 calorie pecans errors, 2000 calorie per clove of garlic errors, etc.) and entries I added myself.

This is an ADMIN-created entry pulled from the USDA database, and as you see, 1 C of pecans has zero calories:

2dd87c53dd7b0bd529877a34953d50c2.png

I guess they got tired of "fixing" the raw garlic entry, as I cannot currently find the admin-created listing.

I used to report issues like this to Support, but the process was so frustrating and unproductive that I stopped. For instance, an issue would be mark Resolved if they had responded to my email, as opposed to actually, you know, RESOLVING it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I had the opportunity to try premium for three months - I'm about a month in so far. There's nothing I'd classify as "useful," let alone "invaluable."

I guess it was kinda interesting for a couple of days to see my top foods for different macronutrients for the week, but once the novelty wore off I don't even check it anymore.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I had the opportunity to try premium for three months - I'm about a month in so far. There's nothing I'd classify as "useful," let alone "invaluable."

I guess it was kinda interesting for a couple of days to see my top foods for different macronutrients for the week, but once the novelty wore off I don't even check it anymore.

Same, I've not used any of it really since I had access to it, played around with a few bits, but a lot of the Premium features I already had workarounds for in the free version. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying for the service when the website is regularly temperamental, the app is worse still for playing up. I don't mind when it's free, but to pay for the privilege of refreshing constantly trying to get into the food database - no thanks.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

Same, I've not used any of it really since I had access to it, played around with a few bits, but a lot of the Premium features I already had workarounds for in the free version. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying for the service when the website is regularly temperamental, the app is worse still for playing up. I don't mind when it's free, but to pay for the privilege of refreshing constantly trying to get into the food database - no thanks.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I've had Premium for a year. I don't use any of the features. It's nice not to have ads.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have logged all of my food and exercise for 9+ years. A year or so ago, the diary in the free version became limited to 2 years of data. I had premium so I could download/export the rest.

None of the other premium features are of any interest to me. I though I might like the time stamp, but meh. I didn’t care as much as I thought I might.

I would be more inclined to be interested in a pretty hefty premium price tag if the “go premium now” buttons and pop ups weren’t the only things that actually worked flawlessly.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Getting rid of the ads is worth the cost of admission since I log all day every day. That's what finally pushed me to get Premium.

Everything else I could work around with the Free version but these are nice and I use them regularly:

1. The time stamps. I already had my "meals" separated into 6 4-hour blocks to give me an approximate consumption time but I like the time stamps.

2. Macros by gram in conjunction with exercise calories. With the free version, I just kept in mind my actual Calorie, Fat, and Protein goals and mostly ignored what MFP told me for those since exercise screwed up the numbers anyway. Premium lets me set my Protein and Fat goals by gram and leave them at those amounts while throwing the extra exercise calories into Carbs. I don't use the numbers to shift around my Calorie goal day-to-day (I like a consistent Calorie goal) but I use them in hindsight to see what happens over time and make adjustments.

3. I think that I have the Nutrient Dashboard set differently from the default.

4. Quick Add Macronutrients comes in handy on the very rare occasion that I want to put something into my diary that I don't want to put into My Foods. I don't use the main database except in very rare circumstances, like if I'm out and about and don't already have an item in My Foods - even then, I'll replace it when I get home and can double-check the nutrition info from another source. My Foods is essentially my private database and I like having the ability to Quick Add Macros so that My Foods doesn't get cluttered with rarely eaten items.

I don't use them regularly, but I like having access to all Weekly Digests and the ability to export data.