Recipes and Tracking

This might be a silly question but tonight I made some Blueberry Protein Waffles for meal prep and I’m a little confused on how to log it.

Each waffle fits 1/4 of a cup which on the scale is approximately 44 grams raw batter. I kept this in mind so I could log it in accordingly depending how many waffles I eat at a time.

Once they were cooked, I weighed it again and each waffle (previously 1/4 of a cup of raw batter) now weighs around 20 grams less. They weight around 25-27 grams each.

My question: when logging in the serving (grams) from my recipe on the app, which grams do I go by? I’m assuming it’s the raw batter amount? It’s such a big difference.

4dpvgn4wgh1z.jpeg
ywqwjay8y4wa.jpeg

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    For things like this, I input the whole recipe into the recipe builder and then I would make each individual waffle a serving. Don't use an option that's already in the database as the ingredients could be different.

So, for example, if my total recipe was 2000 calories (for the whole batch of batter) and I can get 12 waffles out of that, I would select 12 as the serving amount, at 166cal per waffle. This allows you to log as many waffles as your calorie budget affords.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited January 2021
    The raw weight is what matters if you logged raw ingredients. Moisture will have evaporated by cooking the waffles, but that doesn't change the amount of calories that was in the original portion of mixture.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    For things like this, I input the whole recipe into the recipe builder and then I would make each individual waffle a serving. Don't use an option that's already in the database as the ingredients could be different.

So, for example, if my total recipe was 2000 calories (for the whole batch of batter) and I can get 12 waffles out of that, I would select 12 as the serving amount, at 166cal per waffle. This allows you to log as many waffles as your calorie budget affords.

This is exactly what I do, too. 375g of sausage meat + 375g of puff pastry (because I cheat and buy ready rolled..) = 16 servings of 1 sausage roll at 145calories each. When I log the recipe then, I just select 1, or however many, servings.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'd use the raw weight.
    Sometimes when I make a batter or a salad dressing where I really don't know how many servings I'll get out of it I'll log all the ingredients into the recipe builder then get a total weight for the recipe and just call it "1 serving"

When I get ready to log, I can then log a proportion of that. So if the entire recipe weighed 521 grams liquid batter and one waffle was 44 grams and I had two waffles, I'd log 88/521 = 0.169 servings.

Another way to do the same thing without the math is to put in the recipe as 521 1-gram servings and then log 88 of them :-)
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member

makes total sense! Thank you!

• misslizzierod
    Lietchi wrote: »
    The raw weight is what matters if you logged raw ingredients. Moisture will have evaporated by cooking the waffles, but that doesn't change the amount of calories that was in the original portion of mixture.
    Great point!
  • misslizzierod
    I'd use the raw weight.
    Sometimes when I make a batter or a salad dressing where I really don't know how many servings I'll get out of it I'll log all the ingredients into the recipe builder then get a total weight for the recipe and just call it "1 serving"

When I get ready to log, I can then log a proportion of that. So if the entire recipe weighed 521 grams liquid batter and one waffle was 44 grams and I had two waffles, I'd log 88/521 = 0.169 servings.

Another way to do the same thing without the math is to put in the recipe as 521 1-gram servings and then log 88 of them :-)
    thank you!

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    I enter the recipe as 1 serving and divide from there.

For the same 2000 calorie recipe, if I split it into four servings. I log it as .25 servings.

Same end result, just seems easier to me. In my own head, which doesn’t always operate like others. Whatever works. 🤷🏻‍♀️