Blisters

Options
I have never been a runner or a serious walker, but I am finding that this may be my best exercise.....that being said I took a 2.3 mile walk this morning and I've got blisters on the calluses on the heel of my foot....my shoes feel good on my feet - except for that one spot. I am wearing runners socks, bc those were recommended to me for blisters, but it really hasn't helped.....I want to keep the momentum that I have found again, so I really could use some help!! Besides making walking for exercise painful, it makes wearing the dress shoes I wear for work miserable as well. :(

Any suggestions??

Replies

• kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Put some Moleskin on the places where you blister before you go walking. That's the only thing that saves me when we go to Disney World.
  • Hbalagh
    Options
    Thanks I think I will try this too as I keep getting blisters in the same spots on my feet too
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Even though the shoes feel good you might not have a good fit. Doesn't seem like you should blister after a few miles if your shoes fit properly.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    If you get pedicures I would stop for a few weeks those blister are building into caluses that will help protect your feet. Try putting on blister bandaids on those spots it will give you a little extra cushioning. Also go to a sport store and have them help you find the best shoes. It might be something as simple as the material in your shoes not allowing your feet to breath
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot and also get blisters in the same spots. Blister bandaids are expensive but do seem to cushion the pain a bit.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    moleskin is a great idea to cover the blisters. once they go away you could use some Body Glide on the hot areas that rub.

blessings.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There has been some great advices as to preventing blisters. But for healing an existing blister, here's how you can do it real quick.

1) Get a sewing needle and a cotton thread.

2) Put a cotton thread into a needle; sterilize the needle (or at least make sure it's clean).

3) Carefully put the needle and the thread through the dead skin of the blister. Pull the needle through slowly, so that a small part of the thread (but NOT the needle) is inside the blister, going through the dead skin.

4) Cut the thread by the needle's eye, and leave it alone. The fluid will drain through the thread. Note that the bigger the blister, the longer the thread needs to be to absorb the fluid.

5) Once it's completely drained, slowly pull the thread out. The discomfort is GONE! The raw skin inside of the blister should heal overnight as well, with the dead skin acting like a band aid.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your socks could be too thick or too thin. I would try different socks.
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!