Garmin Connect Steps

This is my forth week using MFP and I've been using a Garmin Connect app to track exercise and steps. Up until yesterday my steps had been calculating into calories burned. Today I've walked over 17,000 steps, but MFP still has a zero for calories burned. Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Mine does that sometimes - you can try either re-sync through Garmin connect or forcing a sync through MFP. I think it's part of the ginormous MFP bug-list. Mine eventually syncs up.
  • endlesssummer58
    endlesssummer58 Posts: 2 Member
    mine will actually lose food that i input in to the app.
  • bmerkley2019
    bmerkley2019 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2019
    This happened to me today as well, no calorie adjustment for steps taken. How do you force the "re sync". On recent days past my step count was lower but adjustment higher than today. Just hoping for consistency

If doing strength training how do people add the calories burned as MFP only recognizes cardio activity
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    This happened to me today as well, no calorie adjustment for steps taken. How do you force the "re sync". On recent days past my step count was lower but adjustment higher than today. Just hoping for consistency

If doing strength training how do people add the calories burned as MFP only recognizes cardio activity

You go into the cardiovascular logging part and log the minutes as "strength training". The strength training logging part just lets you keep track of reps/sets/weight.
  • fvillalta51307
    fvillalta51307 Posts: 1 Member
    my garmin steps are not syncing to my fitnesspal app. i went on the website thru my computer and unsync from both fitnesspal and then went thru garmin and synced to MFP, went back to MFP website and selected garmin as my step tracker... the MFP website shows garmin, however, when i go back to MFP app, it still fitbit as the selected step counter. i tried logging out hoping it would refresh... did not work. WHAT GIVES???? anyone having this issues?? MFP needs a fix. activities and adjusted calories are working fine but shows 0 for my steps
  • Ana_Kafonek
    Ana_Kafonek Posts: 1 Member
    my garmin steps are not syncing to my fitnesspal app. i went on the website thru my computer and unsync from both fitnesspal and then went thru garmin and synced to MFP, went back to MFP website and selected garmin as my step tracker... the MFP website shows garmin, however, when i go back to MFP app, it still fitbit as the selected step counter. i tried logging out hoping it would refresh... did not work. WHAT GIVES???? anyone having this issues?? MFP needs a fix. activities and adjusted calories are working fine but shows 0 for my steps

I have this exact same problem. Was a solution found?
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Does anyone see their steps in MFP, successfully synced from Garmin Connect?
    All my activities: swim, bike, strength, cardio, yoga, and walk (as an activity)... show up on MFP Exercise tab.
    The "Steps" app tab shows "Choose a Step Tracking Device", with Garmin Connect already selected, but there is no progress bar or history. So steps throughout the day (taken while not during an activity) do not show up anywhere.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    My steps are synced successfully. This is what it looks like in my diary:

ng8k2gv25c88.jpg
  • frankwbrown
    @Lietchi
    Does your Garmin device track only steps, or does it have activities as well?
  • Lietchi
    It has activities too (it's a Vivoactive 4s), I just didn't do any today 🙂
  • frankwbrown
    Thanks. I'm gonna try disconnect/reconnect.
  • Lietchi
    Just making sure: did you connect MFP and Garmin on both sides? Adding Garmin in the MFP app, but also adding MFP in Garmin Connect?
  • simondlh
    simondlh Posts: 1 Member
    In MFP it appears that my calories burned are being double counted. So my steps are being sent to MFP from Garmin, and my activities that generated those steps (walk/run) are also being counted. In Garmin it shows I've burned a total of 739 calories today yet in MFP it's has 1213 calories (screenshots below). Does anyone else have this problem?

6xcngpe3rme3.png

dolrlc33d51g.png
  • frankwbrown
    I've disconnected/reconnected Garmin Connect and MFP, to no effect. I had FitBit connected to MFP, but I removed it. Still, in MFP I will see "Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment" with some number of calories, but never any mention of steps. Under APPS/Steps, it shows "Choose a Step Tracking Device" with Garmin Connect already selected. But MFP has zero data on Steps. So, I've given up on seeing Steps in MFP.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited January 2021
    Have you selected it as your source for steps? https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers

I have mine connected for exercise but intentionally don't have it set for steps. You can turn it on and off seperately for steps.

Alternatively try playing with connecting/disconnecting via both the App and the Website, sometimes one works and the other doesn't and sometimes the syncing just doesn't play nice.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    simondlh wrote: »
    In MFP it appears that my calories burned are being double counted. So my steps are being sent to MFP from Garmin, and my activities that generated those steps (walk/run) are also being counted. In Garmin it shows I've burned a total of 739 calories today yet in MFP it's has 1213 calories (screenshots below). Does anyone else have this problem?

6xcngpe3rme3.png

dolrlc33d51g.png

It’s not double counting.

Garmin’s “active calories” is the number of calories you have burned while being ... active. That will include walking around your house, doing chores, playing with the kids/dog - anytime you’re not resting.

This is not the same as MFP’s exercise calories. The numbers should not match. That calories in/out screen on Garmin connect is of no value.

You want to look at the Calories part of Garmin connect (more->health->calories) to see your total calories burned.

How the sync between the two works:

Garmin sends over your total Calories burned for the day. Mfp then subtracts what it thinks you burned (which is whatever you would burn at your activity level setting plus any workouts). The difference is the amount of the adjustment that shows on the “steps” line in your diary.

You can see more details if you click on that line of your diary, then on the line that shows up in the next screen. If it’s before midnight; it is using a projected estimate for your total calories burned.

This difference is intended to capture movement you did over and above whatever your activity setting is.

Looking at your 12k steps at 6PM (with 6 hours of day left to go), and maybe a little more than half of those being from your run, I’m guessing your activity level is quite a bit more than what your setting is on mfp (sedentary is typically 3-5k steps for the day) - hence the larger adjustment for your steps.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I've disconnected/reconnected Garmin Connect and MFP, to no effect. I had FitBit connected to MFP, but I removed it. Still, in MFP I will see "Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment" with some number of calories, but never any mention of steps. Under APPS/Steps, it shows "Choose a Step Tracking Device" with Garmin Connect already selected. But MFP has zero data on Steps. So, I've given up on seeing Steps in MFP.

One last thing to try...make sure that Fitbit has also disconnected. You disconnected it on mfp, but there may still be a lingering permission at Fitbit that is the Hangup (Fitbit may still be trying to send things to mfp).
  • terry8jacobs
    terry8jacobs Posts: 1 Member

6xcngpe3rme3.png

dolrlc33d51g.png

6xcngpe3rme3.png

dolrlc33d51g.png

I don’t have any calories deducted from my garmin steps??

khuk8x2vufnn.jpeg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I don’t have any calories deducted from my garmin steps??

khuk8x2vufnn.jpeg

That steps figure is just that - only a figure. Like glasses of water drank.
    Neither has any calories associated with it.

Tap and hold on that line for Adjustment - and see what the figures are the 0 is based on.

Considering it's 0 - I'm not sure how you think no calories are deducted for that line.

Anyway - it means you are less active than your MFP activity level outside of the exercise.

In food settings you should enable Negative Adjustments so you correctly eat a bit less.
  • graemerenney
    graemerenney Posts: 1 Member
    This makes no sense, 'Considering it's 0 - I'm not sure how you think no calories are deducted for that line.' Why would the OP think any calories were deducted if the calorie deduction was zero?