Balancing cooking for others with watching calories

Options
My husband would eat pasta every day if he could. Or potatoes and meat. It’s what he likes, plus he says vegetables are hard on his digestive system. So far, I’ve just been measuring and eating a small portion of what he eats and then eating a lot of vegetables to go with it — like a small serving of baked rigatoni and a big bowl of broccoli. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Generally a workable solution to varying calorie needs in a family is for those with higher calorie needs to have bigger portions of more calorie dense foods and those with lower needs to have larger servings of lower calorie foods. Is the issue that you want to try lower calorie dishes that he isn't interested in eating? Many people here used the strategy of just having smaller portions of foods like pasta, potatoes, and meat (at least higher calorie meats) while they were losing weight.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I’d like to get him to eat healthier too. But part of my issue is that I need to find a way to get some other way to get protein. At least I think that’s the issue. The small portions of what he is eating and the focus on high volume low cal vegetables seems to leave me hungry. I’ve even been lightheaded a couple of times. So I feel like I need to spend my calorie budget better.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    There's a growing array of alternative pastas out there, many of which have considerably more protein than wheat pasta. I grabbed a box of chickpea-based penne for our lunches this week, for instance. It does have a slightly different taste and texture, but it isn't bad, just different. I don't know how it behaves in a baked pasta dish though.

Maybe also choose higher-protein dinners to begin with, like baked chicken thighs with roasted potatoes and asparagus - as a bonus, you can cook all of that at once on a sheet pan, just put the asparagus in for the last 10-15 minutes.

Your husband should also maybe see a doctor if vegetables upset his tummy so badly, and get some guidance on how best to figure out which are his specific trigger foods. It's probably not just all vegetables, period.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Options
    That’s a good idea. Thanks. Husband has been treated for IBS and colitis. Veggies are okay if they are cooked to death. Frankly, I think he needs to introduce veggies a little at a time and increase his tolerance for the fiber. But he’s been told by doctors to improve his diet and hasn’t. I can’t make him do it.
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. What I do, is make a larger portion of protein (I usually grill), a roasted veggie and a stacked salad.

As your husband enjoys his pasta, you still have your healthy meal.

You can try serving your meal Italian style. Pasta is a small course, before the protein.

Because mine prefers his protein smothered in a sauce, I’ll have that on the table as well.

I know it’s not ideal making a separate meal. Lucidly there are plenty of meal prep sites that will save you lots of time.

You got this! Proof- you asked for suggestions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    My husband would eat pasta every day if he could. Or potatoes and meat. It’s what he likes, plus he says vegetables are hard on his digestive system. So far, I’ve just been measuring and eating a small portion of what he eats and then eating a lot of vegetables to go with it — like a small serving of baked rigatoni and a big bowl of broccoli. Any other suggestions?
    I’d like to get him to eat healthier too. But part of my issue is that I need to find a way to get some other way to get protein. At least I think that’s the issue. The small portions of what he is eating and the focus on high volume low cal vegetables seems to leave me hungry. I’ve even been lightheaded a couple of times. So I feel like I need to spend my calorie budget better.

If the baked rigatoni did not have adequate protein in it I would also bake chicken. Maybe I'd bake chicken anyway - the oven is on and then I have chicken for lunches and snacks.

But in general, he has proportionally more starch and fat, I have proportionally more protein and veggies, and everyone is happy :)

I find it really helpful to prelog dinner before I eat it so I can see if my calories and macros are where I want them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    That’s a good idea. Thanks. Husband has been treated for IBS and colitis. Veggies are okay if they are cooked to death. Frankly, I think he needs to introduce veggies a little at a time and increase his tolerance for the fiber. But he’s been told by doctors to improve his diet and hasn’t. I can’t make him do it.

My Mom has IBS and finds these things helpful:
    1. Minimizing stress
    2. Regular exercise
    3. Acacia powder
    4. Eating insoluble fiber after soluble fiber

https://www.aboutibs.org/ibs-diet/dietary-fiber.html
    https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

It sounds like you’re doing all the cooking so you have huge control over what your husband and you are eating. Have you considered adding more veggies to dishes your husband likes, resulting in a healthier diet for him and a diet more inline with what you have in mind? For example my husband likes pasta bake, so I added grated veggies and mashed canned beans to increase the volume of veggies and pulses to ground beef. He never noticed a difference and enjoys it as much as ever. Adding more veggies to traditional meals in the cooking process can make them healthier and less calorie dense. And you could do this very slowly over time so as to avoid stomach upsets and also train your pallets to enjoy the flavors of veggies.

Alternatively, just make similar but different dishes, I cook two meals most evenings because my husband like really spicy food and I’m less keen, so I will make similar but different dishes. Everything that goes in my pan is carefully weighed, while the other pan is not and gets larger portions of start his and protein. I don’t think it takes any longer, it just means two pans to wash.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I add vegetables to chili and pasta sauce. Zucchini and yellow are barely noticeable. Sweet potatoes are good. Zoodles in place of pasta.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    For ground beef I buy for me the 96/4 while everyone else eats "normal" ground beef. I would share with hubby but he is not interested. For me I don't care to have my own meal plan cook seperate for hubby and the kids. I cook hot meals with fruits and veggies, but they are growing kids who I watch the portions, so it isn't a big deal for them if they eat a fattier meat then me. You have to figure out what you want for food and go from there. It is 100 percent ok to eat differently.

LORD JESUS bless 💟