This just doesn't make sense....

Options
Ok...here's some food for thought. I am an avid weight lifter....been doing it for 15 years. I stay well up on all the hype and trends with putting muscle on and losing fat etc... Just happened to be watching a show on prison life yesterday...what shocks me is how these dudes are BIG and RIPPED? I know they lift while in there...but they obviously have very limited access to food and supplements. Especially the old school myth of eating constantly , all day to put on muscle and it has to be the right type of food/calories etc... Is it just me or are these guys defying conventional wisdom and completely shattering everything we think we know about muscle and fat manipulation? Crazy.......

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You'd be suprised the crap they're allowed to have and the people that bring it to them. Yeah they can get protein shakes and supplements too.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about weight lifting or prison life, but I have to assume it has something to do with the fact that they're able to lift pretty much all day if they want to. It becomes their job. And I think they can work and earn money snacks, right? So maybe they're able to get their calories up there and bulk up?

I dunno, I'm totally basing my conjecture on my experience with prison movies and stereotypes.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure they can work and earn money to buy stuff from commissary.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If people are able to get drugs and other paraphenalia illegally in prison (yes, they can), it's not surprising to think they can get steroids. I highly doubt they have an interest in protein supllements and powders.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I worked as a correctional officer in a state prison. The inmates ate a lot of food. They got commisary (which was crap) and their Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Their typical breakfast was eggs, toast, some kind of meat, juice water and coffee.
    Lunch was like one type of meat, a vegtable, a bread, juice, coffee or tea.
    Dinner was similar to lunch. Everything is bland but they eat a lot..
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If they work in say the kitchen or such they earn money (not a lot), and most prison's have a prison store where they can buy snacks books ect. That and not to sound harsh, but what else do they have to do all day but work out. In some of the minimum security prison's they are able to order things from catalogs and such (supervised and from selected vendors).
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ok...here's some food for thought. I am an avid weight lifter....been doing it for 15 years.
    I'd be interested in links to some of your favorite articles and websites
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A lot of these guys got big and ripped before going to prison anyway. All they have to do now is maintain.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Teeheee........sorry. I used to be a co and they smuggle things in various orifices.....can you imagine a 5 pound can of protein powder?! The largest thing I had heard of prior is a carton of smokes, soft pack, the whole thing up the pooper......male jail.
    I know it is ridiculous but that was my thought :) just wrong!!

True they don't have much else to do, but where I worked there were only a few real buff and it was primarily body weight exercises due to misuse of gym. The penitentiary folks that we had transfered in were super buff.....crazy!
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Good points everyone.....just seems to me that it is all much more basic and uncomplicated to get the results than we are all led to believe. I know it's mostly propaganda by supplement companies and such to make money...but it really does seem to come down to putting in the time under the iron.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest difference, is they are able to get a lot more rest. Also, imagine the motivation... ya' know, gotta be big or be a bride.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Too true....lol
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Sounds like they could do a whole documentary on that in itself and a great point that I would like to know the answer to that myself. I saw that you love Tony Horton...me too....and was so cool that I got to meet him at a convention this past June and he laughed when I told him he was my "first" (workout program from home that is, lol). Can't wait for p90x2!!!

Feel free everyone to friend me for some calorie free food for thought and tips..... Colleen (Seattle)
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Hard not to love that guy.....52 years old and shredded....crazy.
    Hope I look like that in 15 years.

Oh and Coleen.....it looks like you could teach Tony a thing or two. You're in great shape!
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    The guys in prison are able to be completely jacked while eating only what is available to them for a few reasons. 1. They have nothing better to do! 2. Dominance in a prison setting to make sure that you aren't considered "weak" by the others is really important, so...you work out..and work out...and work out!

I have been strength training (strongman) for the last 2 years. I know basically all of the World's Strongest Man competitors. Those guys, yes are dedicated to the gym. BUT all of them have family lives and obligations. The reason they are so strong, and ripped is because they have been dedicated to it for YEARS upon YEARS.

Keep up the good work, and you will see progress! : )
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    I have seen progress and am happy where I am now....but DAMN, I have been way over-analyzing the whole thing...!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Prisoners are fed carbs because they are cheap. They also have more time than the average person.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest difference, is they are able to get a lot more rest. Also, imagine the motivation... ya' know, gotta be big or be a bride.

Peer pressure motivates like nothing else!! If your 'celly' wants to workout...you work out! BTW there are a large number of provincial and federal prisons that have "canteen/commesary" and protien powder and bars are available and very popular.
    I cant help but wonder if I was in a relatively controlled environment, with the threat of unwanted "BRO-mances" or "suitors" how motivated I would be to work out constantly too!! LOL
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    OP: i think you raise a great point. I have no answer, but love reading people's reasoning...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok...here's some food for thought. I am an avid weight lifter....been doing it for 15 years. I stay well up on all the hype and trends with putting muscle on and losing fat etc... Just happened to be watching a show on prison life yesterday...what shocks me is how these dudes are BIG and RIPPED? I know they lift while in there...but they obviously have very limited access to food and supplements. Especially the old school myth of eating constantly , all day to put on muscle and it has to be the right type of food/calories etc... Is it just me or are these guys defying conventional wisdom and completely shattering everything we think we know about muscle and fat manipulation? Crazy.......

No, they are not defying conventional wisdom.....................They are just proving more and more how conventional wisdom is full of *kitten*.