Timex HR Monitor

Options
Dear MFP fam, I recently got a timex HR monitor however it seems like the calories burnt is just way too high so I called the company and they sent me a calorie calculator where you enter your weight, Average heart rate and minutes that you worked out, and the number (while not identical since the calculator doesn't ask for sex or age) is still approximately the same. I would really appreciate it if you guys checked it out for me and entered ur info and told me if it's accurate. I can't copy and paste it in status or send it through PM. I will need an email address where I can forward it to you. For those of you who have HR monitors and if don't mind giving me your email address, please PM me the address.. :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Return the Timex and get a Polar! Timex won't be accurate, no matter what you do or who gives you their info.

Timex is awful at estimating calories because they do not account for age, sex, height or Vo2Max. They always assume that you are a male.. which if you are a female, means that you get a very inflated calorie burn.
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ok, i juist got my timex HRM personal trainer- I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW OR WHERE TO ENTER MY WEIGHT?!?!?? THE DIRECTIONS ARE ABSOLUTLY NO HELP!! so please help me!!
  • Sevhera
    Options
    ok, i juist got my timex HRM personal trainer- I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW OR WHERE TO ENTER MY WEIGHT?!?!?? THE DIRECTIONS ARE ABSOLUTLY NO HELP!! so please help me!!

I went to youtube and followed this guy..i'm copying and pasting the link for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW3yh8VKuE
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Timex doesn't have the technology that Polar has honestly. But the most accurate Polars are the FT series and up. I have the Polar FT60 and although my burns are way less than people without HRMs/with cheaper HRMs I trust the numbers I get. I also have a Garmin 405CX and trust what it gives me too. I see people with some insane burns that I just know aren't right, but I feel pretty confident with my burns!

I say return your Timex. If you can't afford a good model Polar, just use MFPs numbers...because honestly they're probably just about the same as a cheap HRM.