Insomnia

Xiao_Ya_
Xiao_Ya_ Posts: 495 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone!
I've always been a late sleeper, and I know that it isn't very helpful when it comes to weight, mood, and overall health. The earliest I can fall asleep is around 3am, and I typically fall asleep anywhere from 3am to 6am. This wouldn't be a problem if I could sleep in late, but I automatically wake up at 6:27am every morning. I try to limit screen time before bed, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also try to have limited distractions and set a routine, but somehow, I can't make myself sleepy. Unfortunately, I cannot nap in the day because even though I may be tired, I'm not sleepy.
I'm tired on a lot of days, although I've gotten used to functioning "efficiently" on 1-4 hours of sleep. For the time being, I don't mind at all as I can function just fine, I think, but I think it would be an unhealthy habit to sustain in the long run. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear. :)

Replies

• cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    I wish I had solid advice for you. I had a similar problem to you. Couldn't fall asleep at night but also couldn't nap during the day (unless on a bus lol). I finally had to go to the doctors and get something to help me sleep.

I tried no screens, set bed time, set wake up time, exercise in the morning, sleepytime tea, reading, dark room, cooler room, no caffeine after 12pm, nothing but sleep and sex on my bed/in my room, no food 2 hours before sleep, a small snack before bed, warm milk, rain sounds, forest sounds etc.

I swear I tried everything. I have to take pills and listen to Bob Ross to be able to sleep properly. Make sure you've tried everything I've listed above.

I do recommend Bob Ross on YouTube. He is a painter who has such a calming voice. Even the painting sounds are calming and relaxing!

Good luck!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    I got the absolute cheapest weighted blanket I could find on amazon, figuring no harm done if I hated it.

I slept better the first night with it. For some reason the weight helps with my joint aches, and since my joints don’t ache as bad, the tossing and turning to get comfortable is way reduced. It’s also very comforting to have that weight on me. I think it’s similar the effect a thunder vest has on dogs.

Cons are you cannot throw them in the washer, and if you do need to turn over, it can be a major production- although part of that is the pillow between my knees. I also worry what will happen if evil cat sinks his claws into it and since glass beads skittering in ever direction. I keep it folded and over the bed rail during the day because he likes to sleep on it otherwise.

I got the 15 pound twin size, which was enough for my side without disturbing my husband.

As it turns out, the cheapest one has been perfectly adequate.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I got the absolute cheapest weighted blanket I could find on amazon, figuring no harm done if I hated it.

I slept better the first night with it. For some reason the weight helps with my joint aches, and since my joints don’t ache as bad, the tossing and turning to get comfortable is way reduced. It’s also very comforting to have that weight on me. I think it’s similar the effect a thunder vest has on dogs.

Cons are you cannot throw them in the washer, and if you do need to turn over, it can be a major production- although part of that is the pillow between my knees. I also worry what will happen if evil cat sinks his claws into it and since glass beads skittering in ever direction. I keep it folded and over the bed rail during the day because he likes to sleep on it otherwise.

I got the 15 pound twin size, which was enough for my side without disturbing my husband.

Id love one, just to try it if nothing else, but I cant have anything 'non washable'. Im allergic to our cats and dogs, so they don't sleep on the bed with us, but they DO get on it during the day (mainly a cat). I have to change my bedding at least once, and sometimes twice a week to cur down on the dander. not to mention every once in a while, the dogs get the zoomies after coming in and jump up on the bed, leaving behind wonderful stains. LOL
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Wow..... I can so much relate to this thread! I have had insomnia for years. I usually sleep about 4-5 hours a night (interrupted several times) on a GOOD night. When I am really desperate and have something important the next day I may take a prescription sleep aid but really try not to do that. I can certainly understand how people get addicted to that. I have thought of the weighted blanket but hate to buy something that may not help and they are a bit pricey right? I've cut my caffeine way down too Nothing seems to help. I am retired now but when I worked I would literally feel like a Zombie. @AnnPT77 thank you for sharing your experience. I have thought of hypnosis and may try that after this pandemic.
  • GrammyG0505
    GrammyG0505 Posts: 193 Member
    I only sleep about 90 minutes at a time. My best time to sleep is 5-8 am or pm. I use a Cpap and melatonin. To try and get sleep. Today I took a nap which is not normal. Usually I cat nap 20 minutes and am fine today 4 hrs. So I guess I won’t sleep much tonight.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    I listen to sleep meditation & hypnosis at night from YouTube. I’m at the point where I can barely get 2 seconds in before I pass out. It’s like my mind knows immediately to turn off now.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I have insomnia. I found that the main reason i can't fall a sleep at a reasonable time is because my stomach was not content. So i started skipping lunch and eating dinner late. So i would eat basicly lunch and dinner together and would get tired soon after and sleep like a baby. Of course what works for me, won't work for everyone.
  • sarah7591
    I have insomnia. I found that the main reason i can't fall a sleep at a reasonable time is because my stomach was not content. So i started skipping lunch and eating dinner late. So i would eat basicly lunch and dinner together and would get tired soon after and sleep like a baby. Of course what works for me, won't work for everyone.

That makes sense to me because something I think I am hungry. I try not to eat after 7pm. I couldn't skip lunch though I would be just too hungry. I also try to watch my carbs (prediabetic) which I think interferes with my sleep. If I eat a lot of carbs I will sleep well but I just can't do that.
  • sarah7591
    edited January 2021
    I only sleep about 90 minutes at a time. My best time to sleep is 5-8 am or pm. I use a Cpap and melatonin. To try and get sleep. Today I took a nap which is not normal. Usually I cat nap 20 minutes and am fine today 4 hrs. So I guess I won’t sleep much tonight.

How much melatonin do you take? I bought a bottle (1 gram i think) and it did not help but wondering if I am taking enough. Thank you in advance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Id love one, just to try it if nothing else, but I cant have anything 'non washable'. Im allergic to our cats and dogs, so they don't sleep on the bed with us, but they DO get on it during the day (mainly a cat). I have to change my bedding at least once, and sometimes twice a week to cur down on the dander. not to mention every once in a while, the dogs get the zoomies after coming in and jump up on the bed, leaving behind wonderful stains. LOL

I keep my non-washable weighted blanket on top of a sheet and below a quilt, so it is safe from animal hair.

Another option would be to get a duvet cover for it.

If no off-the-shelf duvet covers of a close-enough size are available, one could be made very easily by cutting sheets to the right size and sewing together. I don't use a sewing machine and since my mom is 83 I don't think it's fair to make her sew for me anymore, so I'd bring it to a tailor. The tailor could add buttons and button holes on the open side.

I have a VERY heavy wool comforter that I used to have to wrestle in and out of a duvet cover. A weighted blanket would be easier as they are smaller.
  • kshama2001
    sarah7591 wrote: »

How much melatonin do you take? I bought a bottle (1 gram i think) and it did not help but wondering if I am taking enough. Thank you in advance.

I'm sure your melatonin is 1 mg, not 1 g. I take 1 mg regular release and if I wake up around 2-3 AM I might take a 3 mg chewable. Don't take over 5 mg - too much can be counter-productive.

I take stuff in addition to melatonin and at my age (54) would be taking more than 1 mg if that was all I took. (We make less of it naturally as we age.)
  • kshama2001
    Hello everyone!
    I've always been a late sleeper, and I know that it isn't very helpful when it comes to weight, mood, and overall health. The earliest I can fall asleep is around 3am, and I typically fall asleep anywhere from 3am to 6am. This wouldn't be a problem if I could sleep in late, but I automatically wake up at 6:27am every morning. I try to limit screen time before bed, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also try to have limited distractions and set a routine, but somehow, I can't make myself sleepy. Unfortunately, I cannot nap in the day because even though I may be tired, I'm not sleepy.
    I'm tired on a lot of days, although I've gotten used to functioning "efficiently" on 1-4 hours of sleep. For the time being, I don't mind at all as I can function just fine, I think, but I think it would be an unhealthy habit to sustain in the long run. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear. :)

I see a lot of "try" - I have to be VERY disciplined in my sleep hygiene to have a chance at a good night's sleep.

do-or-do-not.jpg

For me the biggest challenge is fluid intake - my last beverage MUST be decaf and it MUST be mostly consumed before 6 PM, else my bladder will wake me.

Are you exercising? I know this is challenging when we are sleep deprived, but it is crucial to my sleep. I can do something like gentle yoga close to bedtime, but doing anything more vigorous must be done earlier.

Melatonin could be helpful to reset your clock. I recommend quick dissolve/chewable for your falling sleep issue.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    How are you doing on caffeine? I used to have mad insomnia. I had to quit drinking coffee. Now I drink a cup of black tea but I'd sleep even better without that. Chocolate or dessert right before bed will ruin my sleep. You already know about screen time and a weighted blanket has been mentioned. Have you tried ASMR? It helps a lot of people get to sleep. How about exercise? I sleep so much better when I exercise.
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Hello- I’ve also dealt with insomnia off and on for years. Biggest help I ever found with it was guided meditation (I just used the calm app). If I remember correctly it had options for like 2 minutes-20 minutes. Stress and difficulty with a “shut off switch” always made mine worse- as an online grad student with 3 littles under 7 my body would still be humming by the time I hit the bed and just couldn’t figure out that it was time to stop and sleep. Guided meditation would force me to focus on and relax each part of my body which really helped. I’d follow that up with white noise- also on a free app- just so my mind had something relaxing to focus on instead of lay wake thinking about the 100 things always on my to do list. I removed screens from my bedroom, made a strict rule for myself no phone in bed, aside from meditation and setting up my white noise. I wanted to try a weighted blanket as others suggested but was too poor to splurge on a possible fix. Sleep aids always made me super groggy the next day, so never used them.
    Hope some of the suggestions you’ve been give help- insomnia really sucks!