Honest opinion required...

Options
I got myself what I thought was a nice dress yesterday and wore it last night to see my 2 friends for my birthday. I never usually wear dresses and wanted to start wearing them more often now i'm a little happier with my shape.

We had a picture taken last night and I put it on facebook, whereby a good friend of mine (who always gives her honest opinion) told me that it didn't really look good and it 'ages' me. To be honest, it is a terrible picture of me but the comment really cut me deep. I already have big issues with my self esteem and this just knocked my confidence right back. I just wanted to know if I really do look as bad as she made me feel...

This dress by the way is sleeveless. I just wear a black shrug over the top to hide my awful fatty arms.

307213_2236199817268_1016144222_2532509_1565277848_n.jpg

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    Well, here's my honest opinion. Your friend is jealous of you.. You look fabulous. I really mean that, I mean I don't even know you so why would I lie?

How in the world does a dress "age" you? LOL!!!!
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That dress does great things for your legs! Personally I'd go without the dark shrug. Maybe something lighter in color, or a shawl. Also, I wouldn't let her comments get to you, even if she is known to be honest with you. Is she a fashion expert? And did you feel good before all that?
  • jocelyn1959
    Options
    You look o.k. to me, don`t know what your friend is on about !!:smile:
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Personally I think its absolutely gorgeous and does not age you a bit from what I can see from your profile pics. (I also really like it with your black shrug)

I have noticed that some people like floral dresses and not others. I am suggesting this might have more to do with personal choice than age. I have a 23 year old daughter who seems pleased that I have put on some weight as now I don't mind when she borrows my floral dress.

Remember it is only her opinion. I think you should go with what you feel.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and the dress is cute. And I love the shoes too!

And Happy Birthday too!
  • cjasins
    Options
    It's a cute dress and I think you look great!
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think your dress is gorgeous and you look lovely. I agree that perhaps a little green eye'd monster has appeared in your so called "friend". I would ignore her. You enjoy your beautiful dress. xxx
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's a really cute dress that's flattering to your shape. It's not frumpy or anything. I don't see what she was talking about.
  • Roxstar75
    Roxstar75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. You look great. It's nice to have honest friends, but they should never really belittle you in any means! To me, your friend is extremely jealous. The dress is adorable. She just doesn't have good taste!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic and the dress was a great choice, especially if you like it. Some people don't like large patterns or associate them with 70's fashion, maybe that's what made her feel that way. Big patterns seem to be everywhere in clothes these days and I'm not a huge fan of them for myself - but the dress you have on is so cute and perfect, the pattern splashed on the skirt area. It's gorgeous and fun and girly! You rocked it :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about fashion, so regarding the specific criticism your friend had about the dress, I feel pretty ignorant. But, I think you look great, and you look even nicer than your friends did! If I would have been at the restaurant/bar/club or wherever you went, I would have thought to myself, "Gee, that girl looks nice," not, "Nice try girl, but that dress ages you." And I would have noticed you.

You liked it enough to buy it, and you must have felt somewhat confident that you looked good in it.
    GO WITH THAT!
    Rock the confidence, and you could get away with wearing a burlap sack.
  • Lachsis
    Lachsis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    honest opinion? Ok.

First, you are very pretty. So you have no reason to feel bad at all.
    But, in my honest opinion, the dress is nice, but not a good choice. It makes you look pale. And the black shrug makes it worse.
    Maybe it wouldn't look that "strict" with different shoes?
    But, seriously, I don't think it "ages" you.
  • whispiri
    whispiri Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you look great in it. I have been eyeing up those skinny girl dresses for a while. I am jealous that you can look so good in it. Maybe it is just not your friend's taste or like one other person said......she is probably Jealous. I haven't been able to wear something that short for a long time. I have probably at least another 20 to 25 lbs to go before I even consider something like that. In my opinion, that dress makes you look younger. Keep up the good work girl! You deserve a new dress!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    OK, don't know how old you are, but you look like you're in your early 20s. It doesn't age you nor does it look "mature" but it does look professional. I think it looks great on you. Be happy with yourself. If you think you have trouble picking out styles, look at what your friends are wearing-the girl in the jeans needs a redo.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    An honest opinion, isn't always a good one!
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you look perfectly fine and that dress is cute. :)
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like your picture! I think that dress flatters you and looks very cute on you. I would say you look picture perfect. Enjoy your dress and your new look.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To start, I have two daughters (21 and 24) so I put on my "what would they say/think" glasses. I think they would think it's a pretty dress and not their personal style (one is vintage-y, the other more "sophisticated yet trendy"). Bottom line--did YOU like it and how you looked in it? If so, really really try to ignore so-called "well meaning" comments from friends/acquaintances.

You look mature, confident, and classic, so if that's what your friend meant by "aging" you, well, you should thank her for the compliment! You don't look trashy or over-stuffed into a too-tight dress. (And I will admit that I'm certain that in my 20's I was guilty of both of those at times, even though I thought I looked wonderful.)
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you look great in a dress. I think your friend's comment refers to the dress and not you (although she's being rude as hell). You're pretty young so I think you could wear a dress that has a little more shape and a younger print... floral prints tend to look frumpy on a lot of people (myself included). Don't be afraid of dresses (because you can def wear them!) but try to find a young, flirty style that shows off your figure. Decide which of your parts you like best... I love my legs but hate my tummy, so i try to find styles that show off my long legs and camo my tum tum... try not to cover everything because that will make you look frumpy and hide all of your goods. Chose something that makes you feel great and confident and your age! Anyway, happy to help you find a fun dress anytime!! : )
  • Here_kittykitty
    Here_kittykitty Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The way you started out, I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to see once I scrolled down - a train wreck, maybe? Ummm... no. The length of your dress and the shrug are both something younger people wear, so I don't understand how the outfit "ages" you.

But since I also struggle with self-esteem issues, I can totally understand how an off-hand comment can tear you down. Please, don't let it. You liked the outfit when you put it, or you wouldn't have worn it to begin with! And unless you specifically asked your friend for her opinion (I'm not sure if you did), then she shouldn't have offered an unsolicited critique. And by the way, you have beautiful, shiny hair and nice legs, which are things many of us wish we had! So just let it roll off your back - you look lovely in the pic.

Happy Birthday!