How much weight is normal to lose each week?

Options
Hi Friends, I’m new to MFP and eating whole and unprocessed foods. I know everyone is different, but can someone please let me know how much weight do people normally lose each week on average for a male in early 40’s (or what is the range). Personally, I am aiming to consume 1500 calories per day and exercising at least 30min of cardio (skip rope, jogging and hitting the punching bag) and lifting some free weights. I am also drinking lots more water and only snacking on health snacks like nuts and dried banana. Thanks.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    As a general guideline for a healthy rate of loss:

43hjotc3knk5.jpg

1500 is the bare minimum for men, to ensure adequate nutrition. And inappropriate for a lot of men. But without knowing your personal stats and goals, it's hard to tell if it's appropriate for you. How did you arrive at that number?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Chadwick_J wrote: »
    Hi Friends, I’m new to MFP and eating whole and unprocessed foods. I know everyone is different, but can someone please let me know how much weight do people normally lose each week on average for a male in early 40’s (or what is the range). Personally, I am aiming to consume 1500 calories per day and exercising at least 30min of cardio (skip rope, jogging and hitting the punching bag) and lifting some free weights. I am also drinking lots more water and only snacking on health snacks like nuts and dried banana. Thanks.

See the chart @lietchi posted above. The heavier you are, the more weight you can healthily lose per week.

I would also be skeptical that 1500 is enough calories per day for you (without knowing your current weight). Are you eating back exercise calories? Because you are supposed to, using this app.

I'm 5'9, and an almost 46-year-old female, and I can lose on 2000 calories per day.

Also - is that your daughter in your profile pic?!? She's adorable!!!
  • Chadwick_J
    Chadwick_J Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

43hjotc3knk5.jpg

1500 is the bare minimum for men, to ensure adequate nutrition. And inappropriate for a lot of men. But without knowing your personal stats and goals, it's hard to tell if it's appropriate for you. How did you arrive at that number?

I entered my goals and stats in a website and that was the amount suggested.
  • Chadwick_J
    Options
    Chadwick_J wrote: »

See the chart @lietchi posted above. The heavier you are, the more weight you can healthily lose per week.

I would also be skeptical that 1500 is enough calories per day for you (without knowing your current weight). Are you eating back exercise calories? Because you are supposed to, using this app.

I'm 5'9, and an almost 46-year-old female, and I can lose on 2000 calories per day.

Also - is that your daughter in your profile pic?!? She's adorable!!!

Yes, I am eating back exercise calories. This App is great for helping me work out all the calories! 😃 Been testing different foods to keep me full longer as I’ve always struggled with hunger when trying to diet. I think my survival instincts kick in when I diet and I usually end up eating more than I should. Apart from the physical hunger, I’m finding a large portion of keeping fit and eating healthy is discipline and being self motivated. It’s so easy to grab a burger and milkshake 😂

I am 5’7 and ~75kg.

Yep, that’s my little sweet. 😁

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

43hjotc3knk5.jpg

This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Your plan is the same as mine. My "sedentary TDEE" is ~2000kcals/day, so MFP subtracts 500 to give a plan of 1500kcals/day. This should produce a ~1lb/week weight loss on average. Exercising burns a few more kcals and you can add in for them. The accuracy of all this isn't perfect, so expect some variation. Also, your body weight can easily vary day-to-day by more than 1lb, so it's best to weigh in the morning after the toilet and watch the trend over several days.

The graphic shown in this thread is re-posted a lot. I don't agree with the advice of going with a smaller deficit if you have less to lose. More important is what daily calorie deficit you are comfortable maintaining. I think anything less than 25% is pretty sustainable (e.g., 500 out of 2000kcals/day). I shoot for this deficit any time my weight spikes significantly above my goal and it works well.

If you don't like living with a 25% calorie deficit, try going lower. There's usually no reason no rush!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    For the question "How much weight is normal to lose each week?", the answer is not straightforward.

In my case, I was creating a deficit to lose .5 lbs per week. I had months where I lost zero pounds and months when I lost 5 pounds. My average loss was close to the 2 pounds per month of my target.

So, expect weeks when you gain and weeks when you lose more than your goal. This will be especially true if you only weigh-in weekly because everyone's weight fluctuates on a daily basis (there's a popular link for this). Many people prefer weighing each morning and using a weight trend app, like Libra or Happy Scale, to get a truer picture.
  • Chadwick_J
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I’m learning a lot from each comment especially from those who are giving advice from your personal experience.

This community and MFP App is brilliant. It’s certainly making the journey easier with everyone’s support. I wish you all the best week ahead.
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started my journey about a year ago. I've lost 72lbs; I was losing 1.5 to 2lbs a week when I started. I'm close to goal and I'm currently losing between 0.5 and 1lb a week.

Per the app I should eat 1450 calories a day. That's 300 less than when I started. I still miss those calories. Lol

I workout 5 times a day for 40 minutes. I choose to bank most of the workout calories and use them on Saturdays and Sundays. It's worked well for me. I feel like I'm cheating when I'm not. Many others don't do this, but it helps me enjoy a couple of meals and drinks. I still log everything to ensure I'm staying on track.
  • brendog79
    brendog79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started at 382lbs and lost 32lbs the first month. The next 4 months I lost 14 to 20 lbs each month. Im currently losing 8-9 lbs a month the last 3 months. Current weight is 259lbs after 8 months.