Tendonitis in the foot and running

Options
Do any of you know if it would be a REALLY bad idea to run today when i've just been diagnosed with tendonitis in my foot? I had a cortisone shot yesterday and am actually feeling really good today - no pain and hardly any tightness, but I don't want to regret it tomorrow or put myself out of being able to work out next week. It's the Arlington 9/11 Memorial 5K in DC and I really would feel less like a participant if I am just walking. I know it's stupid but I feel more purposeful as a runner. Advice welcome!

Replies

• SheWei
    SheWei Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just posted something a few days ago about pain in my foot and felt as if it was plantar faciitis. One of the things I took from the advice, was my shoes were probably to blame. I wear nike shox and I am doing more harm than good by using them. Also, stretching my feet before a work out was another advise. Take it easy, do your run tomorrow, but afterwards, stretch and maybe put your feet on ice for a few minutes at a time to relieve swelling? Good luck to you.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Who diagnosed you? And what did they have to say about it?

I have tendonitis and am training for a marathon and have barely managed to get approval to keep training. It really depends on how bad it is, how strong your body is/can handle the impact of running and that's all to be determined by a qualified medical professional.

So in my case, I would run tomorrow (and am running 16 miles), but in your case it really depends.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a cortisone shot in my foot a few weeks ago for peroneal tendonitis in my left foot from running. The podiatrist said NOT to run for at least 3 days. I waited 4. Also do not do any long runs for at least a week. I was anxious to run again and I listened to the doc.. glad I did. I have been fine since!