quick and low fat foods??

Options
I am a single mom and work full time and my big downfall is eating out.. A lot of the times I am exhausted and don't really feel like cooking after work, so the drive thru always calls my name. Anyone have any ideas of some low fat meals that are quick and easy.. maybe kid friendly too??

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Grab a rotisserie chicken, applesauce & carrots. Cook the carrots for you & let the kids dip theirs in ranch.
  • jlucei7
    Options
    A can of tuna and a banana.
  • Jayme0218
    Options
    Drive thru items I've found are McDonalds - Classic Grilled with no mayo and a parfait and at Burger King I do the tendergrill no mayo and apple fries. Subway is always good too.
  • mpcass
    Options
    Taco salad with seasoned ground turkey and fat free refried beans, I even eat it with some baked chips. MUY BUENO!
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    All great ideas.. thanks! :)
  • ellenbrasier
    Options
    McDonalds has a low carb/ low calarie menue, You just have to look on the board, not sure about drive though but know it is inside. It has like oatmeal with rasins, yougurt parfair, things like that. I have made a meal o Act II Microwave popcorn. A bag is with butter is 124 calories and filling if eaten slow. which gives you some ideals, not sure about children , because I only have the 4 legged kind at home any more. So kids meal with apple something and they run it off a lot faster than we do.

Just some suggestions.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favourite quick meals....

Cod in butter sauce with homemade chips or vegetables (They are in the frozen section of the supermarket and only take a few minutes to cook in the microwave) They are around 100 calories each which is good and low in fat.

Pasta twirls with onions, mushrooms & passata poured over.

Tins of low fat soup with Ryvita dipped in.

Ready meals such as Weight Watchers or Rosemary Conley Solo Slim meals (www.rosemaryconley.com).

Hot roast chicken from the supermarket served with a side salad.

Homemade soups (I sometimes make quick ones using frozen mixed vegetables, add some stock then blitz).

Chicken satay, chicken fillets, served with vegetables and gravy.

If I eat out I go to places like Subway and have their low calorie options, Harvester is fantastic too all the meals are shown what calories are in them, Mcdonalds I love their wraps.

Hope this helps.

x
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    When I go to McDonalds now I get the buffalo snack wrap with grilled chicken and a small fry...it's around 300 calories for the both.

As for 'at home' food, take something out of the freezer in the morning before work so that it's thawed when you get home. Plan your meals ahead of time. I've always wanted to be one of those moms who makes a week's worth of meals on Sunday and freezes them (in my dreams!! But I have friends who do it and it works really well for them!!) We buy lots of lean ground beef, extra lean ground chicken, boneless skinless chicken breast...stuff that can be thrown in a pan and cooked in 20 minutes or less. Brown your ground meat with some diced onion and a little garlic, boil some rice, combine it all with some pasta sauce and a little cheese, instant casserole. :)

Edited to add: a crock-pot can be your best friend!!
  • Mrsmannix
    Mrsmannix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh yum, this actually sounds really good! =) Hard to find good diet food!
  • geraldm55
    Options
    I've started stirfrying lots of different veggys or making veggy packs and doing them on the bbq. throw in lots of spices (garlic, onion, pepper etc.) and they taste great it's quick and it has low calories. my kids (18,19) have begone requesting them because of the flavors.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili is low fat because the meat has been cooked and rinsed a couple times. Chili with a salad with ff dressing or chili with plain potato is pretty low fat. Hint: if you like spicy foods, always ask for their hot chili seasoning, it's so good! And I think 10 cals a package.

At home I am keeping a big batch of salad made up with all the cut up veggies I like. This batch is bagged salad (iceberg, carrots, and purple cabbage) + spinach + romaine+ cut up cucumber + cut up baby bell peppers. I add in some chopped tomato and top with some tuna, possibly a T of hummus and some low fat dressing. It's so much easier to eat a salad if it's ready to go and you don't have to chop!

Keeping a good low fat soup on hand (veggie, bean, lentil, etc) and eating a bowl of that while you're deciding what to eat can help you from eating junk too, and then when you do eat something it will be less since your hunger isn't so crazy.
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I hit up fast food places but I get grilled chicken instead of fried, and no bun and ask for extra lettuce to wrap it myself when I get home. Most snack wraps t mc donalds are under 300 calories, get a side salad and put on your wn dressing when you get home.