Is 2lbs a week too much to expect?

Options
Hi,
I currently weigh 178lbs, female, 167cm tall.
My goal is to weigh 150lbs and perhaps less when i reach it but for now 150 is my target.

I know i don't have a great deal to lose but nearly 30lbs is quite a lot.

Is it possible to still lose 2lbs a week like when i had more weight to lose and what sort of calorie goal should i be looking at each day?

Thanks for any insights.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Probably. With so little to lose, a slower rate is usually recommended.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Probably. 2 Lbs per week doesn't sound like a lot, but it's very aggressive. It is likely that your TDEE isn't high enough at your current weight to support 2 Lbs per week...not to mention you will be at the bottom cutoff calorie wise. I would aim for 1 Lb per week. I lost 40 Lbs years ago, and that was my average rate of loss and it slowed considerably towards the end. I'm currently dropping 20 Lbs of my COVID weight and aiming for the same thing...1 Lb per week. I don't really have the fat stores to go faster...particularly not without being completely miserable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Yes. 1% of your body weight per week should be your goal. As for calories, look to find out what your BMR is and start by eating up to there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Slow and steady wins this race

btpsa76kc2vl.png
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Just use your MFP home page.. put your stats in and let the program figure it for you. It is structured to not let you lose too much or eat at too low of a deficit.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 2lbs per week is way too aggressive for someone as small as you are. Someone twice your size could do it, for a while, but it's a really tough thing to sustain for very long, and even they would need to slow it down as they got closer and closer to goal.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    HerNameIsMischief Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel a bit better being as fat as I am...I can lose almost 3 lbs per week safely.
  • WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This makes me feel a bit better being as fat as I am...I can lose almost 3 lbs per week safely.

What is your weight and height? Do you know how many calories a day you are eating?
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    6'3", about 275 right now. I've been drinking 2000-2500 calories a day in addition to eating. I'm just getting started.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    6'3", about 275 right now. I've been drinking 2000-2500 calories a day in addition to eating. I'm just getting started.

3lbs per week is probably too aggressive for you, actually - 1%, 2.75 lbs, would be the theoretical maximum, and the infographic even says that 1% isn't necessarily what you should aim for on a weekly basis, just that you shouldn't try to do more than that. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Also, if you're eating (how much?) on top of drinking 2500 calories a day, are you also walking the earth tirelessly like some kind of sleepless automaton (or do you have a full-time job that involves 12-14 hour days of intense physical labor)? Because you are almost assuredly taking in more calories than you're burning, if not. Also, when you say you're drinking all those calories, do you mean in the form of beer/liquor? Or like, smoothies/meal replacement shakes?
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    No, it's mostly beer now. That's why I'm saying I can probably lose that much. I know I can't drink alcohol and expect to lose weight, hence me mentioning I have just started.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    I see. Well, good job taking the first steps toward living healthier. If you haven't already, you may want to consult a medical professional for support and guidance as you transition away from getting most of your calories from beer. Alcohol is a tricksy bugger, it messes with your head-brain and your gut-brain both, and withdrawal can be an actual life-threatening medical emergency.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it. Don’t let the schedule in your head. If you want to lose weight and keep it gone very little changes at goal weight. Trying to lose on an ambitious schedule usually stems from the desire to get the diet suffering over with. But suffering isn’t needed.

Weight loss has 2 parts- eating in a calorie deficit and living with it. Try to find some moderate changes you can make to get a downward trend going. Then ride the trend. If you eventually stop losing, make more moderate adjustments until you start losing again. Pay attention to how you are living. Don’t make changes you don’t think you can stick with long term.
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think the problem can be if you try and lose too aggressively you're having to be so strict that you end up getting stressed and frustrated and either falling into a binge cycle, or just being unable to make the goal and then feeling really down and demotivated.

If you aim for 1lb a week then it's much more sustainable, and you're more likely to be able to be consistent and keep it off. Hang in there x