Help! I eat when I'm not hungry

Options
cinnamon930267
cinnamon930267 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my weight loss journey AGAIN the first of the month. I had been doing really well cutting down on carbs/sugar (I'm a diabetic) but now I have fallen off the wagon and just seem to be binge eating and I don't know how to stop.

Replies

• Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi It could be because your calories are too low. This also happens to me when I have gone too low in the past, hope you sort it! I know it can be really upsetting
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Don't go it alone, if you don't have to, particularly if your health is being affected. Be open to all forms of help: dieticians, psychologists, life coaches. Be willing to invest in yourself, if you can. Best of luck!
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That sounds really annoying.

Now, different strategies work for different people, but here are a few tips that MIGHT help you. See if any of them works.

If you are binging on snack food /unhealthy things get rid of them. It is harder to binge on something if it is not in the house. Not impossible, especially if there is a shop nearby, but harder.

If you want to snack replace your snack food with healthier and/or lower calorie options. Simply healthier if you can afford eating more calories (in which case almonds or nuts can be quite great), low calorie otherwise. Pre-cut vegetable sticks, kale chips, seaweed chips, or a piece of fruit are options, for example.

Do things outside, away from food as much as possible. Walk, or garden, or just sit down where there are no people with a good book. (If COVID rules in your area allow you just chilling outside). - Hard to eat if there is no food, and doing something else might distract from wanting to eat, too.

If you are home find hobbies that occupy your hands while you watch TV. Knit or sew, crochet, make cards, draw, colour in colouring books... whatever works to keep your hands busy and you distracted away from eating.

As I said, these might or might not work for you, but trying out things won't hurt, right?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    This is some really great advice here, esp @callsitlikeiseeit and @SouthWestLondon

The only thing I can add to these great posts is to try some new snack foods. You really can “teach” your tastebuds.

My day isn’t complete without cottage cheese and fruit. I love it and look forward to it more than I ever did sacks and sacks of candy. I thought I didn’t like sugar free products. I’ve learned some can be very tasty- syrups, jello, pudding. Beef jerky, satisfying snack and filling, too. A simple navel orange. Soooo many tasty foods I overlooked in pursuit of a quick sugar buzz!

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This is some really great advice here, esp @callsitlikeiseeit and @SouthWestLondon

The only thing I can add to these great posts is to try some new snack foods. You really can “teach” your tastebuds.

My day isn’t complete without cottage cheese and fruit. I love it and look forward to it more than I ever did sacks and sacks of candy. I thought I didn’t like sugar free products. I’ve learned some can be very tasty- syrups, jello, pudding. Beef jerky, satisfying snack and filling, too. A simple navel orange. Soooo many tasty foods I overlooked in pursuit of a quick sugar buzz!

I believe this to be true, too! I think the more conscious I've become about trying to eat a lot less added/refined sugar is that my craving for it has gone down. I look forward to my daily Honeycrisp apple, and it's kind of like my healthy treat to myself! Don't get me wrong, I still eat homemade cake, cookies and some candy, but I really feel like for the most part, I can have one or a small piece and not feel like I need to eat more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food. Additionally, mild to moderate exercise appears to work as a mild appetite suppressant for me.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.