Would this irk anyone else....

Options
Speakeasy76
Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
or am I being overly sensitive? Well, I know I'm overly sensitive, but wondering if this is weird to anyone else.

During a work Zoom staff meeting, we could share are personal/professional achievements from 2020 (I work for a small, close-knit company). I decided to share that I dropped a little over a pant size, going from a size 10 to 8 at 5'8. This was kind of a big deal for me to share it, because I don't like tooting my own horn, especially when it comes to stuff like this. Also, even though it's not a lot of weight, it was kind of a big deal for me to overcome the mental hurdle of losing those last few stubborn pounds in a healthy, maintainable way.

After I shared that, my colleague said "Well, not to outdo you, but I lost 12 pant sizes." OK. Well, she didn't actually lose 12 pant sizes, it was six. The reason I know this is because almost every week at our "sharing good news" time, she'd tell us how much weight she lost on her "journey to health." She also emailed us to invite us to her Facebook live event with her "reveal," telling everyone how much she lost and before/after pictures (which she posted the whole time anyway). I should mention that she lost it through one of those MLM companies and now calls herself a health coach. Even though it's not a way I'd attempt to lose weight (restricting certain foods, eating some of the company's pre-packaged foods), if it worked for her to be able to maintain it, great! She does look great, and I know she's struggled with her weight for awhile. It's just that we all knew this already, and the way she said it right after me (when I'd never shared this before and no one really knew because we've only seen each other a few times in person), it felt weird.

Would this bother anyone else?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Options
    LOL--douche canoe :D !

In her defense, I generally like her and I don't know if she realized that she actually lost 6 pants sizes instead of 12 (16-4=6 pant sizes), but the timing of it was so weird.

Most of my coworkers were quiet and I think they may have been a bit stunned, too, so I don't think I was the only one who thought it was weird.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Definitely inconsiderate and self-centered of her. She should have kindly and sincerely acknowledged your accomplishment and continued on with her own thing on her own time.

Don't let it bother you though! Great accomplishment on your part. Enjoy it!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    sean_ct wrote: »
    or am I being overly sensitive? Well, I know I'm overly sensitive, but wondering if this is weird to anyone else.

During a work Zoom staff meeting, we could share are personal/professional achievements from 2020 (I work for a small, close-knit company). I decided to share that I dropped a little over a pant size, going from a size 10 to 8 at 5'8. This was kind of a big deal for me to share it, because I don't like tooting my own horn, especially when it comes to stuff like this. Also, even though it's not a lot of weight, it was kind of a big deal for me to overcome the mental hurdle of losing those last few stubborn pounds in a healthy, maintainable way.

After I shared that, my colleague said "Well, not to outdo you, but I lost 12 pant sizes." OK. Well, she didn't actually lose 12 pant sizes, it was six. The reason I know this is because almost every week at our "sharing good news" time, she'd tell us how much weight she lost on her "journey to health." She also emailed us to invite us to her Facebook live event with her "reveal," telling everyone how much she lost and before/after pictures (which she posted the whole time anyway). I should mention that she lost it through one of those MLM companies and now calls herself a health coach. Even though it's not a way I'd attempt to lose weight (restricting certain foods, eating some of the company's pre-packaged foods), if it worked for her to be able to maintain it, great! She does look great, and I know she's struggled with her weight for awhile. It's just that we all knew this already, and the way she said it right after me (when I'd never shared this before and no one really knew because we've only seen each other a few times in person), it felt weird.

Yes. She sounds like a douche canoe.

That. 100%

Third-ed. Those types of folk are usually the "one uppers" of the world, always needing to be better, do better and show off to everyone else.

There was NO other mentioned motivation outside of the fact that you had shared your success, so she felt she needed to one up you and be the center of attention.

Sorry she rained all over your success parade. That's crappy.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

That. 100%

Third-ed. Those types of folk are usually the "one uppers" of the world, always needing to be better, do better and show off to everyone else.

There was NO other mentioned motivation outside of the fact that you had shared your success, so she felt she needed to one up you and be the center of attention.

I did forget to mention that it was technically her turn to share her personal accomplishments, but she just happened to go right after me so the timing was just really off.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

That. 100%

That's exactly what I was thinking but maybe it was because of the timing.

Honestly, the whole having to share achievements things would irk me. :) But congrats, op, on the those last few lbs/size because it really isn't all that easy at that point.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

That. 100%

I did forget to mention that it was technically her turn to share her personal accomplishments, but she just happened to go right after me so the timing was just really off.

I hope you're correct and it was just unfortunate timing. Hopefully, though.. you don't let that event rain on the rest of your success. That's great!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. YOU have worked hard for your success and should be very happy and proud of your achievement. {HUGS}
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think that she was already set on what she was going to share with the group and it was a coincidence her turn followed yours. If she hadn't started out mentioning that she wasn't trying to outdo you and got right into her story, would you still have wondered in the back of your mind if she was trying to subtlety outdo you? Or maybe she truly meant that she didn't want her story to look like it was outdoing yours and thus wanted to make the disclaimer.

You'll never know for sure and therein lies the lesson. It's all a bunch of conjecture. We should just be happy for people who are getting the results they want. If they're happy, be happy for them. If they're nutty, let them be nutty. We spend so much time and energy reading into things that we'll never be able to confirm. How is that helping me with what I'm trying to do?

I find that so much of weight loss and fitness culture is filled with toxicity. I've never seen so many adults pit themselves against others and use the methods and successes of others as a barometer for their own. Who gives a *kitten*? Take what you like from these peoples' stories to empower yourself and whatever doesn't resonate, leave it. We just gotta do us and let them do them. And if they want to do us, that's ok too.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @chuckle_bunny Well said!!

Don't let what she said undermine what you feel about your own success. Be happy for both of you but embrace what YOU did for YOU.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think that she was already set on what she was going to share with the group and it was a coincidence her turn followed yours. If she hadn't started out mentioning that she wasn't trying to outdo you and got right into her story, would you still have wondered in the back of your mind if she was trying to subtlety outdo you? Or maybe she truly meant that she didn't want her story to look like it was outdoing yours and thus wanted to make the disclaimer.

You'll never know for sure and therein lies the lesson. It's all a bunch of conjecture. We should just be happy for people who are getting the results they want. If they're happy, be happy for them. If they're nutty, let them be nutty. We spend so much time and energy reading into things that we'll never be able to confirm. How is that helping me with what I'm trying to do?

I find that so much of weight loss and fitness culture is filled with toxicity. I've never seen so many adults pit themselves against others and use the methods and successes of others as a barometer for their own. Who gives a *kitten*? Take what you like from these peoples' stories to empower yourself and whatever doesn't resonate, leave it. We just gotta do us and let them do them. And if they want to do us, that's ok too.

This is good 👍
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I agree, there is definitely a lot of negativity in the weight loss and fitness industry as well.

I do like her (even if her personality is a lot different than mine) and I don't thinks he was intentionally trying to one-up me. It just kind of deflated me a bit, especially because we already knew about all the weight loss ( and that she essentially doubled her weight loss amount when sharing her achievement). It was more
    like a "WTF?" moment, and I think others may have been a bit stunned too.

Truth be told, I'm a bit jealous she could lose weight so quickly and stay on a more restrictive diet...I know I couldn't do that! Hopefully she can keep it off. I also was annoyed that she started calling herself a "health coach" because I was seriously looking into legit online programs for this as a second career. You're completely right, though. I should let her do her, and not let it affect my own goals and achievements.